• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Why the **** rivalry?

Glass_Heart

fizifasz said:
arsenal fan in asia and usa dont know the rivalry.. for them the main **** are manu and chelsea

Well i'm from Singapore,

to a certain extent, what you said is indeed true.

Luckily not for me though. I started supporting Arsenal when Dennis Berkhamp arrived in 1995. (WOW i have been a gooner for 1 decade ++ :p)

And what was the first thing i learned about this club? Hate Sp**s with a passion. Shameful to say though, during that point of time, i didn't bother to find out the real reasons on why we should hate Sp**s (other than that spuds are in close proximity to us) and i just jump on the bandwagon.

However, as years passed us by, those scums are getting less and less of a threat and emphasis in Asia, at least in Singapore for gunner fans, were to focus our hatred on Myoo and recently Chelski and Bottom.

But this season, given our mediocrity for much of the season, we are in real danger of losing that much coveted 4th place to no one else but spuds and this has successfully reinvigorate the latent hatred in us again haha.

Last night alone, my fellow gooners (11~16) of us were cheering out so loud not because Arsenal has just clinched a big win, we were literally cheering out hoarse for Newcastle, who convincingly and deservingly beat those scums 3-1 :p

Oh, what a great night it was....i'm starting to believe, perhaps, perhaps this is really our European glory year as we are really starting to gell at the right time and all our rivals are falling apart simultaneously.

Dougan17

the rivalry really started out as just a basic community friendly rivalry that got extremely bitter when our chairman supposively used bribes of some sort to get Arsenal into the newly formed top flight ahead of Tottenham, even though Tottenham finished ahead of us the season before.

Really it's been more fierce since the 80s when we were competing with them more directly and through the prem years as we were dominant while they struggled a bit and always wanted to peg us back but it's not as fierce as the fans make it and it's certainly not as fierce as some rivalries in club football.

little known fact, Arsenal played some friendly "home" matches for troop entertainment purposes at White Hart Lane after Highbury suffered some damage during world war 2.

Really though, putting one over Man United has felt better for me as I don't live in North London and I know a total of one tottenham fan around here so it's hard to really gloat about beating tottenham when they're languishing in 11th place or something :p

nidza7

Established Member
Glass_Heart said:
fizifasz said:
arsenal fan in asia and usa dont know the rivalry.. for them the main **** are manu and chelsea

Luckily not for me though. I started supporting Arsenal when Dennis Berkhamp arrived in 1995.

like most of the new generation gooners. :)

14teranga

I just hate the sound of their name tottenham??? How can a decent team calls itself tottenham? Well actually it does suit them them scums.

fizifasz

arsenal fan abroad supporting arsenal 4-5 years ago take manu as number one enemy because you always want to beat the best and recently they add chelsea.

ps: is it possible in any family in north london support both clubs?
wife- tottenham
husband- arsenal
brother-tottenham
sister- arsenal

hehhehe

bojed

AM Resident Joker #1
i started to support arsenal some time ago because i like the cannon on the flag...

you can destroy any stadium with one of those...

YeahBee

Terrible hot takes
RocktheCasbah said:
YeahBee said:
maybe us non-local fans aren't surrounded by Arsenal like the local fans. We support the current team based on "success", players, and style of play

So when Arsène leaves Arsenal, if the borad f'ck it up and we end with no success, crap players and style of play, who will you be supporting then?

I would still follow Arsenal because I don't follow any other team, sure I follow my local team but that is an amatuer side. I have followed Arsenal nearly half of my life so I wouldn't stop. I am old enough now to realise that succes, players and style of play goes in cycles. If there was a team that played as entertaining as Arsenal can I would watch them and be intressed, but not care as much, like I also watch Barcelona and I want them to win when I do, but I don't care as much when they don't. and I don't have constant moodswings about everything related to Barca as I do Arsenal.

I should have written we started to support Arsenal based on...

kashif_wattoo

Furthermore....

I dont' really HATE Spuds, like a local North London Gooner does, but yeah, they do irritate me alot, especially this year when we are direct rivals after a looooong time!!!

Do check the link given above, the essays about Arsenal's move to Highbury and How Arsenal got promoted is really interesting...well i think its true!!!

Any senior member to confirm its authenticity, incuding mods???

here is the link again:

http://www.emiratesstadium.info/

cubbz_th14

14teranga said:
I just hate the sound of their name tottenham??? How can a decent team calls itself tottenham? Well actually it does suit them them scums.

well they dont call themselves tottenham just for the heck of it :lol: :lol: :lol:

Biggus

Established Member
RocktheCasbah said:
YeahBee said:
maybe us non-local fans aren't surrounded by Arsenal like the local fans. We support the current team based on "success", players, and style of play

So when Arsène leaves Arsenal, if the borad f'ck it up and we end with no success, crap players and style of play, who will you be supporting then?

Gloryhunting may be the reason people are originally attracted to a club, but the loyaller ones will stick around. I myself as an 8yo jumped on the Arsenal bandwagon after the 1971 double :wink: ....Being attracted to success is normal. If your Kid was looking for a team to support suddenly professed an admiration for all the good work Curbishley has done at Charlton, you'd be checking to see if he had any imaginary friends. :? ... :lol:

YeahBee

Terrible hot takes
nidza7 said:
Glass_Heart said:
fizifasz said:

Luckily not for me though. I started supporting Arsenal when Dennis Berkhamp arrived in 1995.

like most of the new generation gooners. :)

not a bad way or what?

YeahBee

Terrible hot takes
bojed said:
i started to support arsenal some time ago because i like the cannon on the flag...

you can destroy any stadium with one of those...

LoL really? are you a yank with a gun-fetish?

1970*Gooner

Established Member

Player:Rice
pha2er said:
i thought it was a commandment - 'Thou must hate thy fiercest rival' - i'm sure I saw it on there. And Moses was wearing a top that said 'We 8 Tottnumb', i'm almost positive.
I like this reason, and I'm sure I seen that film where he had that top on. :thumbup

f4evo

Biggus said:
cubbz_th14 said:
fizifasz said:

"Main ****" .. i like that :p :)

:idea: Maybe someone with a mathematical brain might create a **** index wherebye the scummyness of a club might be calculated.
They would get a number of points for......

* Geographical proximity.
* Close rivalry for trophies.
* Having criminal connections.
* Despised players X their number.
* Having thuggish, racist, or stupid followers.
* Damage they have inflicted on Arsenal in the past.
* Having irritating management.

It could be revised yearly. This would solve our dilemma over who is the scummiest of them all. 8)

Totten.ham
* Geographical proximity. - 10/10
* Close rivalry for trophies. - 0/10 :lol:
* Having criminal connections. 10/10
* Despised players X their number. max points
* Having thuggish, racist, or stupid followers. 10/10
* Damage they have inflicted on Arsenal in the past. 0/10
* Having irritating management. 5/10

Manc
* Geographical proximity. 3/10
* Close rivalry for trophies. 9/10
* Damage they have inflicted on Arsenal in the past. 9/10
* Having irritating management. 10/10

Chavski
* Geographical proximity. - 10/10
* Close rivalry for trophies. - 3/10
* Having criminal connections. 20/10 :lol:
* Damage they have inflicted on Arsenal in the past. 7/10
* Having irritating management. 20/10 :lol:

Bolton
* Geographical proximity. 3/10
* Close rivalry for trophies. 0/10
* Having thuggish, racist, or stupid followers. 20/10
* Damage they have inflicted on Arsenal in the past. 8/10
* Having irritating management. 20/10 :lol:

1.Manc
2. ****
= Chav
3. Bolton

Octavio - gunner

I'm mexican and lived in Mexico for 26 years, I've been an Arsenal follower for 14 years now, and I started following them because of the way they gave everything in the pitch, and at 12-13 I didn't know about any rivalry, just wanted to beat everyone and hated to see us loose with Manu, so started to hate manu (and still do) I didn't know about internet then so how was I supposed to know about any rivalry?? Besides if we loose to Sp**s non of my friends will care, if we loose to Manu or recently chelski I know about 5 or 6 people who will laugh soo long at me, then at 15 I went to london for the first time and talking with an old arsenal fan (he was our guide in london, so I had to ask who he supported) he told me about the rivalry with Sp**s, so I realized if I was going to be a true arsenal fan I had to hate them, so now I do. But to be honest it is not a world known rivalry like Madrid-Barca or Inter-Milan, even in Foxsports and ESPN they talk more about the rivalry with Manu than Sp**s.
I'm getting tired of this "gloryhunters those foreigners who became fans just for succes or nice football" Who the **** cares why anyone starts supporting Arsenal if he becomes a true loyal fan? I just spent 30 pounds in an arsenal DVD and have spent near 200 pounds (that's a lot of money for me) in arsenal's kits and a lot of time reading and writing here as for anyone to say foreigners are not as good fans as locals... so what then? if a london fan moves to Manchester he will become a manure fan? ridiculous... so please stop it already.

fizifasz

Octavio - gunner said:
I'm mexican and lived in Mexico for 26 years, I've been an Arsenal follower for 14 years now, and I started following them because of the way they gave everything in the pitch, and at 12-13 I didn't know about any rivalry, just wanted to beat everyone and hated to see us loose with Manu, so started to hate manu (and still do) I didn't know about internet then so how was I supposed to know about any rivalry?? Besides if we loose to Sp**s non of my friends will care, if we loose to Manu or recently chelski I know about 5 or 6 people who will laugh soo long at me, then at 15 I went to london for the first time and talking with an old arsenal fan (he was our guide in london, so I had to ask who he supported) he told me about the rivalry with Sp**s, so I realized if I was going to be a true arsenal fan I had to hate them, so now I do. But to be honest it is not a world known rivalry like Madrid-Barca or Inter-Milan, even in Foxsports and ESPN they talk more about the rivalry with Manu than Sp**s.

thats what i mean

RockyRocastle

Established Member
I just cant get my head around Arsenal fans saying that dont hate tottenham, regardless of where you come from.

It is not an optional extra in supporting Arsenal.

They are the enemy, always have been and always will be. Anyone who doesnt, I cant take seriously.

I know foreign gooners dont have to experience dodgeing bricks and bottles thrown from the corner pin and seeing dads with their sons getting picked off on the high road but still.

roberts, mabbut, justin ****ing edinburgh, nayim, fat pikey keane with his gay celebration and **** of ****s sheringham.

There are a few reasons to hate them for a start.

Arsenal Quotes

Have Tottenham closed the gap on Arsenal?
Last time I checked they were still 4 miles and 11 titles away

Arsène Wenger

Daily Transfer Updates

Tuesday, May 21

Nuno Tavares will return to Arsenal after Nottingham Forest chose not to exercise the buy option in his loan deal [Nottingham Forest Official Site]

Benjamin Šeško’s agent confirms interest from English and Italian clubs, adding that he is not interested in moving to Saudi Arabia [Evening Standard]

Arsenal have sent scouts to watch Benfica midfielder Joao Neves multiple times [Fabrizio Romano]

Arsenal have joined Manchester United in the race to sign Rennes’ 18 year old attacking midfielder Desire Doue [Ouest-France]

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom