• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Will we ever sign a decent defender?

Mr. Hotshot

Established Member
Wenger really does doesn't know what a good defender is? What was he thinking when he bought Cygan. A part from Jeffers, Cygan has been a flop

not a flop but a disaster

hleb

Established Member
Cygan was french player of the year before we signed him. He'll play against Thun and have a good game. Why? Because Cygan is a decent defender, but he gets exposed when sol doesn't play.

YeahBee

Terrible hot takes
Chivu would be great and as things look like in Roma now players will be leaving like rats fro ma sinking ship, (But they will still have Cassano and that is either fantastic or horrible depending on which side of the bed he woke up on) Chivu is a playing defender and you can't say that either Toure or Sol is that so he would be a great player alongside one of them. We can't let go of Toure if his development curve continus at just a third of what it has been he will be one of the best defenders in the wolrd in 3 years. Arsène should go over the channel to Amsterdam and look at Heitinga or Nigel de Jong doesn't matter who. There in there very early twqenties and plays like early 30:s

jeromelee

Cygan seems quality enough to do well in the Malaysian Premier League. Yah, really. He looks like he can do well in Malaysia.

Gooner83

If we didn't have Wenger, who saved us so much money over the years with his bargain buys and lack of buying power would we have been able to fund the new stadium?

Wenger is not stupid, and you won't see him paying over the odds for a player like Graeme Souness or any other substandard english managers.

USArsenal

H.Y.I.C.
Kha0z said:
Won't it hurt.. if Christialvlalv lalalal.. turns out to be a top defender.. and Arsenal spurned the chance.. passing it up to fulham.

if he wasnt hurt all the time... besides, he has always had the ability to be a top defender, he did play for Barca and France... problem is he has Ali Syndrome... glass body

Bobo D. Clown

Central defence is definitely a postion Arsène needs to look at. When i think about the way Manure have treated the position, they brought in players like Ronnie Johnson and Silvestre who, after some stutters came good and filled a whole when necessary, to the point they even became starters. And they went out and bought players, by no means world class, but who had good Premiership experience like Berg and May to fill in for less important games.

Toure and Senderos are gonna be big players for us, Phil just needs time, he's just learning and he's had 4 different partners in central defence as it is. But an experienced hand in there is important, someone mentioned Mellberg and i'd add Distin to that as players who've had plenty of Premiership experience, could easily slot in on the domestic front and give us more options for Europe.

I'm sure players like that would love a move to Arsenal and given our size, be happy to be rotated, and once they are well up for a move and given Dein's ability to negotiate, i doubt the fee or wages would be anything obscene. Compared to conceding goals and dropping points i'd put aside our policy of spending less than a million on an uknown and go for an experienced proven player, who may not be world class, but is competent enough for the job.

First post, sorry it was huge...

A

Anonymous

USArsenal said:
Kha0z said:
Won't it hurt.. if Christialvlalv lalalal.. turns out to be a top defender.. and Arsenal spurned the chance.. passing it up to fulham.

if he wasnt hurt all the time... besides, he has always had the ability to be a top defender, he did play for Barca and France... problem is he has Ali Syndrome... glass body

True.. but that said.. if he does bloom, you won't actually get him again for a decent price, from fulham of all places.

On-topic - Wenger has never really had an eye for the defensive side of the game, Senderos is more of an exception based on talent, rather then position.

kompany

Arsène should go over the channel to Amsterdam and look at Heitinga or Nigel de Jong doesn't matter who. There in there very early twqenties and plays like early 30:s
at the moment heitinga is benching like he's 30 and nigel de jong is played out of position at the centre of defence.
I agree that touré should definitely stay at arsenal

kompany

Arsène should go over the channel to Amsterdam and look at Heitinga or Nigel de Jong doesn't matter who. There in there very early twqenties and plays like early 30:s
at the moment heitinga is benching like he's 30 and nigel de jong is played out of position at the centre of defence.
I agree that touré should definitely stay at arsenal

gun4glory

yeah we dont have decent defenders... Sol campell is terrible;one of the worst in the world, senderos is the worst young player around and has no future what so ever, kolo toure can't clear a ball if his life depended on it and is only a starter for his country, ashley cole can hardley cut it any club let alone arsenal and only barcelona real madrid and chelsea wanted to sign the world worst left-back last year, now lauren where do i start... his country was beggin for this **** player to return and play for cameroon oh i almost forgot about that shiity-ass player called clichy this guy is terrible all he does is give decent competition to the A. Cole thats it... i personally think we should drop all of these players and buy Rio and Terry so everyone could see that arsenal have the best defense in the world...
lighten up guys... we have great players... and we are a great club...

alexander_hleb

greekgunners said:
desiguy said:
it was evident last year and particularly the way united beat us 3 times (FA CUP) we needed new blood

i am so angry right now, that i demand wenger to be sacked because i do not feel he can take us further.

i like to see a younger coach maybe paul le grun in charge

gooner05 said:
wenger does not know what a good defender and a goalkeeper is

I agree.

1) Wenger should not be sacked because well you wouldn't find anyone better and we lost 3 times against manure but still got second place and the fa cup (we didn't lose the fa we lost in the carling...get it right)

2)funny i think cambell was the best defender in the world 2 years ago he can't be that bad can he? or maybe cole is sh**te too? leahman bad? not excellent but hes a good keeper.

3) i disagree

Wenger14

Established Member
Think we are covered in defense although the entire team needs to start defending well as a team.

Will we ever sign one? Yes bt not sure when.

celestis

Arsenal-Mania Veteran

We need to find talent and develop it maybe we need a good defensive coach as well to advise on positoning and so forth.

Arsenal Quotes

We live a society where everybody knows everything and it looks like it is a shame to say I don’t know

Arsène Wenger

Latest posts

Top Bottom