• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Will Miyaichi make it at Arsenal?

AliBabaBrewer

Walcott is an established first teamer, with 149 league appearances for us (According to Wikipedia) and 28 caps to his name. He's a self-proclaimed striker and has made no quiet secret of his desire to play up front.

Miyaichi is a winger, 4 years younger, with 24 league appearances to his name since joining us. All for other teams. We've not seen a lot of him playing for Arsenal. It's all well and good saying 'I WATCHED ALL 12 OF HIS BOLTON APPEARANCES!! EVERY MINUTE!!' but that doesn't equate to how he'd play for Arsenal, with the different team setup, better supply, different defensive requirements.

Comparisons on them are based solely on pace and position. I have seen nothing to suggest Miyaichi would finish anywhere near as well as Walcott can when he wants to, nor have I seen a flash of brilliance like the run Walcott made against Liverpool in the Champions League in 2008, or his second half performance against Sp**s last year.

Because we've not seen enough of him in this team to warrant such comparisons. By that logic, why do we not have a thread comparing Joel Campbell to Van Persie, while saying how he's 18,000 times better than Bendtner or Chamakh?

Chappers

AliBabaBrewer said:
Walcott is an established first teamer, with 149 league appearances for us (According to Wikipedia) and 28 caps to his name. He's a self-proclaimed striker and has made no quiet secret of his desire to play up front.

Miyaichi is a winger, 4 years younger, with 24 league appearances to his name since joining us. All for other teams. We've not seen a lot of him playing for Arsenal. It's all well and good saying 'I WATCHED ALL 12 OF HIS BOLTON APPEARANCES!! EVERY MINUTE!!' but that doesn't equate to how he'd play for Arsenal, with the different team setup, better supply, different defensive requirements.

Comparisons on them are based solely on pace and position. I have seen nothing to suggest Miyaichi would finish anywhere near as well as Walcott can when he wants to, nor have I seen a flash of brilliance like the run Walcott made against Liverpool in the Champions League in 2008, or his second half performance against Sp**s last year.

Because we've not seen enough of him in this team to warrant such comparisons. By that logic, why do we not have a thread comparing Joel Campbell to Van Persie, while saying how he's 18,000 times better than Bendtner or Chamakh?

People simply state their opinion and many have watched him play for most of his 20+ performances so far for both Feyenoord and Bolton. It seems you've watched considerably less appearances than myself for example so, while I respect your right to an opinion, you should base it on more than a passing glance of the player IMO.

As for the Walcott comparison, it's natural to compare his game to his English teammate due to their position and similar skill-set. Walcott is naturally a striker so his finishing is certainly better (he's not proven to be a first class finisher by any means), but they have similar pace and build. Miyaichi is a more technical player and if he'd get as many chances as Walcott has so far, I believe he has the talent to compare favorably to him when he's 23. I don't think he'll get the same chance though so he must take it and that's why it'll depend on how big a talent Arsène believe him to be.

Flow

qs said:
Flow said:
I'd like to think of him as Walcott but with a good cross and technique. I think if the loan goes well he could replace Theo if he leaves, the only thing which Walcott has more than Ryo is probably pace (just a little) and EPL experience.

Theo is better at almost everything currently. Ryo may be a better dribbler and he does more defensive work. In the long run I'd be surprised if Ryo every gets his finishing to Theo's level and I don't think he's as comfortable running the channels. He seems to me much more of a proper winger compared to Theo who's more of a wide forward. Its very easy to talk about their similarities because they're both lightening fast wingers but I think they're significantly different. I actually think Ryo is closer to Ox in style than Theo.
Yes, you're right, Walcott is a better finisher. The attributes you mention are things you need to be a good striker, not a winger. Theo is actually the kind of striker who would be extremely effective as a striker in a 4-4-2, while Ryo would make for a better winger.

I was wrong, now I think of it. Aside from their pace, they're completely different players.

But Ryo's dribbling and crossing abilities are much, much better than Walcott's, and that's more needed than good finishing as a winger in the system we're playing. I don't rate Walcott as a winger, nor in a 442, nor in a 433. We'd waste his potential as a striker.

Now we also have Podolski who would be better as a striker, I think we'd better switch to a 4-4-2/4-2-2-2.

SomGooner

Prolific Liker
His time will come and I'm highly confident that he'll be a global Arsenal super star by the time he's 23.

mo50

Established Member
He's only 19 and extremely raw but his talent is there for all to see. He's got great pace/acceleration and his technique is very good. Once he fills out a bit he'll be a good player for us.

A season at Wigan will do him a wonder of good. He'll get plenty of playing time and it won't be at the detriment of our ambitions/targets. The good thing about this loan is he'll be playing in the PL, so I'm chuffed for him. Whenever a young player gets loaned out to foreign clubs I always doubt whether he has a future with us although that's not always the case.

mavelous

Tinfoil hat aficionado
main drawbacks for him seem to be twofold:

1) physical, he's used to flashing past lesser opponents, sometimes just based on his acceleration/pace. now he's up against seasoned pros in peak physical form. he gets brushed a bit too easily sometimes.

2) confidence. it's important for him to be relaxed and composed, otherwise it's tunnel vision and decision making all over the place. i'm sure gametime is the best cure, to inject some bravery into his game. he's just not as involved with our general play whenever he's on, or there's the urge to do the hollywood everytime, instead of a simple pass or give'n'go.

this is a very good move, rather than a cause for concern

bingobob

A-M’s Resident Hunskelper
Trusted ⭐

mavelous said:
main drawbacks for him seem to be twofold:

1) physical, he's used to flashing past lesser opponents, sometimes just based on his acceleration/pace. now he's up against seasoned pros in peak physical form. he gets brushed a bit too easily sometimes.

2) confidence. it's important for him to be relaxed and composed, otherwise it's tunnel vision and decision making all over the place. i'm sure gametime is the best cure, to inject some bravery into his game. he's just not as involved with our general play whenever he's on, or there's the urge to do the hollywood everytime, instead of a simple pass or give'n'go.

this is a very good move, rather than a cause for concern
Im glad you said that at the end because the drawbacks you mention will be worked on at Wigan. He can do so without the pressure of needing to win every game as Wigan fans no it is unlikely they will do so. And he can do it without the boo boys turning on him if he turns in a few bad performances i.e. Aaron Ramsey.

qs

Established Member
Flow said:
But Ryo's dribbling and crossing abilities are much, much better than Walcott's, and that's more needed than good finishing as a winger in the system we're playing. I don't rate Walcott as a winger, nor in a 442, nor in a 433. We'd waste his potential as a striker.

I disagree that he's a better crosser, I think Walcotts crossings come on leaps and bounds the last year or two and Miyachi is just as likely to put in a blind cross as Theo. Now Ryos crossing is definitely better than Theo at the same age but right now I'd have Theo ahead in that regard.

Dokaka

AM's resident Hammer
Ryo's crossing is not impressive in any way. He usually keeps his head down and just punts it in, hoping for the best.

Think people are severely overrating his current ability. Brilliant potential obviously, but come on. Some are even saying he's as good off the ball as Walcott.

Flow

qs said:
Flow said:

I disagree that he's a better crosser, I think Walcotts crossings come on leaps and bounds the last year or two and Miyachi is just as likely to put in a blind cross as Theo. Now Ryos crossing is definitely better than Theo at the same age but right now I'd have Theo ahead in that regard.
I've yet to see Walcott perform a good cross on a consistent basis. Ryo already surpassed him at crossing IMO. And if he isn't, he has the potential to become much better technically than Walcott.

Let's see how he performs at Wigan.

fabo

6.51 / 10
Ryo is pretty overrated at this point. But I do think he will have a career here, not as a world-beater but I think Theo level is achievable.

Hunta

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

He should tear it up at Wigan, they play as open as we do, so if he doesn't put in some brilliant performances it'll be worrying.

qs

Established Member
He did well at Bolton so he should do well at Wigan now with that experience under his belt. His work ethic makes it alot easier for teams like that to accommodate him too, he doesn't shirk his defensive responsibilities and his speed allows him to bomb up and down the pitch at will.

fabo

6.51 / 10
THunter said:
He should tear it up at Wigan, they play as open as we do, so if he doesn't put in some brilliant performances it'll be worrying.

Wigan's season usually starts in March-ish so we might be waiting a while!

Tbh I wasn't overly impressed with his Bolton displays, and reading their forums kinda backed up what I thought(inconsistent(not surprising), in and out of games alot, predictable, one dimensional). There's definitely alot of potential there so I'll be watching him closely.

Dokaka

AM's resident Hammer
One dimensional was what I thought as well from watching him at Bolton.

He was almost clueless as what to do if he couldn't burst past his man of his left side.

His pace and decent control helps him a lot right now, but he's still far away from being anyway near Arsenal quality. Would argue AOC is twice the player right now.

DJ_Markstar

Based and Artetapilled

Player:Martinelli
Miyaichi will definitely make it here, he has so many tools at his disposal that he just needs as much experience as possible to start to see his best football. It might be another 2-3 years before we see him regularly playing for Arsenal, though.

evoh_1

Established Member
Dokaka said:
One dimensional was what I thought as well from watching him at Bolton.

He was almost clueless as what to do if he couldn't burst past his man of his left side.

His pace and decent control helps him a lot right now, but he's still far away from being anyway near Arsenal quality. Would argue AOC is twice the player right now.

Miyachi's crossing is that bad that he was taking corners for bolton and got a couple of assist from them so technically I can't see teh problem, maybe he doesn't make the right decisions but he has more work to do coming from the background of schoolboy football in japan. I'd still rate him higher then theo at a similar stage of development simply on the basis that miyachi has better control and is just as fast as theo, his finishing is ok and he needs to improve his movement a bit but these are all experience related.

Often top arsenal talents do just 1 loan then come back and if not are not seen as top class, but he needs far more first team football before we can see whether he will make it at arsenal.

Arsenal Quotes

The club changed so much, I changed with it and football has changed with us... But one thing never changes: the 90 minutes still belong to the player, 90 minutes during which he is king.

Arsène Wenger: My Life in Red and White

Latest posts

Top Bottom