• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

William Saliba: Here to Stay ✍️

Who?

• Van Dijk

Votes: 31 10.8%
  • Saliba

Votes: 243 84.4%
  • Maguire

Votes: 14 4.9%

• Total voters

14Henry

Looking for receipts 👀
Needs to sign a new contract in summer. If that doesn't happened will have to be sold. Can't have his contract being run down.

Maybe

You're wrong, no?
Needs to sign a new contract in summer. If that doesn't happened will have to be sold. Can't have his contract being run down.
Yeah, and that is the main issue. Why would he sign a new contract with us, especially with Arteta still being the manager? I can only see him staying if we sack Arteta and a new guy can give him a promise he will be a starter

freeglennhelder2

Established Member

Player:Elneny
Yeah, and that is the main issue. Why would he sign a new contract with us, especially with Arteta still being the manager? I can only see him staying if we sack Arteta and a new guy can give him a promise he will be a starter
What manager in the history of football has promised a 20 year old with Salibas experience to be a guaranteed starter?

I doubt even prime Anelka moving from Arsenal to Real Madrid was promised a guaranteed start.

Bloodbather

Established Member

Feel like we have the potential to have an elite defense with the inclusion of Saliba in the team. Gabriel, Saliba and White is an excellent CB rotation going forward.

14Henry

Looking for receipts 👀
Have to see how things work out and if Artetas words can convince him.

It's been incredibly poorly handled from day 1. How a play on a 5 year contract can all off a sudden be in this situation that he either resigns or is sold before even kicking a ball.

OnlyOne

🎙️ Future Journalist
Trusted ⭐

Have to see how things work out and if Artetas words can convince him.

It's been incredibly poorly handled from day 1. How a play on a 5 year contract can all off a sudden be in this situation that he either resigns or is sold before even kicking a ball.

I don't think the situations that bad at all. If anything his value is at the highest it's been right now.

14Henry

Looking for receipts 👀
I don't think the situations that bad at all. If anything his value is at the highest it's been right now.
It is bad in the sense that we really have to renew his contract or sell him this summer.

Now if we have a top drawer young defender on our books to have to sell him is a shame. Especially when it would cost you more than we paid for him to find a similar player.

If he stays but doesn't renew then we are running the risk of either losing him for nothing or a fraction of the price.

Obviously it's not a life and death problem. But one that needs resolved effectively this summer.

OnlyOne

🎙️ Future Journalist
Trusted ⭐

It is bad in the sense that we really have to renew his contract or sell him this summer.

Now if we have a top drawer young defender on our books to have to sell him is a shame. Especially when it would cost you more than we paid for him to find a similar player.

If he stays but doesn't renew then we are running the risk of either losing him for nothing or a fraction of the price.

Obviously it's not a life and death problem. But one that needs resolved effectively this summer.

I don't think we do have to renew or sell. If Saliba comes back and says I don't want to play I want to join XYZ then yeah we do, but again I think we should be able to command a large fee.

He could come back and say he'd rather join XYZ but I'd be okay to stay at Arsenal however I am not signing a new contract. Then it might be a case of Arsenal showing he's valued and will develop here and then he may want to extend.

Obviously, if the club wants to cash in then now is the time. But if he doesn't sign this summer they may bank on him to sign a year after playing for the club.

A lot of if buts or maybes but I don't think we're in a bad scenario, however, this is Arsenal.

14Henry

Looking for receipts 👀
I don't think we do have to renew or sell. If Saliba comes back and says I don't want to play I want to join XYZ then yeah we do, but again I think we should be able to command a large fee.

He could come back and say he'd rather join XYZ but I'd be okay to stay at Arsenal however I am not signing a new contract. Then it might be a case of Arsenal showing he's valued and will develop here and then he may want to extend.

Obviously, if the club wants to cash in then now is the time. But if he doesn't sign this summer they may bank on him to sign a year after playing for the club.

A lot of if buts or maybes but I don't think we're in a bad scenario, however, this is Arsenal.
I wouldnt risk having Saliba having 1 year left on his contract. All he needs is a one year extension and an extra 20-30k a week. Suits Arsenal, suits Saliba as he gets more money and a proper show of confidence from the management.

We cannot have Saliba playing a blinder of a season, then sitting next summer with bigger teams in his ears and us getting a quarter of his value as we weren't proactive enough.

OnlyOne

🎙️ Future Journalist
Trusted ⭐

I wouldnt risk having Saliba having 1 year left on his contract. All he needs is a one year extension and an extra 20-30k a week. Suits Arsenal, suits Saliba as he gets more money and a proper show of confidence from the management.

We cannot have Saliba playing a blinder of a season, then sitting next summer with bigger teams in his ears and us getting a quarter of his value as we weren't proactive enough.

Yeah good point. Suppose the fee this summer should be far more than what we bought him for. I also hope the fact we wanted him to stay in the Prem on loan suggests he has a future with Arsenal.

I have my own theory on Saliba which is better kept of AM. Something I won’t share.

14Henry

Looking for receipts 👀
Yeah good point. Suppose the fee this summer should be far more than what we bought him for. I also hope the fact we wanted him to stay in the Prem on loan suggests he has a future with Arsenal.

I have my own theory on Saliba which is better kept of AM. Something I won’t share.
Yeah would have been great to see him in the PL but that was never going to happen for 1 big reason. Exposure. People saying look what he's doing here and Arteta said he wasn't ready.

I think while he may be worth more than we would get this summer teams know there has been an issue with Saliba here. If a move was to develop they would probably know Saliba was open to the move and that Arsenal are weak when it comes to transfers.

They buying club would say how can he be worth 50m when yous didn't even think he was good enough for your mediocre club.

I reckon if we sold in summer we'd maybe get the money back but nothing more. If he were a Liverpool or Chelsea player they'd probably get 50m. Think Chelsea got about 30m for Zouma. Liverpool got about 20m for Ings.

freeglennhelder2

Established Member

Player:Elneny

He took that video by accident mate.

Goonger

That's exactly what I would do, but maybe with a 2 years extension. A good way of acknowledging that his transition hasn't been as smooth as hoped, that we value him as an important member of the squad now, and a wee raise as an incentive to sign the new deal.

That's of course we believe Arteta & Edu that we see his long term future here.

scytheavatar

Established Member

Don't think you understand how football contracts work, us offering only one year is by itself a show of no confidence. If we are afraid of Saliba "playing a blinder of a season" then we should just let him have it in another club next season. Absolutely disgusting move from Arteta/Edu to hold Saliba's career hostage and not allow him to actually be a success.

14Henry

Looking for receipts 👀
Don't think you understand how football contracts work, us offering only one year is by itself a show of no confidence. If we are afraid of Saliba "playing a blinder of a season" then we should just let him have it in another club next season. Absolutely disgusting move from Arteta/Edu to hold Saliba's career hostage and not allow him to actually be a success.
Firstly I don't think offering him a 3 year extension with the 2 he has and that he would commit to a club that has mistreated him for 5 years is how football works either.

You give him a small extension to protect his value, he doesn't over commit therefore reasonably keeping his options semi open yet pockets extra money.

Taylor Gang Gunners

Say Yeh or You're Making The List
Trusted ⭐
Citeh have Laporte, Stones, Ake and Dias. Liverpool have Van Dijk, Matip, Gomez and Konate. Chelski have Rudiger, Christiensen, Thiago Silva and Chalobah.

I like Holding but the drop off in quality from White/Gabriel to him is too steep. We need Saliba to backup our first choice pairing and of course challenge for a starting position.

14Henry

Looking for receipts 👀
Citeh have Laporte, Stones, Ake and Dias. Liverpool have Van Dijk, Matip, Gomez and Konate. Chelski have Rudiger, Christiensen, Thiago Silva and Chalobah.

I like Holding but the drop off in quality from White/Gabriel to him is too steep. We need Saliba to backup our first choice pairing and of course challenge for a starting position.
You can keep players happy when they are at least playing 20-25 games a season. You can also keep them relatively happy at top team who are challenging.

You can't keep them happy playing 4 league cup games and a couple FA Cup games a season in a team that is mid table. Holding yes as he knows his role. But others is more complicated.

Taylor Gang Gunners

Say Yeh or You're Making The List
Trusted ⭐
You can keep players happy when they are at least playing 20-25 games a season. You can also keep them relatively happy at top team who are challenging.

You can't keep them happy playing 4 league cup games and a couple FA Cup games a season in a team that is mid table. Holding yes as he knows his role. But others is more complicated.

With better quality depth we’re likely to go deeper into cup competitions. It goes hand in hand. We could be looking at the likes of Saliba and ESR as cover, that’s a game changer.

Arsenal Quotes

When I am asked why I stayed at Arsenal so long.. my answer is simple; I never wanted to be anywhere else. I could have earned a lot more elsewhere, but that wouldn't compensate for all the good years at Highbury.

David O'Leary

Latest posts

Top Bottom