• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Why aren't we clinical anymore?

sabret00the

Established Member
I'd say that what Gurgen says somes up Ljungberg these days, he no longer runs for the team, he runs for the end product i.e. the goals/tap-in's.

Gurgen

Established Member
Movement is everything, you need to be moving all the time to create chances.

That's why most teams have one playmaker. We have three. In midfield.

sabret00the

Established Member
Well i said in another thread, that if we're gonna play with the three playmakers at the very least we need to have a competant defence so that we can free up a midfield slot to work in midfield rather than defence but ultimately we NEED a runner for the wing in order to create chances for the strikers.

Our problems:
1. Our defenders is bound to make school boy errors...take a look how Beattie beat Senderos...How Mellberg scored last saturday..it's disappointing really
2. We have a so many corners last saturday.. i think more than 15...and none of them found the net..Our set pieces is a piece of S****...How many set pieces chelski require to score a goal
3. We have nobody sitting in the box..everyone is drifting to left or to the right...Adebayor have to stay at the box...

jester

Established Member
clinical in terms of chances: we still have henry, but freddie and pires converted more chances than reyes/hleb do now.
clinical in terms of finishing off teams: we've never really done it. even during out unbeaten season we 'held on' some games such as pompey or charlton to get the win since we didnt finish them off sooner.

patrick42uk

Established Member
Gurgen said:
Movement is everything, you need to be moving all the time to create chances.

That's why most teams have one playmaker. We have three. In midfield.

lol, i was just going to bring this up.

still watching the 49 unbeaten dvd and continuing on the point of our directness. we had this front 5 of henry, pires, freddie, bergkamp and vieira (gilbero too on some occasions even now) of players all willing to make forward runs. the moment we pick up the ball in midfield, the options to make are pentrative pass were endless. because of the quality of the runs and the frequency of it, it was one two three passes and goal.

now we have cesc, hleb and rosicky. these are guys who slow the game down. they all want the ball to feet all the time rather than in behind. this is why we dont/wont create as much chances. walcott is a breathe of fresh air in that department. so is reyes too when he decides not to dwell on the ball.

i wont write this team off yet though. the team of 03/04 had a vital ingrdient that this team lacks, confidence. i think ultimately the aim has to be to be as pentrative as that team and better that by being better in keeping the ball. of course we are at this point a long way from that. certainly wont be seeing it this season i dont think.

by the way, how many rebounds did pires score? his positioning to get into and be in goal scoring situations was just incredible. then there was the quality of his passing, his shooting and general link play. this guy was world class and i just cant believe the lack of recognition he got at his best. i guess if henry didnt what chance did he have?

db10_therza

🎵 Edu getting rickrolled 🎵
Trusted ⭐

Player:White
The three midfield playmakers in itself is fine. The problem is that essentially we have 5 playmakers, Henry and RvP are not goal getters. If we had the three in midfield, and Henry, and one, just one proper striker that did nothing but move around and poach goals all day (vNistlerooy basically) we'd be fine.

Gazza Martinez

Established Member
patrick42uk said:
by the way, how many rebounds did pires score? his positioning to get into and be in goal scoring situations was just incredible. then there was the quality of his passing, his shooting and general link play. this guy was world class and i just cant believe the lack of recognition he got at his best. i guess if henry didnt what chance did he have?

I was going to bring this up too. Pires had superb awareness and timing in all aspects of the game, a complete attacking mid really. There hasn't been an attacking mid to match him at his best at any of the top english clubs in the last 5 years. These days we're lucky to have one person attacking a cross or taking a shot, let alone someone following up on it.

Shooting

I think its that none of the players has the balls to take a shot, they always look for the next impossible pass that is not there, or its there but you have the smallest of margins to make it and only no one can do it. Our prolem is that we also want to shoot inside the area, you see other players at other clubs sometimes taking a chance outside the area for a shot and it pays off, with the calibre of players we have it would not always be the stupid option, especially if the goalie can bnot control and then someone can come for the tap in. I think Rosicky will helo on this issue, as we all saw in the WC (first game) that he likes to have a ping or two, and it seems he can hit the target.

Gooner83

i think our routines are too complexed... we just need to do the simple stuff sometimes and we would score. For example when you shoot it may be off target but a deflection fools the keeper and it goes in.

Gooner83 said:
i think our routines are too complexed... we just need to do the simple stuff sometimes and we would score. For example when you shoot it may be off target but a deflection fools the keeper and it goes in.

Totally agree, to many passes, too much going out wide or running straight into a player because they think they might be able to fool them, too much looking for Henry....players such as Hleb, Cesc and Freddie should be and are good enough to have a shot when there is clearly enough room

and i think thats reyes problem as well, if he starts having a shot here and there he might start to score thus boosting confidence thus making him happy hence making everyone happy - See its not that hard :roll: :p

sabret00the

Established Member
I actually find is hilarious to watch us play these days, sorry to bring this up as i'm sure some will say i'm just sticking the knife in, but if you watch us play and listened to interviews last year, it's become obvious that certain team members feel that the game must be a passing one and that directness is evil, so far as to publically continually rant on about not over-playing enough. currently there's only one player in our first team given the license to play a direct game and he's given God-status where it's one rule for him and another for everyone else, we lack personality and personally i think that until a few more players are given license to express themself without being called selfish we're going to further decline as we pander towards mking someones dream of being a footballing legend real.

Flamboyance

sabret00the said:
I actually find is hilarious to watch us play these days, sorry to bring this up as i'm sure some will say i'm just sticking the knife in, but if you watch us play and listened to interviews last year, it's become obvious that certain team members feel that the game must be a passing one and that directness is evil, so far as to publically continually rant on about not over-playing enough. currently there's only one player in our first team given the license to play a direct game and he's given God-status where it's one rule for him and another for everyone else, we lack personality and personally i think that until a few more players are given license to express themself without being called selfish we're going to further decline as we pander towards mking someones dream of being a footballing legend real.

Ouch man I can feel the knife firmly wedged inside.

patrick42uk

Established Member
i'v got to say we did take shots from outside the box before. everyone from freddie to bergkamp. the selflessness come from when you penetrate/get in behind at an angle. at this point you wait for runners to join you and square the ball to them for an easy tap in. i gues what got to henry was the likes of reyes and rvp not even looking up, going for goal and missing. remember his reaction to lauren at highbury against united?

sabret00the

Established Member
patrick42uk said:
i'v got to say we did take shots from outside the box before. everyone from freddie to bergkamp. the selflessness come from when you penetrate/get in behind at an angle. at this point you wait for runners to join you and square the ball to them for an easy tap in. i gues what got to henry was the likes of reyes and rvp not even looking up, going for goal and missing. remember his reaction to lauren at highbury against united?
But what he forgets it that, that style of football is bread through playing with eachother, you learn to play for eachother as the bond grows, it's not something you can demand or teach, it can only be grown.

Gurgen

Established Member
Gazza Martinez said:
patrick42uk said:

I was going to bring this up too. Pires had superb awareness and timing in all aspects of the game, a complete attacking mid really. There hasn't been an attacking mid to match him at his best at any of the top english clubs in the last 5 years. These days we're lucky to have one person attacking a cross or taking a shot, let alone someone following up on it.

Even on this forum Pires didn't get the recognition he deserved.

Pires was a goalscorer, a passer, a fantastic team player, one of the best runners in the world and a magical dribbler as well. He has all the attributes and everything he did was world class. Pre-injury he even worked his arse off, contrary to popular myth on here.

Bobby was simply the best winger the Premiership has ever seen. It makes me laugh that people think someone like Rosicky can replace him just like that.

celestis

Arsenal-Mania Veteran

Gurgen said:
Gazza Martinez said:
patrick42uk said:

Even on this forum Pires didn't get the recognition he deserved.

Pires was a goalscorer, a passer, a fantastic team player, one of the best runners in the world and a magical dribbler as well. He has all the attributes and everything he did was world class. Pre-injury he even worked his arse off, contrary to popular myth on here.

Bobby was simply the best winger the Premiership has ever seen. It makes me laugh that people think someone like Rosicky can replace him just like that.

You guys are completely right . In his award winning year with Arsenal , Pires's stats were mind boggling that without finishing the season and shat all over anything beckham had done. Over 14 goals and just as many assists . That year Robert was by far the best player in Arsenal and equivalent to any winger in the world .

Arsenal Quotes

I started clapping myself... until I realised that I was Sunderland's manager.

Peter Reid after Bergkamp's goal against Sunderland.

Latest posts

Top Bottom