• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Will the Gunners win the Premiership ever again?

Djibril

There are many threads about the financial side of Arsenal FC, threads about the Board and its members as well as threads about our squad and manager...

but my question is, and i think it's fair to say that many gunners have reasonable doubts about us winning it ever again, will we at least in the near future, win it?

my answer is, no we won't. as long as things pan out the way they did since we moved to the emirates regarding our club's strucure as well as the overall football situation in england.

Share your thoughts.

Proof

Established Member
The longer you go after winning your last league title, the harder and harder it gets to win one again. Winning another league title in the near future, it's not likely with the present team and the approach towards transfers.

Djibril

Proof said:
The longer you go after winning your last league title, the harder and harder it gets to win one again. Winning another league title in the near future, it's not likely with the present team and the approach towards transfers.

But it's said to change, and in all honesty it already did with the numerous players going in and out of the club in the summer. with the new sponser deal, hopefully better wage structure and paid off debt coming up, will we be able to compete with the big buck clubs?

Spork

Established Member
Lol. Ever again? Yes, we will win hundreds, if not thousands of titles, as long as the world continues to turn, and the sport continues to exist, and Arsenal continues to never be relegated.

Vinci

The Sultan of Unai

New commercial deals, better wage structure are pretty much fundamental if we want to move forward. We have to spend more and buy instant quality to keep up with City and their never ending spending spree.

It's football, anything can happen, though.

Djibril

Spork said:
Lol. Ever again? Yes, we will win hundreds, if not thousands of titles, as long as the world continues to turn, and the sport continues to exist, and Arsenal continues to never be relegated.

that was uncalled for. either reply something constructive or nothing at all.

cheers

Djibril

Vinci said:
New commercial deals, better wage structure are pretty much fundamental if we want to move forward. We have to spend more and buy instant quality to keep up with City and their never ending spending spree.

i disagree. jack, sneezy, robin, sagna, gervinho are the best examples that we dont HAVE to spend as much as city does for example.

i think it's only necessary to spend big bucks every now and then instead of the shopping sprees the manc clubs and the chavs regularly have.

dpt49

Established Member
With Man u, Man city and Chelsea buying squad players for more than we spend on our record signing, it seems unlikely.

To use Man u as an example, last season they had players like,
Anderson
Berbatov
Nani
Hargreaves
Carrick
Valencia

as squad players, and all of them were bought for more than £16m

We had squad players like Denilson, Diaby, Chamakh, Squillaci, Bendtner, Rosicky etc.

The difference is obvious.
When we get our usual injury crisis we rely on inferior quality players. When Man u, Man city or Chelsea get injuries they still field quality players.

Until we start buying quality rather than selling it, I would think winning the title is highly unlikely.

So either we settle for top four or hope Usmanov can spend the sort of money that is required to start winning trophies

Spork

Established Member
How? You said 'ever'.. Of course we will win titles in the future.

There really is no way of telling for sure how long it will be until we win any trophy again, could be this season (CC, or FA if anything) could be in a hundred years time (hopefully not).

I just don't see too much point in a thread like this, as it's all just guessing games, there is no one in the world who could reliably predict who will even win the trophies in this season, without even going into the distant future.

For all we know, Accrington F.C or what ever they be called will start dominating, and continue to for the next ten years.

However, if I really had to guess, I would say that there is a chance that we may win the title within the next five years, it all(not really all) depends on what happens between the battle of Stan and Usmanov.

EDIT: If things continue as they are now, with every **** team being bought out by multi-billionaires then Arsenal will either need to sell to someone who is happy to comply with the same methods, or accept that, as you may be hinting at we will 'never' win another title again.

Kroket

Trusty and Sensible
Yes, we will definitely win the title again. It may seem as if the odds are stacked against us what with the sugar daddies and (the lack of) financial fair play, but I've seen enough in the past few seasons to convince me the financial muscle of other clubs can be beaten. We've had many good teams over the past few seasons who ended up falling short not because other teams have more money than us, but because of injuries, poor squad management, lack of mental strength, tactical mistakes and sheer bad luck.

In the short term we probably can't touch the Manchester teams, but we will mount serious title challenges and there's no reason why we couldn't succeed in any of them. The Premiership as a whole was much stronger in 07/08 and we came pretty close then!

Djibril

still, the drop in quality in the united squad as you've mentioned is more than obvious.

just because they've spent more money on those players it doesn't necessarily mean that those players are a better backup to their respective XI player.

as you see the crux isn't as obvious as it seems.

btw, owen hargreaves is at city now

Djibril

Spork said:
How? You said 'ever'.. Of course we will win titles in the future.

There really is no way of telling for sure how long it will be until we win any trophy again, could be this season (CC, or FA if anything) could be in a hundred years time (hopefully not).
I just don't see too much point in a thread like this, as it's all just guessing games, there is no one in the world who could reliably predict who will even win the trophies in this season, without even going into the distant future.

For all we know, Accrington F.C or what ever they be called will start dominating, and continue to for the next ten years.

However, if I really had to guess, I would say that there is a chance that we may win the title within the next five years, it all(not really all) depends on what happens between the battle of Stan and Usmanov.

EDIT: If things continue as they are now, with every **** team being bought out by multi-billionaires then Arsenal will either need to sell to someone who is happy to comply with the same methods, or accept that, as you may be hinting at we will 'never' win another title again.

it's not about any trophy though. a championship team could win the CC or FA cup, it's all about the focus in those couple of games.

but i'm talking about a premier league season. 38 games. that's a lot harder than running away with a cup mate.

it's no guessing game really, otherwise where would be the sense of a forum like this one since we can't predict scorelines, player developments etc. etc.

there's a trend in the PL, stacking up quality, being bought by billionaires and having 20teams where almost everyone can beat everyone.

Vinci

The Sultan of Unai

Djibril said:
Vinci said:

i disagree. jack, sneezy, robin, sagna, gervinho are the best examples that we dont HAVE to spend as much as city does for example.

i think it's only necessary to spend big bucks every now and then instead of the shopping sprees the manc clubs and the chavs regularly have.

I agree, I would hate for us to be like City. For example if we want to compete can we do so with youngsters in their first year at Arsenal as a first back-up for certain positions.

Instant quality for me would be Arteta, Mertesacker, etc., players who have proven themselves.

Djibril

Kroket said:
Yes, we will definitely win the title again. It may seem as if the odds are stacked against us what with the sugar daddies and (the lack of) financial fair play, but I've seen enough in the past few seasons to convince me the financial muscle of other clubs can be beaten. We've had many good teams over the past few seasons who ended up falling short not because other teams have more money than us, but because of injuries, poor squad management, lack of mental strength, tactical mistakes and sheer bad luck.

In the short term we probably can't touch the Manchester teams, but we will mount serious title challenges and there's no reason why we couldn't succeed in any of them. The Premiership as a whole was much stronger in 07/08 and we came pretty close then!

my point is, have those shortcomings been adressed? or do you see the right tools (manager, player, board, financial power) to fix them right now?

my question is whether this club will be ABLE to win it again. right now we are not. but what is it, that has to change to be first again.

dpt49

Established Member
Djibril said:
still, the drop in quality in the united squad as you've mentioned is more than obvious.

just because they've spent more money on those players it doesn't necessarily mean that those players are a better backup to their respective XI player.

There might have been a drop in quality but they still have quality cover in all positions which we don't.

I would say they have plenty of squad players that would get in our first team whereas apart from a few first team players, I can't see many of our squad players getting in the Man u first team.

I know Hargreaves is at Man city, but that is why I said the list was from last season.
I wanted him in the list to strengthen my argument. Saying that he only started about three games in the last two seasons so I should have probably left him out :wink:

Djibril

Vinci said:
Djibril said:
Vinci said:

I agree, I would hate for us to be like City. For example if we want to compete can we do so with youngsters in their first year at Arsenal as a first back-up for certain positions.

Instant quality for me would be Arteta, Mertesacker, etc., players who have proven themselves.

arteta is no improvement to our squad as jack (basically a kid) is better but out injured. once jack is back, arteta will only feature the odd game and thus is a waste of money already. it's Arsène's fault that we only have had players like rosicky, denilson, diaby etc. in our ranks so that the signing of arteta seems like an improvement.

Kroket

Trusty and Sensible
Djibril said:
Kroket said:

my point is, have those shortcomings been adressed? or do you see the right tools (manager, player, board, financial power) to fix them right now?

my question is whether this club will be ABLE to win it again. right now we are not. but what is it, that has to change to be first again.

In the short term, absolutely not. Our squad clearly isn't good enough to win the league and I think Arsène's weaknesses have been horribly exposed in recent times. Some of the tactics and his man management during our six-month slump have been terrible, or at least it seems that way from the outside.

There is however a very solid foundation and we have many promising youth players brought up the Arsenal way ready to make the step up to senior football. Add to that the fact I honestly don't think our shortcomings in recent times are impossible to rectify, and things aren't as bad as they perhaps look to be. I'm 100% certain the club is still attractive enough to attract very good managers and players too, maybe not world class players but even when we were winning things we were hardly ever going to sign the Zidane's and the Brazilian Ronaldo's of this world.

As long as Wenger keeps us in the Top 4 I think another manager can come in and deliver the finishing touch. My biggest concern is that the club are just going to appoint another Wenger when the Frenchman himself leaves, someone who perhaps is better at economics and player development than winning difficult football matches.

Armor for Sleep

Established Member
Arteta a waste of money :lol:

He's been excellent and even if he does only feature in the odd game when Jack returns he'll prove to be a valuable squad player and much better than any back-ups we've had in recent seasons.

Anyway i agree with a lot of what Kroket has said. Throwing money at players obviously helps but it doesn't guarantee anything. If we're clever, sign the right players, bring through our talent and AW or whoever gets it right then yes we can win the title, infact i'm confident we will.

And while it might seem like we've been going nowhere, its actually only what, 5 years since we made a major decision to move stadiums. Things will get better from a financial point of view and its not like this current squad is lacking all over the place...i'm confident we will challenge for the tile next season actually.

Djibril

dpt49 said:
Djibril said:

There might have been a drop in quality but they still have quality cover in all positions which we don't.

I would say they have plenty of squad players that would get in our first team whereas apart from a few first team players, I can't see many of our squad players getting in the Man u first team.

I know Hargreaves is at Man city, but that is why I said the list was from last season.
I wanted him in the list to strengthen my argument. Saying that he only started about three games in the last two seasons so I should have probably left him out :wink:

spending 30mil on berbatov then hardly using him is no logic i'd like to see at arsenal. sure their players are superior in some aspects, well probably in all of them, but throwing around taht much money with such a high risk at wasting most of it isn't desireable at all. (even if it brought them succesc at this rate)

Djibril

Armor for Sleep said:
Arteta a waste of money :lol:

He's been excellent and even if he does only feature in the odd game when Jack returns he'll prove to be a valuable squad player and much better than any back-ups we've had in recent seasons.

Anyway i agree with a lot of what Kroket has said. Throwing money at players obviously helps but it doesn't guarantee anything. If we're clever, sign the right players, bring through our talent and AW or whoever gets it right then yes we can win the title, infact i'm confident we will.

And while it might seem like we've been going nowhere, its actually only what, 5 years since we made a major decision to move stadiums. Things will get better from a financial point of view and its not like this current squad is lacking all over the place...i'm confident we will challenge for the tile next season actually.

arteta's luck was that diaby and jack were out and nasri and cesc left, he's been bought because we were ectremely short in numbers at the start of the season.

he is a waste of money since i'd rather see that money spent on his fee and wages on the extra quid to get us a player that actually imoroves us on what we already have.

Arsenal Quotes

One of the things I discovered in Japan was from watching sumo wrestling. At the end you can never tell who has won the fight, and who has lost, because they do not show their emotion because it could embarrass the loser. It is unbelievable. That is why I try to teach my team politeness. It is only here in England that everybody pokes their tongue out when they win.

Arsène Wenger
Top Bottom