• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Will Theo ever step up?

Kilgallon

A lot of our players don't make effective runs off the ball...Theo's possibly the best we have for making penetrative, fast runs behind the defence, and should be in the team based on that alone.

Even if his dribbling's a little dodgy sometimes, defenders still **** themselves because of his pace.

progman07

Established Member
Don Pacifico said:
He'd really suit our counter-attacking style...if we still played like that.
Most of the teams, especially at the Emirates, don't come out and they park the bus.

Try countering a team like that.

Don Pacifico

Established Member
I think people over-exaggerate the whole 'parking the bus' argument. The bottom line is, that we've changed our style of play these days, facilitated by a change in our CM lynchpin.

True Gooner

Established Member
Don Pacifico said:
He'd really suit our counter-attacking style...if we still played like that.

I think we're definitely aiming to return to a more counter-attacking style this season.

Don Pacifico

Established Member
I'm not sure TG. Whilst our passing game seems to have been upped in terms of tempo, we still rely on static movement rather than runners. That's been my impression at least.

Kilgallon

It's the static movement which is killing the flow of our game. We need some aggressive runners in the team. Arshavin and Theo are the key players in that area.

True Gooner

Established Member
I think there's plenty of movement up front even if we don't have enough 'runners'. If we play any of Arshavin, Eduardo, Walcott, van Persie (preferably on the right), Bendtner - to an extent and even Eboue we have players who find space which allow our midfield to pass the ball into. I don't see why it's necessary to rely on pure pace and acceleration while counter attacking. For me counter attacking is all about hitting your opponent where it hurts quickly - in which case it doesn't matter if the ball moves faster than the player.

More importantly, we've started to win the ball much higher up the pitch allowing us to break from all directions. We're probably not going to see what we saw during the early part of the decade because teams aren't daft enough to play a high line against us any more but I think we're going for something between counter attacking and a possession based style which will work in Europe as well as in the league.

Klaus Daimler

Established Member
"Static movement"?

Anyway, there's nothing wrong with our movement. There's something very wrong with the current finishing ability of our strikers though, which makes all the movement preceding the chances pointless. I hope it will change a bit as Eduardo gains momentum and fitness, and Walcott and Vela makes it back.

People seem quick to forget that we've indeed scored a couple of counter goals already this season too. Cesc scored a great one against Everton for example. Diaby followed it up with a class goal against Pompey. To expect to always play on counters is bordering on ignorance though. Limited teams have to adapt their game to fit their opponents. Great teams have a game of their own and the will and quality to enforce it on the field.

Webdesignlab

Established Member
Theos always better when he is a theory and not a reality it seems.

Great to dream about his attacking skills and great, fast runs, but does not actually score.

Hope he proves me wrong because I also see the possibility if not the actual product.

xcdude24

Established Member
To be fair, he's always seemed to be a good finisher whenever he's given the chance. He just has trouble getting into those positions. And a lot of that comes down to the fact that he's simply not a right winger.

Kilgallon

Theo's finishing isn't actually that bad. On occasion it's brilliant. He just needs the balls played into him when he makes good runs...

Agree with xcdude24, he's definitely a striker. Wenger said something a while back about improving Theo's all round game by putting him on the wing for a few years a la Henry.

number_0

Established Member
Theo's finishing is first class, but he hesitates alot when given time to think.
I prefer him as a sub not a starter regardless of formation.

USArsenal

H.Y.I.C.
number_0 said:
Theo's finishing is first class, but he hesitates alot when given time to think.
this ^^

Theo's problem is decision making.. when he only has 1 option, he usually does it well..

Arsenal Quotes

When you grow up with a club and you end up playing for them and winning things, you are from that club. I was born here. I was formulated here.

Liam Brady
Top Bottom