• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

When should Arsène Wenger have left ??

GDeep™

League is very weak
Can someone tell me why Stan kept giving Wenger contracts? I want to know because Wenger can’t give himself a contract.

So why was the club giving him contracts?

Because according to AM, we should’ve been hiring a Pep and chasing titles. So why did Stan keep giving new deals to Wenger and not get a title winning manager?

Red London

Anti-Simp Culture
Trusted ⭐
Can someone tell me why Stan kept giving Wenger contracts? I want to know because Wenger can’t give himself a contract.

Because according to AM, we should’ve been hiring a Pep and chasing titles. So why did Stan keep giving new deals to Wenger and not get a title winning manager?
I feel like this club literally froze for over a decade. Part of it is due to paying off the stadium, the rest of it is Kroenke being Silent Stan while leaving Gazidis in charge.

Seriously, we had no people upstairs with a football background. And the funny thing is we did it because we are a 'business club' who are obssessed by profits but we actually lost a **** tonne on a few decisions made in that time.

-Built the stadium just before football blew up in terms of revenue, the relative amount we paid was probably much higher
-Sitting on cash in a sport which is exponentially growing. £50m one day was worth £20m the next in the transfer market.
-Didn't adopt a model. If we at least commited to being a feeder club in that period then buy the right players, use the money you can to buy first rate talented players. Not people like Sanogo and Jenkinson. (This was before this youth buying craze inflated the cost of talented young players)
- Let player's contracts run down and either overpaying them or letting them leave for free/cheap. That alone has costs us hundreds of millions while other clubs almost never do it.

scytheavatar

Established Member

Gazidis made it clear a long time ago, the club had no plans beyond Wenger. Just leave everything to Wenger and he'll lead us to glory. A mindset which the fans had shared for a long, long time too. It was foolish to make Wenger a deity bigger than the club and we are still paying the price for it.

GeorgiaGunner

#FreeClaude
A year before Wenger left we drew with PSG twice, beat and drew Utd, drew with City, beat them in the FA cup, beat Chelsea in the league, and actually won a trophy. We dropped out of the CL, but thats better than anything since then.
He clearly outdid the post-Wenger status quo. Think that says more about Kroenke and Gazidis's incompetence than it does Arsène's prowess, though.

bingobob

A-M’s Resident Hunskelper
Trusted ⭐

The purse strings were eventually loosened and we won silverware. He believed Wenger could lead us to further glory.

Instead what happened was the Özil and Alexis signings gave us an injection of top quality but without a complete tactical overhaul that shot in the arm can only take you so far. It's a shame as we wasted what was for us a golden opportunity to cement our place at the top.

After winning the FA cup he should have went. Left on a high with a team ready to push on with the right adjustments.

Riou

In The Winchester, Waiting For This To Blow Over

Player:Gabriel
Phil Jackson left the Bulls in 1998 despite being offered a new deal, guess some people only care about money though.

bingobob

Trusted ⭐

This I never get. Why should he have left? Why would anyone leave when he is being offered a 7 M a year for coaching a football team?
He ended the trophy streak. Could have went out on an exceptional high after years of built up anger and frustration. Handed the reins over after securing the transition from Highbury to the Emirates.

To allow for a fresh perspective for the club he professes to love. Like the 30 goal a season striker who realises their best years are behind them and they cannot run like they use to. Or the full back who is now getting roasted by quicker more agile players because his knees have now gone. Go out with glory whilst the fans remember what you done not what you cost them.

The club shouldnt have offered him a new contract. That's the reality. Wenger should have been self aware to know that even if offered he needed to pass the torch on to continue his legacy. Providing them with a team that just won and was hungry for more that could be pushed on with fresh leadership.

GDeep™

League is very weak
I wonder if he could do it all again, different, would he? I think it’s easier to operate on the managerial merry go round.

From Arsenal to Real, Bayern, PSG, maybe manage
France, Germany, Japan etc. Big budgets, big players, big wages.

I bet Andreas Villas Boas has made more money than Wenger and he’s not 2% of the manager.

He loved Arsenal thought I guess.

GDeep™

League is very weak
There is always a lesson you can learn, with everything in life, what you see, what happens around you etc.

One thing I see is that sacrificing yourself for whatever, rarely never pays you back.

He ended the trophy streak. Could have went out on an exceptional high after years of built up anger and frustration. Handed the reins over after securing the transition from Highbury to the Emirates.

To allow for a fresh perspective for the club he professes to love. Like the 30 goal a season striker who realises their best years are behind them and they cannot run like they use to. Or the full back who is now getting roasted by quicker more agile players because his knees have now gone. Go out with glory whilst the fans remember what you done not what you cost them.

The club shouldnt have offered him a new contract. That's the reality. Wenger should have been self aware to know that even if offered he needed to pass the torch on to continue his legacy. Providing them with a team that just won and was hungry for more that could be pushed on with fresh leadership.

But it wasn't just the team that won the trophy. It was also Wenger who lead them to that trophy.

He was also hungry for more success after starting to see light at the end of tunnel, he believed after all the hard work and sacrifice he made earlier now he had a team that he could lead to glory.

Then he is offered a 7 M a year deal. Nobody is gonna say no to that. And I disagree when people put it on Wenger. This should be 100% on the higher-ups.

MD3 Gunner

All Deals Off
But it wasn't just the team that won the trophy. It was also Wenger who lead them to that trophy.

He was also hungry for more success after starting to see light at the end of tunnel, he believed after all the hard work and sacrifice he made earlier now he had a team that he could lead to glory.

Then he is offered a 7 M a year deal. Nobody is gonna say no to that. And I disagree when people put it on Wenger. This should be 100% on the higher-ups.
If he was hungry for more success then surely he would've signed a quality outfield player in 2015.. If only we had had a top striker that season..

If he was hungry for more success then surely he would've signed a quality outfield player in 2015.. If only we had had a top striker that season..

I'm sure Wenger would have signed the players had Gazidis and the other taking care of transfers and finance at the club would have allowed him that.

MD3 Gunner

All Deals Off
I'm sure Wenger would have signed the players had Gazidis and the other taking care of transfers and finance at the club would have allowed him that.
Then why when he was asked why he hadn't bought a single outfield player he replied "I couldn't find better than what I have" He even said we had 4 world class strikers when in reality Giroud was the only fit striker we had

Then why when he was asked why he hadn't bought a single outfield player he replied "I couldn't find better than what I have" He even said we had 4 world class strikers when in reality Giroud was the only fit striker we had

Just another case of Wenger taking the fall for the higher-ups. People really believe he would refuse a top striker that summer if Gazidis went out and got one? :lol::rofl:

bingobob

Trusted ⭐

I think both are to blame.

scytheavatar

Established Member
I wonder if he could do it all again, different, would he? I think it’s easier to operate on the managerial merry go round.

From Arsenal to Real, Bayern, PSG, maybe manage
France, Germany, Japan etc. Big budgets, big players, big wages.

I bet Andreas Villas Boas has made more money than Wenger and he’s not 2% of the manager.

He loved Arsenal thought I guess.

Wenger is one of the best paid managers in the world for like decades..... and that's possible only because he struck to us for so long. Big budgets, big players, big wages means big expectations and each sacking will only chip away Wenger's reputation until he has none left. He would have been Capello had he left us and gone on the managerial merry go round.

Mrs Bergkamp

Double Dusted
Dusted 🔻
With hindsight, 2017 after the FA Cup win meant he would have left on a high with a degree of redemption for the title failure the previous year. Sadly, Gazidis had no plan. The rest we know.

scytheavatar

Established Member
With hindsight, 2017 after the FA Cup win meant he would have left on a high with a degree of redemption for the title failure the previous year. Sadly, Gazidis had no plan. The rest we know.

Newflash: winning the FA cup means nothing. Wenger had won it a lot of times in the past already. Anyone who still cares about the FA cup at this day of age probably still believes Santa Claus exists. Louis van Gaal won the FA cup and that didn't stop Utd from sacking him. Wenger had to win the title again to prove that his methods are not outdated, and failure to do that meant that the era of Wengerball and Wenger values is history.

Arsenal Quotes

The English codified the rules of football just as the French perfected wine. We don't often ask an English person to come over to make Bordeaux.

Arsène Wenger: My Life in Red and White
Top Bottom