• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Wilfried Zaha

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yousif Arsenal

On Vinai's payroll & misses 4th place trophy 🏆
Trusted ⭐
Don’t think this will happen. We just never seem to be able to buy a key player from another PL team. Last one was Arteta and Everton were desperate for money

Think we’ll end up spending 30-40m on a guy like Malcom instead.
I remember Arteta forced the move wasn't about money it was to play bigger club I think Zaha will do the same

Enz__

Anti Antique Abuse
That's precisely my point. Wilf is worth £100m to Palace. Absurd or not he guarantees us every year another year in the Premier League which is worth over £100m.
Any Zaha transfer will be on our terms. Wilf is not Arnautovic. If he doesn't get Europe this year (and AFC cannot offer him Champions League this year) he won't sulk or go on strike. He is too in love with playing - and dont forget he was brought up from age four in the shadow of Selhurst Park and joined our academy aged 12 so his blood is red and blue - regardless of agent talk.
If he cant move this year he'll go to Chelsea (and guaranteed Champions League) next year - and Chelsea have loads of young talent for related player deals.

His blood is red and white, the guy is a self proclaimed Arsenal fan. I'd wager you're being a bit too optimistic about him not throwing a fit. Better to get what you can this season than to have an unhappy player who potentially underperforms leading to relegation and his price plummeting further.

I also find it bizzare that you think a Chelsea side with a worse manager and missing by far it's best player will have guaranteed CL next season or that they'd be daft enough to spend anywhere near £100m on Zaha. If this gets done i can almost guarantee it's not going to be for anywhere near £100m.

Rex Stone

Long live the fighters
Trusted ⭐

This time next year Wilf will have three years left on his contract and will be an even better player after another 12 months under Hodgson. That's the time Parish will sell - its when the best deals are done for selling clubs.

Yes he might be a better player but he’ll be 27. If we’re being real he has one more big contract left in his footballing career.

Every year he waits the potential money he’ll earn will decrease, he’d be a high profile player for one of the big six and on more money. He’ll want his move now, next year doesn’t help him.

I’ve noticed in your other post that you’re guaranteeing Chelsea finish top 4.

I really don’t think that’s going to happen, a hoofball manager who was beyond jammy to make the Playoff final, the one player who was dragging them through games has gone, their second and third best players from last year are out for the season and their only strikers are Giroud and Abraham.

Preacher

Always Crying
Palace fan in peace here.
There's no doubt your initial lowball offer has raised hackles. Pleading poverty (really!!) cuts no ice with CPFC and why should it? Wilf has four years left on £130k / week contract with no release clause. He is also worth far more to Palace (as our talisman who virtually guarantees survival) than any club will be prepared to pay.
Agreed, Wilf's agent has painted himself into a corner with the "boyhood dream" storyline (anyone seen a Wan-Bissaka type photo of Wilf as a boy in an Arsenal shirt?).
Reality is Arsenal is the only show in town if (if) Wilf really wants a move to play in Europe. He will only move to a London club due to his family situation. Chelsea are out (until next Summer) and Wilf does not fit the THFC pay structure.
So maybe AFC does want what Wilf can offer - the unpredictability and maverick skills you sorely need. Maybe you really don't have the cash, due to car-crash transfer dealings in recent years as Swiss Rambler has eloquently concluded.
So Wilf will only go if Parish concludes that the Wan-Bissaka / Zaha cash will enable Palace to rebuild a team in this window. We need a winger or CAM and cover for the future in defence Parish is looking to rebuild using young talent.
The Palace set up is ideal for young talent. The fans are generous and support unstintingly as players learn from their mistakes. Young players who would be bench-warmers in a top-six club get game time to develop - see Wan-Bissaka.
If you are looking to top up cash with players, Elneny and Jenko are not the answer. It amuses me to think that Palace will be content with your cast-offs. We have enough high-paid bench warmers already. If you really want our talisman and you don't want to pay the price in cash - and my guess is that £75m might do it if offered soon - you are going to have to take some pain too and look at persuading some of your best up-coming talent that their future lies at Palace.
Nelson and Chambers (thankfully not infected by your defence woes) plus £50m might swing it for you. But don't hang around as I fully expect CPFC to apply a guillotine to any transfer for Wilf given that time will be needed to buy replacements.
The nearer we get to deadline day the more imperative it will be to be offering the right players as cash will be no good if it cannot be spent.
For what its worth, I think Wilf is better off waiting a year for Chelsea, who would certainly have come for him this year were it not for the transfer ban.

Yousif Arsenal

On Vinai's payroll & misses 4th place trophy 🏆
Trusted ⭐
Big difference though, Everton had to sell and Palace have just got £50m. All signs point to this kicking off when he’s back, history says Arsenal don’t go that extra mile.
Yes but if Zaha put pressure on them they'll have to this thing won't be moving until Zaha back from Egypt

OnlyOne

🎙️ Future Journalist
Trusted ⭐

It's well known that Parish won't stand in the way of Zaha so long as Arsenal make a fair deal. As I said before it's simply about us being able to offer a good fee.

I don't even think Zaha has to kick off much.

parishioner

Croydon's GDeep
Yes he might be a better player but he’ll be 27. If we’re being real he has one more big contract left in his footballing career.

Every year he waits the potential money he’ll earn will decrease, he’d be a high profile player for one of the big six and on more money. He’ll want his move now, next year doesn’t help him.

I’ve noticed in your other post that you’re guaranteeing Chelsea finish top 4.

I really don’t think that’s going to happen, a hoofball manager who was beyond jammy to make the Playoff final, the one player who was dragging them through games has gone, their second and third best players from last year are out for the season and their only strikers are Giroud and Abraham.

Its not the money for Wilf. Its being wanted (hence the fiasco at MUFC) and playing at the highest level. He will still be able to play at that level next year and I dont think his sticking point will be a 5 year contract with AFC. Ask Mesut Özil!
Parish will calculate he will get as good a deal next year and perhaps better with Chelsea coming in to bid up the price.
Wilf needs to be wanted. What signal is his dream club sending by cheap-skating and not wanting to bust the budget for him??
Maybe his agent should spend less time pleading with Parish to let Wilf go on the cheap and more time demanding that AFC pay what is necessary to prise him away.

parishioner

Croydon's GDeep
It's well known that Parish won't stand in the way of Zaha so long as Arsenal make a fair deal. As I said before it's simply about us being able to offer a good fee.

I don't even think Zaha has to kick off much.

Agreed. Parish wont stand in his way. Palace know that Wilf deserves a chance to play at the highest level. But Wilf is limited to a move within London and that means Arsenal. It also means that only a fair price (which recognises Wilf's almost unique importance to his club) will do. Fair price in this regard is not market price as there is only one bidder.

Enz__

Anti Antique Abuse
Its not the money for Wilf. Its being wanted (hence the fiasco at MUFC) and playing at the highest level. He will still be able to play at that level next year and I dont think his sticking point will be a 5 year contract with AFC. Ask Mesut Özil!
Parish will calculate he will get as good a deal next year and perhaps better with Chelsea coming in to bid up the price.
Wilf needs to be wanted. What signal is his dream club sending by cheap-skating and not wanting to bust the budget for him??
Maybe his agent should spend less time pleading with Parish to let Wilf go on the cheap and more time demanding that AFC pay what is necessary to prise him away.

Why are you so sure Chelsea will be in for him? They have CHO and Pulisic, they're not going to be in for Zaha and certainly not for the kind of money you seem to think he'll go for. I think Zaha is well aware that this is his last opportunity for a big move and will push for it.

Look, Arsenal fans know how it feels but eventually you're going to have to come to terms with losing him for Jenkinson and £55m. Oh and Arsenal making an opening bid of £40m is us showing we want him, we're piss poor ffs :lol:

Gunner-Union

Yes. He supports AFC. But he plays and bleeds for Palace and has done for 15 years (bar the awayday to MUFC)..

It’s job to the players nothing more nothing less. It’s about being more successful and making money, loyalty means nothing and nor should it as like I said it’s a job and if u can better yourself with another employer off you go

Rex Stone

Long live the fighters
Trusted ⭐

Let’s be real it most certainly is about the money for Wilf as it is for every person on earth.

That’s been proven in similar situations time and time again, from Wayne Rooney to Frank Lampard, it doesn’t matter where you grew up or what your local club is, once that big money offer comes in you’ll take it. Loyalty doesn’t pay the wages in your 50s.

It only goes so far, he’s got about five years to make his money before his earning potential for the rest of his life plummets.

parishioner

Croydon's GDeep
Let’s be real it most certainly is about the money for Wilf as it is for every person on earth.

That’s been proven in similar situations time and time again, from Wayne Rooney to Frank Lampard, it doesn’t matter where you grew up or what your local club is, once that big money offer comes in you’ll take it. Loyalty doesn’t pay the wages in your 50s.

It only goes so far, he’s got about five years to make his money before his earning potential for the rest of his life plummets.

Yeah. Money is important. But a footballer like Wilf, who is grounded, is already set up for life.
Gives 10% of his earnings - that's £13,000 each week - to charity
https://www.independent.co.uk/sport...f-his-monthly-salary-to-charity-a6760066.html

Rex Stone

Long live the fighters
Trusted ⭐

Yeah. Money is important. But a footballer like Wilf, who is grounded, is already set up for life.
Gives 10% of his earnings - that's £13,000 each week - to charity
https://www.independent.co.uk/sport...f-his-monthly-salary-to-charity-a6760066.html

I think we’re just going to have to agree to disagree, as grounded as I’m sure he is, I think he’d be mental to pass up the bigger profile and higher wages in such an uncertain industry.

One big injury for him this year and his big money move is gone for good.

parishioner

Croydon's GDeep
I think we’re just going to have to agree to disagree, as grounded as I’m sure he is, I think he’d be mental to pass up the bigger profile and higher wages in such an uncertain industry.

One big injury for him this year and his big money move is gone for good.

You make a good point. A footballer's career can be over just like that. I'm sure that the risk of an injury before he has had the chance to perform at the highest level is a driver to move now - perhaps (I would say most likely) even more than the money.
Mind you he still has four years at £130k a week to fall back on should the worst happen.

Fewtch

Özil at 10 And Emery Out
Agreed. Parish wont stand in his way. Palace know that Wilf deserves a chance to play at the highest level. But Wilf is limited to a move within London and that means Arsenal. It also means that only a fair price (which recognises Wilf's almost unique importance to his club) will do. Fair price in this regard is not market price as there is only one bidder.
Why is he limited to a move within London?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arsenal Quotes

The biggest things in life have been achieved by people who, at the start, we would have judged crazy. And yet if they had not had these crazy ideas the world would have been more stupid.

Arsène Wenger

Latest posts

Top Bottom