• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Will We Ever Sign English Again

sabret00the

Established Member
it's such a sad/mad question to ask but outside of SWP i just can't see that this team will ever truly have much Briton about it, up until summer i thought it was down to the lack of quality but then you look at it and we've let some big (abiltiy over name) players slip. Namely the two i won't shut up about; Defoe and Carrick, both were willing to come to Arsenal as squad players and now they've gone to ****e hart lane. i think these two were the best chances we've had for English in Arsenal for a little while, if i'm honest i can't see us adding another for like five years.

Don't get me wrong i love the team in any form but it would be nice to know that our team was atleast a little representative of the country in which it calls home.

Sammer

Established Member
We have the two best english defenders. All the other great english players like Lampard, Rooney, Gerrard are just unaffordable.

sabret00the

Established Member
Rooney is far from great, and Lampard is only Good. but i mean even if we stop thinking about the high end obvious signings, when was the last time we signed any english youth?

TheGunner

niller said:
I think Wenger is afraid to do another "Jeffers".

Could be, but I think it is the case that we can not afford them. Apprantley I heard that we are after Ledley King.

I can not see us buying any forwards for a while now, as we have Van Persie, Reyes, Henry etc....Same as for our midfielders.

Jinn

Established Member
There's no English players good enough or available enough. Carrick would have been handy though.

sabret00the

Established Member
TheGunner said:
niller said:
I think Wenger is afraid to do another "Jeffers".

Could be, but I think it is the case that we can not afford them. Apprantley I heard that we are after Ledley King.

I can not see us buying any forwards for a while now, as we have Van Persie, Reyes, Henry etc....Same as for our midfielders.
apparently the jeffers thing was a board thing rather than a Wenger thing.

does that mean that Wenger's never signed an englishman bar campbell?

tbbosa

The Wright-Phillips brothers, please. I hear Bradley Phillips is even better than Shaun Wright phillips. Why not get both of them at 15m!

dsurg

Jinn said:
There's no English players good enough or available enough. Carrick would have been handy though.
Carrick could have been handy I do agree but truth be told I dont think he would start for Arsenal even if PV4 had left.

TheGunner

tbbosa said:
The Wright-Phillips brothers, please. I hear Bradely Phillips is even better than Shaun Wright phillips. Why not get both of them at 15m!

Shaun reckons that Bradley is a better finisher then himself.

Scarey hey!

sabret00the

Established Member
dsurg said:
Jinn said:
Carrick could have been handy I do agree but truth be told I dont think he would start for Arsenal even if PV4 had left.
he was always gonna be a squad player, he knew that and was happy with it.

solthegunner

Smith, hoyte, bentley are all u-21 players. Any english player$ that were about over the last 2 years and might have made it all went to chavski.

Wenger was under pressure to buy english players and bought two players that were over priced and ****.....its probably not the best introduction to the market.

Soler

Established Member
tbbosa said:
The Wright-Phillips brothers, please. I hear Bradely Phillips is even better than Shaun Wright phillips. Why not get both of them at 15m!

Two completely different players all together.

tbbosa

Mad Jens said:
tbbosa said:
The Wright-Phillips brothers, please. I hear Bradley Phillips is even better than Shaun Wright phillips. Why not get both of them at 15m!

So does that mean we do not need players who are different or what?... I though that would be good since they would not compete with each other?
I have not understood your point as usual....just like the so many other posts of yours!

Sol man

It Would be nice to have some english players but they are just too expensive. Why spend more money on a player becasue he is english when you could find a player just as good or better abroad at a cheaper price.

Soler

Established Member
tbbosa said:
Mad Jens said:
tbbosa said:

So does that mean we do not need players who are different or what?... I though that would be good since they would not compete with each other?

How can you say BWP (a larger, stronger, striker) is a better player than SWP (smaller, quicker, winger) when they are absolutely nothing a like? They play different different positions, have different attributes and bare no resemblance to each other playing wise. It's like saying a winger is a better player than a DM; they can't be compared whatsoever.

I have not understood your point as usual....just like the so many other posts of yours!

You toe a very fine line as it is, insulting a moderator's probably not the best thing you should do, oui?

sanyasi

You toe a very fine line as it is, insulting a moderator's probably not the best thing you should do, oui?

So just because you are moderator makes you above question? he made a statement about the quality of your postings which is quite justified, and jsut because you are a mod doesnt mean that you can flex your muscles around.
ever since you became a mod youve become a touch bigheaded methinks.
why dont you be a little nicer, like USArsenal or somebody like that? stop throwing your weight around for once

Guns and Arses

There are a few points that I can make:

1. We can say that there are already a number of English players in the Arsenal youth team; but
2. Many of them do not make it to the first team, namely Upson, Gray, Thomas, Bentley....
3. Jeffers
4. We're not that rich to afford players like Gerrard, Lampard or even Wright-Phillips

But I hope we can have King as Campbell's successor in the position. Bentley looks to be heading somewhere else next season, so is Pennant. I do think that Hoyte can make it, either in CB or RB.

Arsenal Quotes

I still have an interest in training and development, in the stages that make it possible for players first to acquire technique (between 7 and 12) and then to develop physically (between 12 and 16), then to deepen their mental resilience (between 17 and 19) and finally between 19 and 22 to acquire what is critical, like the roof of a house without which all the rest rots away: intelligence and motivation

Arsène Wenger: My Life in Red and White
Top Bottom