• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Will Theo ever step up?

progman07

Established Member
qs said:
Freddie was a great user of space, he ran the channels brilliantly. He was then blessed to play in a team with players like Bergkamp, Henry and Pires who could see his running and pick him out.
We need this kind of player. Cesc, Arshavin, and even boring Denilson and Nasri can pick passes in our team, but if we don't have movement, how exactly could they do anything? When RvP and Bendtner, along with our midfielders are standing still, maybe jogging backwards, no magical Bergkamp pass would find any of them through 1-on-1 with the keeper.

truth_hurts

but Holding’s hair transplant was painless
We definatle lack movement and players looking to run in behind and this is one reason why I fought Theo's corner for starting games on our wing as he offers what most of the rest of our midfield doesnt - directness.

qs

Established Member
We've missed it for years prog and not just from the wings. Back in those days Vieira would make late runs from deep. Who does that now? Its one of the reasons I like Ramsey, he isn't afraid to be direct and get forward.

otfgoon

Established Member
It's the one thing that makes me think Chamakh might be a decent buy, as his movement and running off the ball seems to be his standout feature.

progman07

Established Member
qs said:
We've missed it for years prog and not just from the wings. Back in those days Vieira would make late runs from deep. Who does that now? Its one of the reasons I like Ramsey, he isn't afraid to be direct and get forward.
Of course not only from the wings, though I think when Cesc trusts his teammates he makes runs - in 07/08 he made a lot, and last season his goals against Boro came from good runs, too.

qs

Established Member
The thing is Cesc shouldn't really need to make those runs, he's the one to pick the runs out. van Persie for instance rarely makes good runs into the box, Ade was the same, Bendtners the same too. Eduardo does, which is great. He's our most natural striker.

To go back onto topic Theo does make runs when he plays up front, he often finds good space. I seen him do it alot for the U21s this summer. Unfortunately in a team with zero vision its pointless but for us it might work. However its yet to be seen against top rate defenders often enough.

If Wenger could commit to a proper 4-3-3 I think Theo would do great. Unlikely to happen though.

kamikaze80

Established Member
freddie's first touch was much better than walcott's. capable of some nice turns on receipt of the ball. freddie was also excellent at putting the ball where he wanted to, which meant he was a very accurate passer and a lethal finisher. i don't judge technique by fancy dribbling, which walcott doesn't have, either, anyway.

there's only one definition of technique: making the ball do what you want it to.

absolutely composed in the box as well, with excellent awareness and movement. rarely made the wrong decision at decisive moments. but i think everyone agrees that the mental part of his game was superb.

dionysius

truth_hurts said:
Can anybody honestly see Theo being one of the best strikers in the league held in the same esteem as Torres, Rooney, Drogba, Anelka, Berbatov or even Robbie Keane? I don't but I can see him becoming an even more dangerous attacker who adds a bit of consistency to our game. Our other striking options are better at the moment but Theo tops them all for pace, is high in the rankings for finishing and his movement at least exists so theres every chance he can step up and make an impact. In terms of making it as a wide man bar speed and directness I can see Arshavin, Rosicky (if he ever plays again), Wilshere and Even Traore as having better tools as wide men.

He will step up but i'm not convinced it will be this season. He can be tested until Rosicky and Nasri return as we have some big tests at the start of the season.

I actually can, given a few years. When Christiano Ronaldo first went to Man U, everybody was writing him off as possessing fancy feet with no end product. But he made gradual improvements every year and of course, we all know what came of him. That's not to say that Walcott WILL develop like Ronaldo, but I believe the potential is there. He has pace, which no one can teach. He has technique, which is harder to learn when you're older. He may lack a bit of footballing intelligence, which can be taught. If he's a good student, he'll learn. He's already improved. It's a matter of continuing that improvement. I think he'll make it.

truth_hurts

but Holding’s hair transplant was painless
Fair enough dionysius to be honest the players I mentioned all peaked at different times and aged 20 the rankings of those players may be very different to what it is now. What all these players have though is pressence and this is perhaps what theo needs to develop as at times he looks like a 20 year old child on the pitch whereas the Likes of Rooney, Anelka and Even Keane at 20 never seemed fazed to be on the pitch.

A

Anonymous

progman07 said:
qs said:
Freddie was a great user of space, he ran the channels brilliantly. He was then blessed to play in a team with players like Bergkamp, Henry and Pires who could see his running and pick him out.
We need this kind of player. Cesc, Arshavin, and even boring Denilson and Nasri can pick passes in our team, but if we don't have movement, how exactly could they do anything? When RvP and Bendtner, along with our midfielders are standing still, maybe jogging backwards, no magical Bergkamp pass would find any of them through 1-on-1 with the keeper.
The problem is not the wings, it is and has been the centre of midfield, you say it without realizing it by stating "pick passes"...that is in fact all Cesc, Denilson can do. And every team who lines up against us knows it, and plays for it, and 9/10 times proper teams nullify it. You say it again about midfielders standing still. We dont have a main creative midfielder whose game is more than picking passes, but rather also being able to advance with the ball at their feet with pace, trickery and/or power, and having enough strentgh to take care of themselves individually. The problem for the last 4 seasons has been the centre of the park, the area which is supposed to make the game flow easier for all other areas of the field (like we used to have), not the other way around. Solve the centre of midfield and we solve the problem. And I don't just mean the defensive side ofd CM, but also the creative side. We need more well rounded players in the centre of the park. Viera, Petit, Edu and even Gilberto (to a lesser extent) could all pick passes, but importantly they could also advance with the ball at their feet, run forward with power, take care of themselves defensively, and fankly sacre the opposition. Sorry but Cesc and co. scares no-one

A

Anonymous

qs said:
Theo has more footballing intelligence than he's being given credit for.
I think Theo actually gets far too much credit as a footballer than he deserves. It's not even about age, he simply doesn't not understand, read or see the game naturally at the level we expect/want of an Arsenal player. Phenomenal athlete, but sub-standard as a cerebral footballer.

Clrnc

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

Player:Tomiyasu
qs said:
Theo has more footballing intelligence than he's being given credit for.
As proven by his very intelligent off the ball running that people often miss out on

Norfbanker

I'd like to see him in the 433, I think it will suit him down to the ground since he can play as a striker without playing through the middle.

Kilgallon

He's quality on form. When he has Fabregas, Rosicky, Nasri and Arshavin playing with him his brilliant off the ball runs won't be for nothing...

Captain

Established Member
He is a liability in most areas of the pitch but his explosiveness is a weapon that can hurt the opposition. He wouldn't be in my first choice eleven right now.

Arsenal Quotes

It’s not impossible to go through a season unbeaten and I can’t see why it’s shocking to say that.

Arsène Wenger, 2 years before the Invincibles completed the unbeaten league season
Top Bottom