• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

What makes an Arsenal player a club legend?

Macho

In search of Pure Profit 💸
Dusted 🔻

Interesting stuff past few comments, while I personally do not regard xhaka a legend he has been pretty good this past two seasons and was always had his moments before that plus he has two fa cups

Kane will be a Sp**s legend if he left tomorrow despite not winning anything but i think being a legend is sometimes hard to describe . It has to be a player going above and beyond the cause and delivering magical moments that helps a team, sometimes that is enough . sometimes it is trophies on top of that.

Just because someone wins a trophy does not mean they are a legend. dani cellboas would be considered one . if he won the cup with a team who never win anything then maybe but we have a rich history of winners despite the past decade or so of not being the best.

Any legends post Highbury in your opinion?

Riou

In The Winchester, Waiting For This To Blow Over

Player:Gabriel
Think it depends how successful you are as a club too, tbh...think it's almost impossible to be a legend at Arsenal without a league title, of the top of my head I would only say Liam Brady (Cesc probably was too before his move to Chelsea, but would knock him down to cult guy now)

It's why I always like the three tier system, Ex Player - Cult Hero - Club Legend...think it's the fairest way.

Take Xhaka for example...You can't put him next to Henry, Bergkamp, etc...but likewise as a two time cup winner, you can't put him next to Andre San-Tosspot or Squillaci.

Put Granit on the same table as Sagna, Cazorla and dem man.

Sparrahork

To answer the question on the post "if Bergman says he is, he is!"🤣

In all seriousness someone else compared him to santi, I think Santi is a level above granit.

I really like xhaka. I love his attitude (now but also to an extent being willing to express himself when fans on his back), I was often frustrated that we never quite got the Swiss international xhaka, well until the last couple of seasons anyway.

For me rather than rating him similarly to santi, I see him as a same level as giroud. Both are divisive marmite players who many will not rate fully when here but bemoan their loss greatly when they are gone.

With xhaka we are bound to lose leadership (despite our several national captains), worse than that we are going to miss elite level ****housery.

When it comes to ****housery no one can question that he is one of the greatest of all times. Last couple of years he seems to have avoided cards whilst being at the absolute epicentre of shenanigans...what a legend!💪

Blood on the Tracks

AG's best friend, role model and mentor.
Trusted ⭐

Player:Rice
I couldn't put anyone of the past 15 odd years in the club legend bracket. I don't even think anyones that close tbh bar Wenger who's a slam dunk obviously.

Great player, longevity, trophies and memorable moments. You need to tick at least 3, if not 4 of those brackets to hit club legend for me.

Legend is the highest accolade you can give an Arsenal player, you can't be handing that status out like confetti. When I think of a legend I think of someone that wouldn't be out of place with a statue outside the Emirates.

Xhaka has had an up and down career here, had the longevity and a really good season this year. He's miles off legendary status though let's be realistic. He's in the solid pro category. It would be disrespectful to put him in a category with someone like Thierry Henry to be blunt.

Özil, Sanchez, RVP, Cazorla, Sagna, whoever else you want, none of them do I view as legendary and if you've seen Henry, Bergkamp, Adams etc play and their impact on the club you wouldn't dream of putting any of those other guys in such a rarified category.

Macho

Dusted 🔻

We may have to create an Emirates legend category.

Last edited:

Riou

Markjindrakevolution1.jpg

Entropics

Established Member

Player:Saka
Give me back the threads about getting Arteta some psychological help to fix his bottling, this Xhaka legend spam is really boring stuff.

BergMan

Betrayed by Xhaka
Xhaka is a legend. Like I said in the other thread, how can players like Pat Jennings, Charlie Nicolas and others from the 70’s or 80’s who have won only one fa cup and nothing else be legends but not Granit Xhaka who has won Arsenal 4 trophies, got to 2 other cup finals and has 225 appearances (top 15 all time Arsenal caps). When you consider all that, Xhaka has to be a legend, a big one.

Appearances is the most important factor to be a legend, but they have to have won trophies too, which Xhaka has.

Batman

Head of the Wayne foundation for benching Nketiah

Player:Saliba
Put Granit on the same table as Sagna, Cazorla and dem man.
Riou, I love you but this is insanity. Sagna and Cazorla gave us multiple seasons of elite football. Xhaka took 7 years to have one that wasn't average to catastrophic. The only way Xhaka should be allowed near their table is to refill the drinks.

Riou

Riou, I love you but this is insanity. Sagna and Cazorla gave us multiple seasons of elite football. Xhaka took 7 years to have one that wasn't average to catastrophic. The only way Xhaka should be allowed near their table is to refill the drinks.

I agree to an extent, especially about Sagna (if he had played in better teams, Bac would probably be seen as our best ever right back) but I don't think they are that far apart as Arsenal players in terms of legacy...certainly believe Granit deserves cult status, for the bad and the good, it's like a crazy story when you think about it.

But since it's ending well now with Xhaka and he has won trophies here too, I think him getting in a fight with our fans and all his brain-farts/reds actually add to his legacy now... "Oh another red for Granit, ain't he a little rascal!"

He has made his mark here.

BergMan

Betrayed by Xhaka

Xhaka is more successful with Arsenal than Sagna and Cazorla yet you put them above him?
If Xhaka was average how come every manager always picked him? Because it isn’t true, he was excellent, every season.

Batman

I couldn't put anyone of the past 15 odd years in the club legend bracket. I don't even think anyones that close tbh bar Wenger who's a slam dunk obviously.

Great player, longevity, trophies and memorable moments. You need to tick at least 3, if not 4 of those brackets to hit club legend for me.

Legend is the highest accolade you can give an Arsenal player, you can't be handing that status out like confetti. When I think of a legend I think of someone that wouldn't be out of place with a statue outside the Emirates.

Xhaka has had an up and down career here, had the longevity and a really good season this year. He's miles off legendary status though let's be realistic. He's in the solid pro category. It would be disrespectful to put him in a category with someone like Thierry Henry to be blunt.

Özil, Sanchez, RVP, Cazorla, Sagna, whoever else you want, none of them do I view as legendary and if you've seen Henry, Bergkamp, Adams etc play and their impact on the club you wouldn't dream of putting any of those other guys in such a rarified category.
Yeah I think it's a similar argument to the World Class argument. Sometimes people cheapen it (IMO) by adding in players who just happen to be having good seasons, like someone calling Rashford World Class for a 3 month purple patch when players like Vini Jr and Mbappe exist.

BergMan

Betrayed by Xhaka
Every category that qualifies someone to be a legend, Xhaka passed.
Trophies, appearances, longevity, popularity (in the end), ability, reliability, passion for the club. He has done it all.
Nobody can give me one valid reason why Granit Xhaka is not a legend. Not winning a premier league is not a valid reason as there are many on the official legend list that haven’t won it either.

Riou

Xhaka is more successful with Arsenal than Sagna and Cazorla yet you put them above him?
If Xhaka was average how come every manager always picked him? Because it isn’t true, he was excellent, every season.

Santi and him both have the same amount of trophies here, 2 FA cups and 2 Community Shields.

Macho

Dusted 🔻

Every category that qualifies someone to be a legend, Xhaka passed.
Trophies, appearances, longevity, popularity (in the end), ability, reliability, passion for the club. He has done it all.
Nobody can give me one valid reason why Granit Xhaka is not a legend. Not winning a premier league is not a valid reason as there are many on the official legend list that haven’t won it either.

He’s caused too much pain to ever be considered a legend sadly.

Lol the absolute bare minimum to qualify as a legend is not have so many people hate your guts for a start.

Batman

You're on ignore and I look forward to not dealing with this stupidity any longer after Sunday.

too soon show too soon the americans GIF

Arsenal Quotes

The English codified the rules of football just as the French perfected wine. We don't often ask an English person to come over to make Bordeaux.

Arsène Wenger: My Life in Red and White

Latest posts

Top Bottom