• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Will this post 2005 Arsenal nightmare ever end?

Alfonso

Established Member
In 2005, the last time we won a trophy, we began our quest into turning a world class team into a club full of babies, losers and mercenaries. It was largely accepted on here because 'in the future' everything will be alright and 'next year' we will be contenders. Ive previously warned on here that you cant just switch winning mentality on and off. Once you get used to losing and underachivement your ****ed so it was a massive risk embarking on this plan by the club.

Well almost 5 years down the line of this 'transition' (never in my life have i seen a transition stay so constant and without any hope of light at the end of the tunnel) we are in the same position and have the same problems.

These three things will never end. As a result our problems will never end thus we will never improve.

1) Selling key players without replacement.
2) Key players getting big injuries.
3) Lack of ambition/Wenger

The above three have to change and then we will see some progress and then the possibility of real success will materialise. As long at the three points above remain we wont be going anywhere soon and the same **** will happen season in season out

Time is flying by, seasons are passing by, and to me the past 4 years are all morphing into one for me in terms of memories. Just a blur of failure and excuses. This history books will look back at Wengers time at the club between 2005 and 2010 and one word will be dominant: Failure.

What is a season? Everyone says 'next season next season' as if magically over the summer Wenger and the board will grow a pair of balls but we are just floating through time and failing miserably.

We use the summer as a window of hope to try and escape from the previous years failures but nothing changes, its just more disappointment.

Ladies and gentleman if we dont do anything this summer we have finally reached the point of no return I have been dreading for over 2 years now.

I know it may seem I say this every year but Wenger really has only 6 weeks to save his Arsenal career, make no mistake about it. Finishing 4th is not acceptable and I dont want to go into a new decade having the same bs involving the team.

Lord Dula

Established Member
During that time Wengers teams have been so imbalanced - generally half a team of good players, and half a team of tripe.

If we are to win anytime soon, we need our class players (Arshavin, Cesc and Gav Hoyte) available and performing well throughout the seasons entirity. We go into each season with too much risk.

progman07

Established Member
If we don't win anything this season, we can expect the worst. Cesc, Arshavin, etc. leaving, and us dropping out of the top 4 in the following season.

So everything depends on this season.

Zico

Established Member
No. It will never end until we get our act together on the commercial side. Chelsea are busy renegotiating their shirt deal, we're still stuck with the same crap Emirates deal and do not have enough big secondary sponsors. If we sort that out and survive the Highbury flats debacle, we'll be alright going forward. We better snap out of it because by next year Citeh should be challenging.

otfgoon

Established Member
I hate to join the ranks of the pessimists, but sadly I can't see it ending this season.

ultradoc

Established Member
It will, this season. We have arshavin,rosicky is back, the verminator. Quite simple.. and we don`t have Ade ;)

outlaw_member

Established Member
I would have been undecided earlier in the day, and possibly even close to a yes. But now I am leaning towards a......no. Nasri's injury is the just one of the many nails that have been hammered in the proverbial coffin. Wenger is spouting the same old **** regarding his transfer policy, and I am 99% convinced that a quality DM will not be bought, a view I've held since last season. I'd put more money on another key player leaving, before we sign the quality DM and AM we are in need of. Rosicky, Nasri and Walcott make up 3/4 of our wide options, all of whom are injury prone. That leaves Arshavin as the only reliable wide option we possess, and god forbid what will happen if he suffers an injury. Let's be honest here, what are the odds that he gains one pretty soon?

asajoseph

Established Member
I honestly think that, unless he gets it right, this could be the season that finally does for Wenger once and for all.

There was genuine anger at the club last season, and whilst some bullish comments at the start of the summer, and a threat to go to Real Madrid, may have got people hoping and on Arsène's side again, if this team don't deliver, I don't think he'll evade criticism nearly so easily next year.

If he can't muster a competitive Arsenal side next season, it's time for Wenger to go.

Viking

asajoseph said:
If he can't muster a competitive Arsenal side next season, it's time for Wenger to go.

I agree. And if the board can't supply us with the necessary funds to get us back where we belong, they should get the **** out, and leave the club to someone who can.

outlaw_member

Established Member
Wenger has always acknowledged the weaknesses and problems we have in the team, regardless of the time it took for the realisation. However, he seems to suffer from short term memory loss, where a few months later, he acts as if the problems have disappeared, and he ends up doing little or nothing about it.

I'm pretty sure that he was devastated after being embarrassed by Man Utd, and probably even set a plan to take us back to the top. Several months later, Ade out-Vermaelen in, surely was not it...

goonerwarsh

Established Member
The problem is the fans don't know who to blame for the predicament were in. Is it the board or Wenger...at the end of the day if he doesn't have proper financial backing there's only so much he can do. Arsenal have champagne tastes on a beer budget and we're piece by piece getting left behind

outlaw_member

Established Member
The board supposedly not backing Wenger is just another attempt to divert from his failures. I somehow doubt that the board have left Wenger hung out to dry, when you consider the 13 year relationship they have between them.

ibby

Established Member
Nothing about Arsenal excites me now, the total opposite to that of 5 years ago. It's so depressing.

I can't believe that Arsène can look any Arsenal fan in the eye and tell us that he thinks we're gonna have a big season, I just can't. Selling our most proven striker to the team tipped to break into the top four this season is just not on, not buying a midfielder we've been crying out for for two years is just not on, telling us every ****ing day that he has 'faith' in the team and that he won't be buying while the players we have constantly disappoint is just not on. Make or break season indeed.

MDGoonah41

Established Member
I thought we capitulated last season.

Looks like I was wrong.

If Wenger doesn't add at least one upper echelon midfielder before the window closes, I think theres a very real chance that we fall out of the top 4

Total Football

I think there's every chance we will win a trophy this season. Yes, the pre season so far hasn't instilled a lot of confidence in the fans, with Adebayor leaving, and Nasri breaking his fibula, but there was always signs that Ade would depart, especially at the end of the season, so it's not a complete shock that we cannot deal with. Nasri's injury is a big blow, but all teams get pre season injuries, some are unlucky and are long term ones instead of slight niggles, and there's not much we can do about it. As the season hasn't started, I'm not all that worried that the "nightmare" is going to continue into the start of the season. We still have plenty of time to supplement to squad (in CM) and perhaps add another striker as well.

outlaw_member

Established Member
Total Football said:
but all teams get pre season injuries, some are unlucky and are long term ones instead of slight niggles, and there's not much we can do about it.

I'm sorry but that is no longer on, we can't just put it down to unfortune and claim that it is out of our hands. We have suffered a crazy number of injuries since 2006, and no team even comes close to our figure. If it occurs in one or two seasons, than that is fair enough. However, we have faced the same problems for 4 years running, so there is definitely more to it than being unlucky.

qs

Established Member
We wont do anything until the situation at board level is resolved one way or another.

qs

Established Member
outlaw_member said:
The board supposedly not backing Wenger is just another attempt to divert from his failures. I somehow doubt that the board have left Wenger hung out to dry, when you consider the 13 year relationship they have between them.

Well they relationships inside the board have fallen apart, Dein was there longer than Wenger, and then theres Lady Nina. A take over is on the horizon and the board are trying to get the loan debt down to as low as possible while remaining a CL side before sale. That will bring them the most money. Until then I don't see them investing in the team. And don't fall for the Usmanov bullshit either, he didn't offer us money, I see people saying "why didn't we take Usmanovs money" but thats just disregarding the facts. He didn't offer us money, he offered to buy himself more power within the club.

Like I just said until the **** at board level is sorted we are in limbo.

TBH I don't want Usmanov or Kroenke. If they haven't been able to buy out the club so far what good are either of them to us?

Arsenal Quotes

There is no chance of Sol ever leaving for Arsenal. He is a Spurs fan and there is not a hope in hell of him playing in an Arsenal shirt.

David Buchler, Tottenham Vice-Chairman, 2001
Top Bottom