• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Will Racism Mar Our New Look Attack

Status
Not open for further replies.

A.M.A.G.

Get over it...

The statement wasn't appropriate... and more so it was stupid of Aragones to say it in public [if in fact he actually said it]

I have yet to meet a person on the planet who isn't prejudice towards some group or the other...

I can appreciate someone expressing their true feelings, however inappropriate [if in fact Aragones acutually said it]... at least Henry now knows where he stands as far the Spanish coach is concerned.

If Aragones actually did make these alleged comments, its obvious he's a throw back to an era that is quickly fading away ... very few people are overtly racist these days... thats why racism is an ugly ugly phenomena... cause its hidden in the hearts, and under the tongue of many men.

when it comes to the word nigger... its one of those words that has morphed over the decades, and for the most part it is no longer used in the derogatory manner it was originally intended. And for the black folks on this site... don't start with that rubbish that "n-i-g-g-e-r" is different from "n-i-g-g-a".

I for one use that word as if it was water, and to a variety of effects: I can use it to have any of the following conotations: 1. you're a good friend, 2. you're an audacious prick 3. you're a dumbass. And my refering to you by this word will be irrespective of your race, color or creed.

Aragones comments should not be allowed to have ripple effects reaching across the damn atlantic. Let that chain smoking nigger [here meaning audacious prick or dumb-ass, take your pick] eat a fat one.

P.S. any of you.. black or white, that don't like what i'm saying, you can kiss my black jamaican arse!

"fa shankle ma nanckle" -- Elephant Man

sabret00the

Established Member
*Loyan* said:
He didn't say that. I don't even think he can put together a sentence that complete on his own. Yes this makes us wonder, but the fact is the coach said it and he wants to stay on good terms. I have a feeling they talked about it in privated and Reyes probably told him he didn't appreciate that sort of language. Anyways I'm sure nothing will happen between Henry and Reyes. Henry is too big a man to let that affect him.
not being funny but we don't know the language he spoke in to write off the comments based on liqual ability alone

A.M.A.G. said:
Get over it...

The statement wasn't appropriate... and more so it was stupid of Aragones to say it in public [if in fact he actually said it]

I have yet to meet a person on the planet who isn't prejudice towards some group or the other...

I can appreciate someone expressing their true feelings, however inappropriate [if in fact Aragones acutually said it]... at least Henry now knows where he stands as far the Spanish coach is concerned.

If Aragones actually did make these alleged comments, its obvious he's a throw back to an era that is quickly fading away ... very few people are overtly racist these days... thats why racism is an ugly ugly phenomena... cause its hidden in the hearts, and under the tongue of many men.

when it comes to the word nigger... its one of those words that has morphed over the decades, and for the most part it is no longer used in the derogatory manner it was originally intended. And for the black folks on this site... don't start with that rubbish that "n-i-g-g-e-r" is different from "n-i-g-g-a".

I for one use that word as if it was water, and to a variety of effects: I can use it to have any of the following conotations: 1. you're a good friend, 2. you're an audacious prick 3. you're a dumbass. And my refering to you by this word will be irrespective of your race, color or creed.

Aragones comments should not be allowed to have ripple effects reaching across the damn atlantic. Let that chain smoking nigger [here meaning audacious prick or dumb-ass, take your pick] eat a fat one.

P.S. any of you.. black or white, that don't like what i'm saying, you can kiss my black jamaican arse!

wow how much bollocks did you just spew. i'm not gonna go into the word the fact of the matter is it shouldn't be used and it shouldn't be swept under the carpet either. it should be punished and it should be frowned upon, the issue here isn't the word or even Aragones, it's the fact that Reyes defended the comments and what effect it'll have on their partnership.

the dawn raids

Established Member
if he isnt at least fined, that has to discredit FIFA's 'determination' to wipe out rascism in football; commentators have been fined for just implying things like this, let alone someone using the 'n' word with blatant disregard.

stumpi1

:evil: bullshit,as a blackman i find some of the blase attitude on here as crap!get this stupidness out of football m8,i hope reyes didnt think or say its a laugh cos i aint f,ing laughing,at all.

patrick42uk

Established Member
i dont think aragones intended for it to be public. it was on the training pitch, overheard by journalists. now if he gets punished, what is he getting punished for? for not being careful enough to make sure it wasnt public or the fact that he uttered a rascist remark? we wont have heard of it if it wasnt overheard. i'm absolutely convinced the word is used within footballing circles but its only when someone mistakenly lets it slip in public that he gets punished. i think its pointless because that wont change the person's view. its not right, but its the way of life. i guess the case for punishing him would be to send out a message to kid's for instance that its wrong. i can imagine sepp blatter getting on his moral high horse over this in public, when for all we know he has used the word on occassions in private.

King Cannon

What I don't get is why Aragones would speak English to Reyes?

Well, most likely he didn´t, he probably said something equivalent to N** but in Spanish.

So, then we have the aspect of translation aswell, did he really say the N-word or something else which the media jumped at like the vultures they are?

informed1

Its very irrelevant whether or not he meant for it to be in the publiic eye; his players will play against non-white players and its just not acceptable. I know alot of them use the word but it doesn't make it right.

He is in a position of power and influence and what made it worse was what Reyes said about it being kept in the dressing room. If a small black child hears that how do you think he will feel? If a white child hears that he will more than likely think its acceptable especially since boy wonder didn't condemn it and in fact said it was a joke. I'm not laughing and neither are a lot of sport fans.

If he thinks its fine for him to say that in training then its fine for his players to say it while playing on the pitch. The England players jersey today had the words Kick Racism Out Of Football.........Last time I looked Reyes was playing football for Spain so shouldn't that message apply to what the coach said? Again I ask if someone called Reyes by a racist slur do you think Henry would say it was a joke and would it be deemed acceptable?

patrick42uk

Established Member
what we should be hoping was misquoted is reyes describing it as a laugh. sometimes when i read reyes' words in the press i cringe. like comparing scotland to san marino, openly talking about the vieira madrid saga, suggesting belgium dont have a chance against spain and now describing the use of a racist word as having a laugh. even worse he has attributed it to spanish team as a whole saying 'it concerns only them and should remain among them'. the boy needs some lessons in dealing with the media.

JazzG

Established Member
Hopefully just the way is translating makes them sound odd, I agree that some of his comments are a little odd.

informed1

most of the world has picked it up ....apparently his words were:

Dígale al negro que usted es mejor

Say to the negro that you are better

to my understanding that what was said; there is also a video clip of it which has been played on Spanish tv news

RocktheCasbah

Established Member
I think a lot of you here don't fully understand that Reyes is not english he is spanish. I'm not gonna sit here and call all spaniards racist, cos they're not. But having spent a year in Spain, I can tell you their attitudes towards black people are not the same as ours. It's not seen as abuse over there, it's just the way they are.

Besides which, we do have to wonder how much truth there can be in this story.

RocktheCasbah

Established Member
informed1 said:

to my understanding that what was said; there is also a video clip of it which has been played on Spanish tv news

There you go. "Negro", it means black, it does not mean, to the best of my knowledge, nigger.

kanuuu

Established Member
But to call him "The Negro" or the "The Black" instead of calling him by his name is out of order.

informed1

OneteaminLondon said:
informed1 said:

There you go. "Negro", it means black, it does not mean, to the best of my knowledge, nigger.
That is still racist...why does he need to refer to his colour. He has a name (three infact Thierry Daniel Henry) or even titi.....if he cant remember he should say his team mate or whatever. He did not need to go there, it was said with purpose and none of it was with any respect towards Henry. Still not acceptable.

gunnertilldeath

Established Member
i am extremely shocked at this. why make reference to a players race as far as football goes? its ****ing * like aragones that give entire nations a bad name. a man of his calibre and influence should be much more careful about his utterances. i am hoping that the allegations are false but the initial laxity i saw on this forum in reaction to the first reports of this incident are startling to say the least. someone is reported to have refered to the darling of highbury as a "black ****" and some of you dismiss it as nothing?? i find that disgusting. insulting anyone of any race on account of their race is simply disgusting. arsenal, more than any other team in the world stands for unity of all peoples. we are a multi-cultural, multi-racial organization and we should all be enraged at the alleged comments of mr. aragones.

kanuuu

Established Member
Most people are enraged at the alleged comments, but nobody here knows what was actually said.

Mbaki Mutahaba

Established Member
A.M.A.G. said:
Get over it...

That is ome serious dumbass comments. I dare you come to this side(oakland) and use that word "nigga" infront of a crowd of black folks(ghetto or non-ghetto).

Archero

RACISM!!!!???? :shock: :shock: :shock:

Well, I'm spanish and i can tell you those words dont mean anything, Aragones was only trying to motivate Reyes. We are surprised for the fact that Aragones said Reyes was better than Henry (of course, he isnt), if he called Henry 'black' is meaningless...

If you still have doubts, only one thing...is Reyes a pure WHITE-MAN??? (if you don't know he is half gypsy).

...I remember a similar situation with Aragones and......Eto'o :lol:

Don't look for matters where there aren't.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arsenal Quotes

A football team is like a beautiful woman. When you do not tell her, she forgets she is beautiful.

Arsène Wenger
Top Bottom