• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Unai Emery: Adios

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tir Na Nog

Changes Opinion Every 5 Minutes

I'm assuming a little here but I get the impression that Emery can be a little negligent of players at times. Just something I get from piecing together what certain players and ex-players are saying. He's pragmatic but misses a warmth and influence over the group that Wenger had. Wenger ended up with too much on his plate but he was good at making players feel included, you hear that time and time again. We're gonna need that if we want to keep the fringe youngsters around with the half-opportunities we're giving them. And as I said, we shouldn't discard what they can offer. Bielik looked very good on his loan, so let's see what he's got. What's the next step? Or else, what was he ever here for? Because he's done what he could.

Loads of managers have different approaches tho which can yield positive results. Roy Keane used to talk about Fergie being different from Clough and how cold Fergie was with his players in comparison to the warmth from Clough. Or how Benitez would barely even talk to Gerrard, yet even Gerrard admitted his best spell in a Liverpool shirt and their most successful period between 1990 until Klopp came in was under Benitez.

Some managers simply want to get the best out of the core group of players at his disposal, other managers like Wenger will treat everyone from the captain to the tea lady as equals.

I honestly don't think Emery not talking to fringe players will have much of a baring on where we finish the season and I honestly don't think it'll have a huge impact on a potential young player signing for the club. Let's not forget he was PSG manager when Mbappe was persuaded to join, He did persuade Guendouzi here and gave him plenty of opportunities which I'm sure other young players will look at. I'm sure if you asked Maitland-Niles, Willock or Smith-Rowe they'd have nothing but praise for the opportunities they've been given under Emery.

Aevi

Hale End FC
Loads of managers have different approaches tho which can yield positive results. Roy Keane used to talk about Fergie being different from Clough and how cold Fergie was with his players in comparison to the warmth from Clough. Or how Benitez would barely even talk to Gerrard, yet even Gerrard admitted his best spell in a Liverpool shirt and their most successful period between 1990 until Klopp came in was under Benitez.

Some managers simply want to get the best out of the core group of players at his disposal, other managers like Wenger will treat everyone from the captain to the tea lady as equals.

I honestly don't think Emery not talking to fringe players will have much of a baring on where we finish the season and I honestly don't think it'll have a huge impact on a potential young player signing for the club. Let's not forget he was PSG manager when Mbappe was persuaded to join, He did persuade Guendouzi here and gave him plenty of opportunities which I'm sure other young players will look at. I'm sure if you asked Maitland-Niles, Willock or Smith-Rowe they'd have nothing but praise for the opportunities they've been given under Emery.
Fair points.

I guess I just prefer a different approach. Maybe someone like Freddie can play that role for him.

Aevi

Hale End FC
Wouldn't Ben Knapper speak to Bielik since he's the loan manager?
Maybe but that doesn't matter for me. It's clear by the comments that Wenger would have talked to him as well. I recall some other loaned player (I forget who, this was a couple seasons ago) saying how he was also regularly keeping in touch with the club (including Wenger) to keep up with what their expectations were. In my opinion, Emery should at least be communicating what his plans for the players are, he is the manager after all. Other logistics can be for other people to manage. You can very well see that the lack of understanding between Bielik/Bramall and Emery is something they miss.

Tir Na Nog

Changes Opinion Every 5 Minutes

Also I think people forget that Emery is simply the first team coach, we all know Wenger did way more that went beyond being a coach. Emery probably just doesn't see it as being part of his job to communicate with players he doesn't see as part of the first team. He let's others deal with that. Loads of clubs operate like this, some of the most successful clubs in the world operate like this.

A_G

Rice Rice Baby 🎼🎵
Maybe but that doesn't matter for me. It's clear by the comments that Wenger would have talked to him as well. I recall some other loaned player (I forget who, this was a couple seasons ago) saying how he was also regularly keeping in touch with the club (including Wenger) to keep up with what their expectations were. In my opinion, Emery should at least be communicating what his plans for the players are, he is the manager after all. Other logistics can be for other people to manage. You can very well see that the lack of understanding between Bielik/Bramall and Emery is something they miss.
Of course Wenger would talk to them, he signed them and had a relationship with them. Bielik said it himself, the club changed and now there's a head coach (instead of a manager) whose purview doesn't include loanees. That's why they created the position of loan manager. Emery doesn't need to communicate with Bramall about his plans for him, leaving him out of the Europa squad was an indication of what he thinks of him.

Aevi

Hale End FC
Also I think people forget that Emery is simply the first team coach, we all know Wenger did way more that went beyond being a coach. Emery probably just doesn't see it as being part of his job to communicate with players he doesn't see as part of the first team. He let's others deal with that. Loads of clubs operate like this, some of the most successful clubs in the world operate like this.
Well actually he's the head coach. Nothing in the title actually restricts him to the first team, it just says he's at the top of the coach hierarchy.

Aevi

Hale End FC
Of course Wenger would talk to them, he signed them and had a relationship with them. Bielik said it himself, the club changed and now there's a head coach (instead of a manager) whose purview doesn't include loanees. That's why they created the position of loan manager. Emery doesn't need to communicate with Bramall about his plans for him, leaving him out of the Europa squad was an indication of what he thinks of him.
I'm not saying Emery needs to be the one most responsible for all these players, just that he has the responsibility to let the players know what he plans for them. That can be done in one or two conversations, but it needs to be done. If anything, it's just basic respect for them.

Makingtrax

Worships in the house of Wenger 🙏
Trusted ⭐

Player:Saliba
Our club has changed beyond belief.

Gone is the homely approach where players felt part of a family. Wenger gave the club a classy ethos that no other club had. It valued employees from cleaners to superstars, it gave the club a broadsheet appeal rather than a tabloid feel, in a sport where here in the UK players and managers are often derided for not having a lot between their ears. And it drew academics, the middle classes, politicians and entertainers . . . all keen to be associated with a cool football team where the manager gave witty quotes and was the hero of the press.

But fans got rid of Wenger because they wanted a more ruthless approach to the business. A cut and thrust results based system where managers and players who can’t cut the mustard are out there on their ear pretty quickly . . . with proper fans on the terraces instead of baby boomers and maybe even lower ticket prices.

So there’s no point in expecting our youngsters to be mollycoddled, I’m with @Tir Na Nog . Of course the key point is will the new approach improve our football standing. Well, there maybe wholesale changes of staff but Kroenke is still here and there’s no sign yet of us spending greater than 5th.

Only time will tell the if the new corporate Arsenal will deliver, but I think we’ve got no choice but to stick with it instead of whinging about how people are treated. What’s done is done.

Aevi

Hale End FC
I don't see how a coach telling their player what they plan for them is molleycoddling, and how saying nothing to them is being cutthroat. Communicating their future to them is basic.

I don't want to debate about specific logistics like this though. We have different views here, fair enough.

Jury

A-M's drunk uncle

Gone is the homely approach where players felt part of a family. Wenger gave the club a classy ethos that no other club had. It valued employees from cleaners to superstars, it gave the club a broadsheet appeal rather than a tabloid feel, in a sport where here in the UK players and managers are often derided for not having a lot between their ears. And it drew academics, the middle classes, politicians and entertainers . . . all keen to be associated with a cool football team where the manager gave witty quotes and was the hero of the press.

But fans got rid of Wenger because they wanted a more ruthless approach to the business. A cut and thrust results based system where managers and players who can’t cut the mustard are out there on their ear pretty quickly . . . with proper fans on the terraces instead of baby boomers and maybe even lower ticket prices.

So there’s no point in expecting our youngsters to be mollycoddled, I’m with @Tir Na Nog . Of course the key point is will the new approach improve our football standing. Well, there maybe wholesale changes of staff but Kroenke is still here and there’s no sign yet of us spending greater than 5th.

Only time will tell the if the new corporate Arsenal will deliver, but I think we’ve got no choice but to stick with it instead of whinging about how people are treated. What’s done is done.
Why you talking about Wenger again? I thought it was wrong?

Jury

A-M's drunk uncle
This narrative is boll*cks. Wenger burn’t off dozens of top managers over 20 years straight, with a lot less money than his last two seasons, and never failed once to achieve top 4.

The only thing that changed was that fans were bored with top 4 and FACups and took him down with a very sustained and high profile campaign that made his job and the team’s job impossible. And even then he only dropped out by one point and won an FA Cup in the first season of protests.
ffs, we dropped out of the top 4 two seasons running and were pissing money up the wall. How many times do you have to be reminded of this? It happened.

I said after the first time we finished outside the top 4 that the owners wouldn't tolerate another blowout because it would prove even harder to catch up. We got 6th the next season, and they pulled the trigger. Or did they? I'm sure I've read about 6 different versions from you about how he disappeared. Are you sure you're settled on he was sacked then? :lol:

ThisFather

Fan of Alpha Males
Look, even Chelsea are feeling such pity for us bottling CL after beating us. They sold their best player, got a transfer ban, sacked their over-performing coach and are about to hire an ex player as manager. All just to give us a chance next season. Then we have Man U who will sack their manager come Christmas and hire someone capable of defending their 6th place championship belt.

There's no excuses next season. We'll have the 4th best squad imo.

OneAW!

Wenger only missed top 4 because he and Gazidis were at war with one another, because Gaz kept ****ing up and was undermining Wenger's hard work and putting the long-term success of the club at risk.

This combined with Gaz's failure to properly extend Sanchez and Özil's contracts earlier, when it would have been cheaper, and the instability it brought to the club together with the failure to properly extend Ramsey cost us CL two years running. Even then Wenger only narrowly missed out on CL in the first year, won the FA cup, and it only really hurt in the final year, when the instability became too much to handle.

Despite this he almost won the Uefa Cup, narrowly losing out to an Atletico Madrid side who were second only to Barca and above CL winners Madrid! Thats Wenger, a manager who constantly overachieves! Probably would have done better in the league if CL qualification was still in play when Wenger successfully restructured the club, with the help of superior executives like Sanllehi, Fahmy and even Mislintat.

He was forced out by the same board who have overseen 15 years of failure and only now want to get back to the same project Wenger and Dein instituted 15 years ago when we had to deal with the debt and locked in long-term sponsorship, and are selling it as snake oil to the fans.

This squad is a lot better than Emery allowed it to show. He can't work with top players, its why they kicked him out of PSG. He spent half the season keeping Özil out of the squad and let Ramsey go for free. Wenger would have achieved a hell of a lot more had he had a whole season with this squad. Ramsey, Özil and Aubameyang are 3 of the absolute best players in this league.

Jury

A-M's drunk uncle
Even the older bods on this forum have only ever been watching Arsenal since Wenger was in charge. Stands to reason with the younger ones. From what I read, it seems they think that there is one way to skin a cat and that’s it. I don’t even think it’s got much to do with football. Arguments like “yeah Wenger spoke to all the players and this guy doesn’t”... Like that matters. We’re not trying to build a care home.

I read ages ago that that was not even the case anyway.I read that a lot of the younger players at the club barely get to see Wenger, let alone speak to him or be given updates etc. He had players he fancied and the rest were frozen out. Again, doesn’t even matter. Who benefited from that? How many youngsters broke through under the alleged mollycoddle regime? This notion that he was mates with everybody and it was one huge family is pure fantasy.

Last edited:

BigPoppaPump

Reeling from Laca & Kos nightmares

‘Homely approach where players felt like part of a family’ yeah then they **** off the second a richer teams comes around, or they stay around way past their welcome because we gave them too much money and they’re too crap so no one is willing to pay them.

All that sentimental classy stuff is just PR for the fans to buy into and think they support the good samaritans. While all these billionaire teams take our best players.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arsenal Quotes

My job is to give people who work hard all week something to enjoy on Saturdays and Wednesdays

Arsène Wenger

Latest posts

Top Bottom