• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Will Silvestre ever play again?

Illusion

Established Member
I only saw him as an emergency player realistically, although my dismay at the state of our defence ended up with me hoping Silvestre could be some kind of answer. That's clearly something that didn't happen so my original emergency player thoughts come back to me.

Clrnc

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

Player:Tomiyasu
**** Silvest. We should never have signed him. Everytime he plays, its like we are waiting for a disaster to happen.

I hope we offload him at the end of the season

dbig

Was an okay stop gap and backup for our CBs and LB since Gibbs wasn't ready at the start of the season and Kolo and JD's fitness were suspect. Had some pretty good performance for us, notably against MU, but was usually average and, sometimes, below average - much like the rest of the team this season.

He seems to have moved down the pecking order now, with JD and Gibbs above him and that should be the way things will be in the future. I think he was a decent signing that brought some experience while allowing the youngsters to transition to the main backups.

Can't see him playing unless we get decimated at the back.

Gilberto looked a good backup CB 2 seasons ago but last season he was pretty poor whenever he played as the CB. Maybe he could have performed better this season with more games but who knows? Can only speculate now.

qs

Established Member
Klaus Daimler said:
Well, yeah. I don't care for Silvestre either. In fact, I hate that an ex-United c**t is a part of our squad.

That said, he's done okay when he's been playing as a centreback. Especially in the game against United. Plus, nobody who scores against Sp**s is a disgrace.

He hasn't done ok though. Thats the problem, he's been terrible. Just look at the games he's played, most of them are our worst games this season. The guys a disaster, worse for the team than Eboue.

Zico

Established Member
Klaus Daimler said:
Gotta love the attitude around here sometimes. People have been calling for stopgap players the whole season in midfield, but when we have one in central defence all of a sudden it's about blocking the kids' progress. Silvestre's good for what he is: a fourth choice centreback who won't play much, won't moan about not playing much but who's able to bring some experience onto the field if and when he is getting a game. He costed nothing and is a better spare choice than Nordtveit. End of.

I'm with Klaus on this one. A team needs guys like Silvestre. Ideally, it should be players who have come through our system like Gilberto and Campbell. Failing that, a veteran like Silvestre can add a lot to training and is a good option when we lose our starters.

TomasCR

Established Member
qs said:
He hasn't done ok though. Thats the problem, he's been terrible. Just look at the games he's played, most of them are our worst games this season. The guys a disaster, worse for the team than Eboue.
Can´t believe what you did there.

Would love to know how a player of Silvestre quality can add something to a training, how he can help the youngsters to develop, whatever.

First of all, I think he has absolutely no respect among the players. Came from United when they didn´t want him, has played a few games in the last few years. The guy will struggle to get himself on the bench for god´s sake. The only thing he can be good at is telling Wenger a few of Wergie´s secrets when we play with United.

If he is just quiet and plays only when two of our CDs are out, fair enough. Still makes me laugh when I remember he said he was going to be in the starting eleven when he came, joker.

Unforgiven

Established Member
I think song falling back to playing as a defender would be as good as Silvestre on the field. I don't think Silvestre can add any experience to the youngsters in the training ground.

I remember when we lost to Burnley he played, but was quite useless. So much for inspiring the kids.

I suppose there is no harm in keeping him for the rest of the season as a 4th defender, but I think there is no point in keeping him longer than this season.

Shadow Moses

Established Member
quincy42 said:
Klaus Daimler said:
Gotta love the attitude around here sometimes. People have been calling for stopgap players the whole season in midfield, but when we have one in central defence all of a sudden it's about blocking the kids' progress. Silvestre's good for what he is: a fourth choice centreback who won't play much, won't moan about not playing much but who's able to bring some experience onto the field if and when he is getting a game. He costed nothing and is a better spare choice than Nordtveit. End of.

I'm with Klaus on this one. A team needs guys like Silvestre. Ideally, it should be players who have come through our system like Gilberto and Campbell. Failing that, a veteran like Silvestre can add a lot to training and is a good option when we lose our starters.

No team deserves such punishment. A team needs veterans but unfortunately Silvester doesn't fall into that category. He's on the same level as Bramble, Raul Bravo, Abidal.. players you beat yourself up at night wondering how they managed to get a footballing contract and you didn't. He should be no where near the squad except you want to demonstrate how not to defend.

Proof

Established Member
We have the most accomplished 4th choice then. Seriously now, I don't mind having him on the bench, he will be used for domestic cup games where he will play alongside Djourou or Toure.
I wouldn't be bothered if he will be sold tomorrow in the morning either, he is like a 'plug', I mean Oh..we have Silvestre!

Unforgiven

Established Member
If toure or Gallas are not playing, I would want Djourou to play because he is better and is worth getting the experience of a game.

Since djourou emerged this season Silvestre has no use whatsoever.

A_Gooner_Matata

Established Member
No transfer under Arsène Wenger has ever depressed me...except for Silvestre. He's a Manc, and a long-serving one at that. He was also their worst regular starter when he was a regular starter. And we bought him when he wasn't good enough to be a regular starter anymore. Whenever I see him, it pisses me off. I hope not to see too much of him in the future.

Unforgiven

Established Member
When he was playing for Man united as a starter he was ****.

He will be gone by the end of the season.

qs

Established Member
Unforgiven said:
I remember when we lost to Burnley he played, but was quite useless. So much for inspiring the kids.

Worst player on the pitch that day. Worst against City. His inclusion in the defence seems to immediately turn it from not great to shockingly bad.

Gibbs is better at LB, Djourou and Song are better CBs. There is no use for Silvestre.

arsmile

Established Member
5th choice cb...3rd or 4th choice lb.......suddenly when you consider hiswages he doesnt look like such a bargain buy..but i hope Arsène doesnt play him because of this regardless of his incompetence.

progman07

Established Member
I hate Silvestre. Not only he is a Man Utd **** but he is ****. Ferguson was probably laughing hard when Wenger came into the scene for him, no wonder we got him so quick.

I don't see how could he pass 'experience' in the team, the point of an experienced player is that he doesn't make big mistakes - but Silvestre does it more often than a youngster like Gibbs.

qs

Established Member
Silvestres "experience" is riding the coattails of quality players for years. I'm sure there tons he can pass onto Eboue.

tam1886

Established Member
Yeah, and the experience is the only thing I can see that he could offer us. I don't see him as a character in the dressing room. In every other department I reckon we'd have been better off keeping Senderos.

hackajack

Established Member
A_Gooner_Matata said:
No transfer under Arsène Wenger has ever depressed me...except for Silvestre. He's a Manc, and a long-serving one at that. He was also their worst regular starter when he was a regular starter. And we bought him when he wasn't good enough to be a regular starter anymore. Whenever I see him, it pisses me off. I hope not to see too much of him in the future.
I was actually pleased to see him injured and off v Plymouth. He still managed to be **** in the 20 minutes he was on for. Very poor call by Wenger.

General

Established Member
You can't fault him for the passion he played with against his old team at Ashburton though. Fully committed and it was the same against the yiddos.

Klaus Daimler said:

People just enjoy having a ****ing moan for the sake of it and this is just indicative of fans who refuse to see the bigger picture. It’s not like we had a collection of world class center backs and Wenger went and rocked the boat.

Arsenal Quotes

I am immensely proud to say that I am the manager who has won the most FA Cups, and MY Arsenal are the club to lift it the most.

Arsène Wenger

Latest posts

Top Bottom