• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

When Was The Damage Done?

Bloodbather

Established Member

When we got a owner who has zero ambition how to win and only care about the value of the stocks in the club.

As much as it annoys me that the owner of the club isn't someone who is invested in the point of the club itself, Kroenke's failures don't stem simply from his disinterest, but also due to his apparent incompetence as a business manager. No competent business owner would remain unmoved when the value of the brand starts to diminish. I doubt Kroenke is thick enough not to realize that sporting success is an integral part of what makes the brand valuable.

field442

Hates Journalists Named James
Trusted ⭐
I don’t think it’s any coincidence we’ve struggled as more money has come into the league with bumper TV deals. Teams in general are just better now. We would generally beat most teams outside of the top 4/5 but as they’ve got better getting results against them got harder, especially away from home.

That also coincides with us signing some terrible players and making stupid signings. Xhaka, Mustafi, Perez will be a summer never forgotten. Signing Lacazette and then Auba six months later was ****ing idiotic. That’s £150m wasted. You can’t really afford to make poor signings anymore.

Last edited:

As much as it annoys me that the owner of the club isn't someone who is invested in the point of the club itself, Kroenke's failures don't stem simply from his disinterest, but also due to his incompetence as a business manager. No competent business owner would remain unmoved when the value of the brand starts to diminish. I doubt Kroenke is thick enough not to realize that sporting success is an integral part of what makes the brand valuable.

But is the value diminishing? It has doubled in value since he bought the club. For all, he cares he is doing great with this business.

Bloodbather

Established Member

But is the value diminishing? It has doubled in value since he bought the club. For all, he cares he is doing great with this business.

It has to be adjusted for inflation firstly, and you also have to look at it in relative terms. Arsenal's slice in the pie has diminished massively. The TV money is the biggest driver of income for elite European clubs, and being out of the Champions League has really reduced the club's potential revenue. Arsenal is also overly reliant on match-day income compared to other PL clubs, which will make the impact of Covid much greater compared to others.

Trilly

Hates A-M, Saka, Arteta and You
Trusted ⭐

In 2016 when the fan campaign of boycotts, planes, protests and social media rants put intolerable pressure on the team and management causing us to decline. It was no coincidence that Wenger dropped out of the top 4 for the first time in 20 years when all that started.
Definitely.

Mo Britain

Doom Monger
The day Kronke joined the board. He came in under false pretenses, giving the impression that he would invest in the club but it was clearly never his intention and Dein was naive to believe this.

Once Kronke got a significant share in the club he was never going to allow anyone else to invest in it since he would have had to provide proportional funds himself and he had no intention of doing that.

krackpot

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
The betrayal of Alexis, and the betrayal of the board in not signing anyone.

Wenger got him playing at a level which was unreal. The whole team was unreal. When Alexis eventually left, the board didn't push Wenger to buy anyone, and Wenger was too old to do it again.

Yousif Arsenal

On Vinai's payroll & misses 4th place trophy 🏆
Trusted ⭐
2015 Maybe? also teams around us got better and we still going with same BS because Wenger was stubborn blind faith on players that getting us anywhere and Ivan with is unability to buy players that wenger wanted from 2016 and on.

Yousif Arsenal

Trusted ⭐
After all these things we just need to reset and learnt the harsh lesson but i just don't trust Edu or Mikel making right decisions there is many many clubs less richer than us less attractive but they do their thing smartly

AberGooner

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

Player:Gabriel
Ever since we have been at the Emirates we've always seemed to be 1 or 2 signings away from being genuine title contenders for example if we'd signed Anelka in January 2008 perhaps we would have won the league.

As far as top 4 goes 2011-12 was the first year I remember us starting to have to really fight to get in. Signings of Özil and Sanchez seemed to push us back into title challengers for a brief period but again squad depth seemed to cost us. Then summer 2016 we could have had Kante and ended up with Xhaka instead. Who knows if we got Kante we may have won the league that season. All been downhill since that summer.

In all these years we never were able to get the proper world class centre back or holding midfielder which has cost us for so long. Gabriel Paulista, Mustafi, Xhaka too many poor transfers in 2 key positions.

Rex Stone

Long live the fighters
Trusted ⭐

2015 Maybe? also teams around us got better and we still going with same BS because Wenger was stubborn blind faith on players that getting us anywhere and Ivan with is unability to buy players that wenger wanted from 2016 and on.

2014: Signed deadwood like Ospina and Debuchy when there were cheaper options in the league. Didn’t sell Joel Campbell when we could.

2013: Signed Özil but spent all summer d*cking about trying to find someone and only ended up with Viviano and Flamini.

2012: Signed Giroud, Podolski and Cazorla. Two great signings but Podolski was a head scratcher.

2011: Pretty awful window. Loading up on dross like Park and Andre Santos which took years to get rid of.

2010: Chamakh after a couple of goals in Ligue 1.

GoonerJeeves

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

You cannot look at our decline in isolation. There is little doubt that cash injection in clubs like Chelsea and Manchester City has been a factor.

For periods the league was a two horse race between us and Manchester United. That changed as other clubs got significant external funding.

We have however contributed heavily to our own demise by poor spending in recent years.

Makingtrax

Worships in the house of Wenger 🙏
Trusted ⭐

Player:Saliba
In 2016 when the fan campaign of boycotts, planes, protests and social media rants put intolerable pressure on the team and management causing us to decline. It was no coincidence that Wenger dropped out of the top 4 for the first time in 20 years when all that started.
One of the best posts I’ve ever read of yours ;)

Trilly

Hates A-M, Saka, Arteta and You
Trusted ⭐

Damage for me was done when Wenger got a bit too hung up on the idea of top quality or nothing. Hear me out, it’s a great idea in principle but in practice it really killed us.

Things were looking good, we’d just gotten spending power (Wenger himself has confirmed that [to an extent] he never had an issue with asking the club for funds, remember that 90M bid for Mbappe?) and after two windows in a row of Özil and Sanchez, we were all well and truly on the ‘top quality or nothing’ wagon.

(There’s also a little bit of going for top quality over what the club actually needed but I’m not too mad at that, can never have too many WC players)

We’ve just won an fa cup and finished top four, all our rivals are in crisis and Wenger is looking to make it three years in a row of top quality signings. This year we can’t find one and all we do is sign Petr Cech. I think we messed up big time there.

People commonly point to Giroud as the main reason Leicester pipped us to the league that year but that was just one of many reasons. What would have happened if Wenger had realised he couldn’t sign a WC player and instead decided to solidify our strength in depth, or sign somebody to push Giroud? Maybe Cazorla’s injury doesn’t cripple us, maybe Giroud’s competition steps in during his 10 game goal drought and pushes us over the edge.

Did we really need to only sign WC players or could we have tried to sign someone with Wc potential at least? Weren’t there any squad building/depth signings we could have made in the mean time? Football clubs are constantly in flux, you miss one or two windows and you’re immediately playing catch-up.

Op mentions the horrendous 15-16 transfer window but that’s what happens when you basically sacrifice the previous summer transfer window and your chicks come home to roost. We had to spend 100M on a CF, CM and CB in summer 16. Spine signings aren’t cheap.

If we had signed a CB or CM in the 14-15 window then we would have gone into 15-16 needing one player less but still having 100M to spend. Maybe Xhaka becomes a Fabinho, maybe Mustafi becomes a Laporte when you can spend an extra 20M on each position. Maybe we sacrifice one of those and just sign a 100M player instead (VVD?).

There have been loads of bad decisions before and after but summer 15 was the one.

Yousif Arsenal

Trusted ⭐
When wenger desperately wanted Manolas Kante and Vardy who could have costed less than Mustafi Xhaka Perez you know things are massively wrong if other manager like Mourinho he'd walk off it's no surprise from that window our decline was getting worse each year 5th 6th 5th 8th and this season with things going noway we'll end up above top 10 so yeah it's getting worse. not to mention Emery wanted Zaha Partey Maguire (lol) but again we failed to get what manager want.

Riou

In The Winchester, Waiting For This To Blow Over

Player:Gabriel
We wanted to make sure we didn't "kill" Bellerin, that's why we signed Debuchy over someone younger to replace Sagna...Debuchy was a decent Prem proven player and Hector was a high potential youngster, think we made the right choice at the time (as no one could predict Hector's decline back then.)

Last edited:

Heskey

🌑 🌘🌗🌖🌕🌔🌓🌒
Trusted ⭐
I'd say a few major events:
  • 2016 - Growing unrest around the club games.
  • This got worse and definitely had some impact the following 2 season where we dropped out of Top4 for the first time in Arsène's reign. Say what you want, if you have your own supporters turn against the squad and the managers as strongly as happened in that period, in media, at games etc. that will have an impact. If you were being shouted at by people who're supposed to be supporting you everyday that would likely impact you on your day job too, and players are - however much we might forget it at times - humans too, and can be influenced. I'm not saying we weren't going to fall out of Top4 if that hadn't happened, I'm saying that the unrest didn't exactly heigthen our chances of succes.
  • 2017 - Sven Mislintat is hired but leaves just 1 year and 3 months later after reported differences with board+Raul Sanllehi. I think few wouldn't rather it had been opposite.
  • 2018 - Raul Sanllehi enters and leaves in 2020.
  • 2018 - Arsène Wenger leaves.
  • 2019 - Edu Gaspar is hired a Technical Director with a glorious reputation from being Team Coordinator for Brazil in 3 years, Advisor for Iran for 1 month, and Team Manager for Corinthians for 5 years.
  • There's quite a few other major events in the very recent time as well tbh..

And I don't think we can completely get around the awkward timing of planning and securing funding (loans) for the construction of Emirates in 03/04 where from this year and going forward oil money changed football radically. Combine a crippled economy with an owner who wanted to limit costs (invested nothing in Arsenal for transfers) and mistakes made on various areas and you have a recipe for disaster.

Arsenal Quotes

I didnt score as many as I hoped, but it was nice that I always scored against Tottenham

Charlie Nicholas

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom