• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

why does henry choke in big games?

• Thread starter Anonymous
  • Start date
  • Replies 69
  • Views 5,804

tony

Before you start your rants, you shold check your allegation.

Henry was France biggest scorer in WC1998
Henry was France biggest scorer in euro2000, and scored in semifinal against Portugal..
CL quarter final 2001 v valencia/ Henry scored
CL quarter final 2003 v valencia/ Hery bottled maybe in your dream, cos Arsenal didn't play in quarter final that year. Henry scored against Valencia in II group stage that year.
Euro 2004 quarter final v greece/ Greece won and didnt let in no goals in the knockout stages. Other good strikers struggled too to score past Greece, who had almost perfect defence in euro2000..

Jinn

Established Member
Inter V Arsenal last season was a big game.

Liverpool last season was a big game.

Mark

Established Member
First of all, reyesoflight, what you say is not true. There are other big games in which he has played extremely well but you have chosen not to include them, and secondly of all, if it appears that Henry doesn't play as well in some big games, it is because he is obviously up against a harder team and is marked out of the game. With Reyes in our side now, I think he will get more space and he can perhaps play a more active role.

He is probably the best player in the world right now and he is an Arsenal player so I don't think he deserves this kind of rubbish from 'fans' like you.

A

Anonymous

Mark said:
First of all, reyesoflight, what you say is not true. There are other big games in which he has played extremely well but you have chosen not to include them, and secondly of all, if it appears that Henry doesn't play as well in some big games, it is because he is obviously up against a harder team and is marked out of the game. With Reyes in our side now, I think he will get more space and he can perhaps play a more active role.

He is probably the best player in the world right now and he is an Arsenal player so I don't think he deserves this kind of rubbish from 'fans' like you.

Trust me mate im not some phony fan whos supported the gunners since 2002.. iv e supported them since 93..so i have adequate knowledge to give my view on them.Besides im a great fan of football.

anyway back to my point,so what if he gets marked out of a game,if hes supposed to be the best,then surely hes good enuf to outlock and outthink these hard defences..Maradona got marked in the toughest league of them all(seria a in late 80ties) but stll managed to score and make an impact.Tough marking is not a good enuf excuse for saying he underperforms in big matches,what do u want the opposition to do,not mark him and roll over?..

Look.im not trying to look for an arguement,i love arsenal as much as the next guy,but im jus looking at this thing objectively,and not biased as a lot of the ppl are in this forum.Just cos he plays in our team,does that mean we cant critise?.u guys critise cyagn when he performs badly week in week out..but i cant critise henry?

listen,i think henry is a good player,and he has the potential to be a great player,who has the potential to be regonised amgonst the greats in 20-30 years, but in order for that to happen he has to perform consistently in the big games..even when the going gets tough,he shudnt sulk as he usually does and get on wiht it,cos with his talent its never too late to do something out of the extradornidary and put us back in with a chance of a match were loosing..

it pisses me off so much when he underperforms,cos i know he can do so much better.i hope i can look back at this post after hes scored a hattrick against real madrid in the champions league final..and eat my words.i really do..

nnaife

reyesoflight said:
Mark said:

Trust me mate im not some phony fan whos supported the gunners since 2002.. iv e supported them since 93..so i have adequate knowledge to give my view on them.Besides im a great fan of football.

anyway back to my point,so what if he gets marked out of a game,if hes supposed to be the best,then surely hes good enuf to outlock and outthink these hard defences..Maradona got marked in the toughest league of them all(seria a in late 80ties) but stll managed to score and make an impact.Tough marking is not a good enuf excuse for saying he underperforms in big matches,what do u want the opposition to do,not mark him and roll over?..

Look.im not trying to look for an arguement,i love arsenal as much as the next guy,but im jus looking at this thing objectively,and not biased as a lot of the ppl are in this forum.Just cos he plays in our team,does that mean we cant critise?.u guys critise cyagn when he performs badly week in week out..but i cant critise henry?

listen,i think henry is a good player,and he has the potential to be a great player,who has the potential to be regonised amgonst the greats in 20-30 years, but in order for that to happen he has to perform consistently in the big games..even when the going gets tough,he shudnt sulk as he usually does and get on wiht it,cos with his talent its never too late to do something out of the extradornidary and put us back in with a chance of a match were loosing..

it pisses me off so much when he underperforms,cos i know he can do so much better.i hope i can look back at this post after hes scored a hattrick against real madrid in the champions league final..and eat my words.i really do..

OK reyesoflight, i believe you're a true arsenal fan, can i point out to you that henry has played well against man united in the past, against juventus in the CL (3-1), against roma, against inter and against liverpool; all of these were big matches. And also for france in wc1998.

All the decent players in euro2004 barring a few like Neved and Davidplayed below their bests.

I believe Santini failed to inspire a tired french squad to play well in that tourament and teams like greece and england played defensively the entire match against the french, leaving no room for Henry to play his game.
Besides the french tactics were all wrong in that tournament.

Henry was also carrying an injury and prevented him from playing at his best.

Ronaldhino played way below his ability when celtic knocked out Barcelona from the uefa cup.

So please look at the facts before you jump down henry's throat, he's the best striker in the world in my opinion and to me my opinion is all that matters, sod what others think cause they would have henry playing for their teams quicker than you could say 'ahhh'.

Mark

Established Member
Thing is, reyesoflight, I understand that he should be able to deal with good defenders, but another thing going against him is that against Man Utd and Chelsea he is up against Gallas and Silvestre who have played against him since they were kids. They know him better than anyone so perhaps that gives them a psychological edge as well as the fact that they are world class defenders.

Azabaxe

reyesoflight said:
Maradona got marked in the toughest league of them all(seria a in late 80ties) but stll managed to score and make an impact.Tough marking is not a good enuf excuse for saying he underperforms in big matches,what do u want the opposition to do,not mark him and roll over?..

I've got two words for you: Claudio Gentile.

You seem to me like the kind of person who'd think Robby Baggio was an underachiever too.

Loylz

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
Mark said:
Thing is, reyesoflight, I understand that he should be able to deal with good defenders, but another thing going against him is that against Man Utd and Chelsea he is up against Gallas and Silvestre who have played against him since they were kids. They know him better than anyone so perhaps that gives them a psychological edge as well as the fact that they are world class defenders.
But that also raises the issue that Henry knows them inside out as well so should be able to handle them.

namliam

listen,i think henry is a good player,and he has the potential to be a great player

wat are we talking about here..yakubu? beattiE? this is incredible...whilst i suppose its fair comment to say he never seems to play AS well in the big games...thats due to the fact that henry is simply marked by too many defenders cuz everyone knows henry is the final tool in the arsenal armoury whether it is for the final pass or the final shot..and therefore good teams could stop arsenal simply by stopping henry..in the CL we oten missed bergkamop as well..now as many forum members have stated we have reyes who will considerably ease the burden on henry....lets see this year i henry can perform up to his usual incredible standards in the big matches and then pass judgment....

and reyesoflight...if u r so convinced henry is not great...who is the greatest striker in the world....shevchencko because he scored in the CL final??? i thought the only goal he scored was a penalty..and in a penalty shoot out :roll:

A

Anonymous

Mark said:

silvestre a world class defender?..give me a break..maybe cos he scored for arsenal in the charity shield huh?..No,honestly i think the term 'world class' is a term used too loosely.In my opinion there are only about a dozen truely 'world class' players in the world,the others fall into the catogery of 'international class' .

as for robby baggio i do think he was a underachiever.at the end of the day he played for great teams like inter,juventus,and milan and made no difference whats so ever.He had a good world cup in 94,fair enuf..but to sum him up(the looser that he is) he goes and misses the final penalty in the world cup final.Just about sums up his underacheiver tag.

Anyways this is not about some italian maradona wannabe,this is about thierry henry....talking of which how on earth was thierry herny voted 5th greatest european player ever..surely that was a technical error....

A

Anonymous

namliam said:
listen,i think henry is a good player,and he has the potential to be a great player

wat are we talking about here..yakubu? beattiE? this is incredible...whilst i suppose its fair comment to say he never seems to play AS well in the big games...thats due to the fact that henry is simply marked by too many defenders cuz everyone knows henry is the final tool in the arsenal armoury whether it is for the final pass or the final shot..and therefore good teams could stop arsenal simply by stopping henry..in the CL we oten missed bergkamop as well..now as many forum members have stated we have reyes who will considerably ease the burden on henry....lets see this year i henry can perform up to his usual incredible standards in the big matches and then pass judgment....

and reyesoflight...if u r so convinced henry is not great...who is the greatest striker in the world....shevchencko because he scored in the CL final??? i thought the only goal he scored was a penalty..and in a penalty shoot out :roll:

shechenko is the worlds ultimate striker.Hes got all the right tools a striker needs to be successful,and has an incredible football mind.He actually scored in the cl final,but it was disalowed..anyway his penatly won them the tournment..he showed courage and balls when it counted the most..wud have henry been able to score that goal?..

after shevchenko the best stiker in the world in my opinon is ronaldo,followed by henry.Adriano and cassano are not far off...tevez and reyes ones for the future..

Loylz

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
reyesoflight said:
Mark said:

silvestre a world class defender?..give me a break..maybe cos he scored for arsenal in the charity shield huh?..No,honestly i think the term 'world class' is a term used too loosely.In my opinion there are only about a dozen truely 'world class' players in the world,the others fall into the catogery of 'international class' .

as for robby baggio i do think he was a underachiever.at the end of the day he played for great teams like inter,juventus,and milan and made no difference whats so ever.He had a good world cup in 94,fair enuf..but to sum him up(the looser that he is) he goes and misses the final penalty in the world cup final.Just about sums up his underacheiver tag.

Anyways this is not about some italian maradona wannabe,this is about thierry henry....talking of which how on earth was thierry herny voted 5th greatest european player ever..surely that was a technical error....
You seriously have an agenda against Thierry don't you. This is because he is in the top 5 scorers in the CL ever. With a tally of about 1 goal every two games.

And Baggio a loser. Excuse me. He is one of the most skillful players to grace the modern game. OK he missed the penalty, but he single handedly took them to the final in the first place. If you've watched his matches you would know how great a player he is. Watch a match of Inter vs Real Madrid (then the top team in the world) where Baggio comes on in the end of the match and dummies the keeper with one of his first touches in the match. That was in the CL as well against great opposition. You don't know what you're chattin about mate.

nnaife

Pah reyesoflight now i really do think you're talking nonsense(no offence intended).
Of course henry would have scored that goal he has a great penalty scoring record.

Using that logic Trezeguet must be a terrific striker as he had the courage to score a spectacular goal to win france the Euro 2000 championship.

Don't ever write off henry as lacking courage, he's done things on pitch that shevchenko couldnt ever dream of doing.

Shevchenko is a great striker but i'd much prefer to have henry.

Sure shevchenko has won a lot of trophies with milan but i believe the likes henry, tevez and reyes are way more talented.

Loylz

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
reyesoflight said:
namliam said:

shechenko is the worlds ultimate striker.Hes got all the right tools a striker needs to be successful,and has an incredible football mind.He actually scored in the cl final,but it was disalowed..anyway his penatly won them the tournment..he showed courage and balls when it counted the most..wud have henry been able to score that goal?..

after shevchenko the best stiker in the world in my opinon is ronaldo,followed by henry.Adriano and cassano are not far off...tevez and reyes ones for the future..
Bro. Stop having orgasms over the guy. It was only a penalty. It is luck and however good you hit it, the keeper always has a chance of reaching the ball. My grandma can score a penalty. Pfft. As for it being the penalty that got them victory, it had more to do with their 'eeper and his saves. All due to the fact that he kept coming off his line.

A

Anonymous

*Loyan* said:
reyesoflight said:
Mark said:

You seriously have an agenda against Thierry don't you. This is because he is in the top 5 scorers in the CL ever. With a tally of about 1 goal every two games.

And Baggio a loser. Excuse me. He is one of the most skillful players to grace the modern game. OK he missed the penalty, but he single handedly took them to the final in the first place. If you've watched his matches you would know how great a player he is. Watch a match of Inter vs Real Madrid (then the top team in the world) where Baggio comes on in the end of the match and dummies the keeper with one of his first touches in the match. That was in the CL as well against great opposition. You don't know what you're chattin about mate.

baggio went to all of italys top three clubs(inter,ac milan and juventus) and and underperformed for all of them.He was so good that he didnt make a difference to their outcomes.Anyways what did Inter acheive with baggio in their side?..

Anways like i said b4 guys this is not about baggio,this is about henry.henry being voted top 5 european player ever is absoultely ridculous,how on earth was he a head of players like di stefano and platini abd gullet?..i dont think that poll was valid,as it was prob voted by youngsters,who dont know or apperciate the history of football.

i really hope henry can prove me wrong this season in the cl knockout stages..

Loylz

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
This is a team game. Baggio took Italy to the final sngle handedly. If he couldn't do the same is it his fault. Surely the rest of the team has to take some of the blame. You can't expect him to do it all the time can you. And if that's the case what did Ronaldo win with Inter. IIRC he was playing at the same time as Baggio for them?

invisibleman18

Established Member
i wouldnt say hes choked in "all the big games" sure hes had a couple of poor fa cup finals. i dont think he choked at euor 2004. he didnt have great time but the french tactics were crap. crap manager i guess. he was used as a target man and every play went through zidane. too one dimensional thats why france flopped. they didnt let henry play his proper game.
some big games hes been great in:

Inter Milan at San siro
Liverpool last seaon at highbury
a couple of games against manure
that game where he ran the length of the field against tottenham, although against a crap, low opposition maybe not a "big" game
dont forget he was frances top scorer when they won WC 1998 before he was a big name player

Azabaxe

reyesoflight said:
Baggio went to all of italys top three clubs(inter,ac milan and juventus) and and underperformed for all of them.

Juve '90-91 33 games 14 goals
Juve '91-92 32 games 18 goals
Juve '92-93 27 games 21 goals, UEFA Cup, 6 goals in Europe
Juve '93-94 32 games 17 goals, European & World Player of the year

You really know about football, don't you?

Arsenal Quotes

As far as i'm concerned, Tony Adams is the effing Empire State Building

Ian Wright
Top Bottom