• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Was Robin Van Persie right?

PrinzPoldi

Player:Havertz
Fair point but RVP only really had 1 top season at Man U so was never gonna be remembered as a legend. At the end of the day he achieved what he wanted a prem winners medal & that wasn't happening here.
As I said before few very top players will stay at clubs that are not seriously competitive & in the mix for the top prizes.
We had over a decade of doing well to finish top 4 but pretty much not being serious challengers come the business end of the season.
Consider he hadn't won the WC, Euro, CL... the PL is the only medal/trophy that he could have to finish off his career.
In sheer abilities, he was WC. I understand why he opted that way.
If he was going to send out a public letter, be apologetic, rather than using "my little boy inside me" as an excuse.
Just say you want to win the PL before retiring.

Mrs Bergkamp

Double Dusted
Dusted 🔻
Could've had both by leaving for Juventus or even City. Even staying a season or two longer playing with Cazorla Özil and Alexis instead of Gervinho and Ox he could've won a title.

Fans are dickheads sure but if the one place you spent most of your career ends up hating your guts you probably made a dumb decision.
I think he called Utd home when he signed and loads of Gooners replyed by saying that we must have been a hotel lol. Mason Mount did the whole this is home thing too. It kind of burns bridges with the club you left.

lomekian

Essays are my thing
Interesting that he says GAZIDIS decided he didn’t agree with any of his conditions. A-Ms being telling me for years that Wenger controlled everything from the colour of RVPs jock strap to type of tea served in the hospitality suite. Lol.
If RVP was making demands that were even remotely relevant to Gazidis rather than Wenger, he was vastly overstepping the mark in terms of what a player can realistically have input into.

Dokaka

AM's resident Hammer
If RVP was making demands that were even remotely relevant to Gazidis rather than Wenger, he was vastly overstepping the mark in terms of what a player can realistically have input into.

That's not true. The sporting/technical director and sometimes owner plays a much bigger part in contract negotiations than the manager does. Completely reasonable that Gazidis (or someone else above Wenger) laid out their plans for the future and RVP thought nah this ain't it. Happens at every club, especially for their top players.

The manager is way less involved in contract negotiations and transfers than you'd think, depending on the club of course.

Maybe

You're wrong, no?
Surely guys like Mbappe, Messi and Ronaldo before him were doing worse things but those clubs still kept them.

There was very little ambition at the club back then and I can accept that RvP wanted more and asked for more.

Makingtrax

Worships in the house of Wenger 🙏
Trusted ⭐

Player:Saliba
There was very little ambition at the club back then and I can accept that RvP wanted more and asked for more.
There was loads of ambition. They’d borrowed up to the hilt to build a brand new stadium. Now the debt is no longer a problem we’re reaping the benefits of that sacrifice today by being a buying club instead of selling club to richer teams.

Sapient Hawk

Destiny's Hand 🖐🏿
Trusted ⭐

There was loads of ambition. They’d borrowed up to the hilt to build a brand new stadium. Now the debt is no longer a problem we’re reaping the benefits of that sacrifice today by being a buying club instead of selling club to richer teams.

Pity the man who oversaw the project himself didn't survive long enough to reap the benefits.

Oxeki

Match Day Thread Merchant
Trusted ⭐

If we hadn't built the Emirates, we would probably had won a title or two, but long term, we would have been ****ed.

The Emirates cost circa 400m. If we'd wait a few years, it would easily had cost triple that. Why do you think Chelsea of all teams are scared to build a new stadium?

Barça are gonna paying their stadium debt for next 30 years when theirs is done.

It's not wenger's fault that the gulf states and oil barons got bored and decided to start funding our rivals.

We're now one of the biggest spenders in Europe because we didn't eat our seed

Maybe

You're wrong, no?
Didn't we have a thread here a while ago where it was said owners didn't want to invest much until they got rid of Usmanov?

Now you are saying there was ambition but those 2 things don't really match, do they?

ArsenesCoatMaker

Established Member
If we hadn't built the Emirates, we would probably had won a title or two, but long term, we would have been ****ed.

The Emirates cost circa 400m. If we'd wait a few years, it would easily had cost triple that. Why do you think Chelsea of all teams are scared to build a new stadium?

Barça are gonna paying their stadium debt for next 30 years when theirs is done.

It's not wenger's fault that the gulf states and oil barons got bored and decided to start funding our rivals.

Actually it's something about Chelsea fans owning Stamford Bridge

Makingtrax

Worships in the house of Wenger 🙏
Trusted ⭐

Didn't we have a thread here a while ago where it was said owners didn't want to invest much until they got rid of Usmanov?

Now you are saying there was ambition but those 2 things don't really match, do they?
The debt has reduced significantly from 530m in 2008, 300m in 2016, 144m in 2020, then it was refinanced. It must be less than 100m now. I see what you’re getting at now though. Probably a double reason why the club is spending so much.

Blankety Blank

emoji merchant

Maybe but Sp**s Stadium cost way more & doesn't seem to have hamstrung them as much as the Emirates did for us.
Not sure Chelsea have the fan base for a bigger stadium. Although they could maybe sell extra tickets to tourists?
Arsène thought ffp was gonna be a big thing but unfortunately it didn't start to kick in until way too late to halt the domination of Chelsea & then Man City.

Since the nation state/oligarch clubs became a thing we have not won the title.

If more checks had been in place to stop these clubs perhaps things would have been different?

Oxeki

Match Day Thread Merchant
Trusted ⭐

I find it a bit strange that our title challenge collapsed because one of our cb got injured last season.

2016 half out starters were injured but Wenger got abused for not winning the league despite coming second with one of the worst injury list of the modern era.

Arsenal Quotes

I don’t look at the passport of people; I look at their quality and their attitude.

Arsène Wenger

Latest posts

Top Bottom