• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

William Saliba: Here to Stay ✍️

Who?

• Van Dijk

Votes: 31 10.8%
  • Saliba

Votes: 243 84.4%
  • Maguire

Votes: 14 4.9%

• Total voters

dka1

100% Dark Chocolate
Trusted ⭐

So the deal was 4+1 thought was 5+1 ffs Raul. that put us in bit more tricky situation need to find an agreement next 6 months.

Hmm you see I originally thought it was a 4 + 1, then in the summer some info came out (when Martinelli's contract was being discussed) and that info was saying no actually Saliba's contract is a 5 + 1 and I was a bit confused (as the info I'd read before that suggested otherwise) but honestly I was just happy that we had more time to negotiate.

Unfortunately it does actually look like it was only a 4 + 1 which really is a 3 + 1 given that he was loaned back to St. Etienne in his first season.

Anyway all that matters is signing him up, get the option sorted then we have to negotiate and try and get this extension wrapped up by the summer, we can't let this guy go; within reason pay him and promise him what he wants and get it done.

Yousif Arsenal

On Vinai's payroll & misses 4th place trophy 🏆
Trusted ⭐
The important seem he happy here but now the advantage in his side he know we desperately need him to stay so he can demand really good pay raise. We shouldn't have problems give him 100k or more his current salary according to most these poverty websites between 30k-40k.

drippin

Obsessed with "Mature Trusted Members"

The problem is the Fofana transfer to Chelsea. He seems to have made 200k per week 6 year deal.

Saliba's agent will be demanding similar. I hope Saliba wants to stay so something like 150k per week or big signing bonus might do it. If he is as wise as he seems, he will stay.

But that would also need to be 6 year deal. Otherwise the wages should be lower I think.

ArsenesCoatMaker

Established Member
The problem is the Fofana transfer to Chelsea. He seems to have made 200k per week 6 year deal.

Saliba's agent will be demanding similar. I hope Saliba wants to stay so something like 150k per week or big signing bonus might do it. If he is as wise as he seems, he will stay.

But that would also need to be 6 year deal. Otherwise the wages should be lower I think.

If Fofana is 200k no way you're signing up Saliba on less than that with 18 months to run on his deal. It will probably close to 300k

14Henry

Looking for receipts 👀

[/QUOTE]

It isn't a problem for anyone apart from Arsenal. The club, Arteta and Edu messed the lad about and were indecisive. The contract we will have to give him will be the consequence of that.

Bottom line with a year left to go and the likes of Real, City, Liverpool, PSG, Barcelona sniffing around we pay up its as simple as that. And if that's 200k then it's 200k. The alternative is sell him for 20-30m. Sign some other player half as good for 40m and offer them 120k a week. 0 logic in it.

Mrs Bergkamp

Double Dusted
Dusted 🔻
He looked sluggish physically and mentally. The WC did him no favours but his mentality and determination is unfailing but he needs to compose himself a bit more

Yousif Arsenal

On Vinai's payroll & misses 4th place trophy 🏆
Trusted ⭐
He looked sluggish physically and mentally. The WC did him no favours but his mentality and determination is unfailing but he needs to compose himself a bit more
Yes no football for month and half is alot training sessions aren't like the actual game. I'm not worried the guy will eventually get back just glad his mistakes not affected us

D

Deleted member 102404

Needs to refocus.
A lot of fans , those that hated Ben White mainly, overplayed his season last year. He started well in France but had a really bad dip in form like this year - something he himself commented on. Not worried though as he regained his form. Young with a very high ceiling potential wise. He will come through his rough patch. It’s to be expected from such a young player.
We were absolutely right to delay his PL career to this year.

DUFFMAN

Crybaby
Might humble him a bit and realise his future is here for the next few years.

And hopefully put off the vultures for a while at least.

dka1

100% Dark Chocolate
Trusted ⭐

Needs to refocus.
A lot of fans , those that hated Ben White mainly, overplayed his season last year.

Naa he was fantastic last season at Marseille despite some of the mistakes he made in a few games. There's no "overplaying" it.

As for his current drop in form, I'm not worried, nothing more to say.

D

Deleted member 102404

Naa he was fantastic last season at Marseille despite some of the mistakes he made in a few games. There's no "overplaying" it.

As for his current drop in form, I'm not worried, nothing more to say.
False
Saliba himself commented on his dip in from in early 2022 and talked about working hard to get better. He did, so that’s to his credit, but last season he was inconsistent, which is normal for a kid - especially a defender.

dka1

100% Dark Chocolate
Trusted ⭐

False
Saliba himself commented on his dip in from in early 2022 and talked about working hard to get better. He did, so that’s to his credit, but last season he was inconsistent, which is normal for a kid - especially a defender.

You're equating a "dip in form" to being inconsistent overall, and you talk as if you watched him, how many of his games start to finish did you watch last season? Because you're talking like you've read that one quote and you think you know about his entire loan.

I watched a lot of his games in the first half of the season and he did make mistakes that's true, as you'd expect of any defender (let alone one his age) but he wasn't inconsistent he was very good in most of his games.

And well then you have the 2nd half of the season but all of the reviews from France say he did well overall, key word being on overall, so I'm struggling to see how that translates to him being inconsistent.

Here's an excerpt from GFFN about Marseille's best players 21/22:

"Much was made about Saliba’s incredible talent and at 20 years of age, he was back at a third Ligue 1 club as Arsenal continued to find no place for him in their squad, despite a €30m transfer from Saint-Etienne in 2019. Saliba slotted into a Marseille back-line that looked creaky last season, with no stand-out performer from the likes of Duje Ćaleta-Car, Ávaro González and Leo Balerdi. That changed from day 1. The Bondy native belied his age with a string of impressive performances and almost viral-like defensive moments such as his last minute challenge on a runaway Kylian Mbappe during Le Classique. To say that this was the perfect loan would be an understatement, as Saliba imposed himself massively in challenging circumstances, earning a call-up to the France national team in the process. Will he be able to continue his journey at Marseille in the coming season?"

I definitely trust their word over yours especially because it was his performances in France that contributed to him getting a call up to the France squad at the time.

Arsenal Quotes

When I first came to Arsenal, I realised the back four were all university graduates in the art of defending. As for Tony Adams, I consider him to be a doctor of defence. He is simply outstanding.

Arsène Wenger

Daily Transfer Updates

Tuesday, May 28

Arsenal have been handed a boost as Sporting Lisbon have lowered their asking price for CB Ousmane Diomande from €80m to €60m [Record]

Sheffield Wednesday are keen on signing 21 year old striker Mika Biereth on loan [The Sheffield Star]

Arsenal hope to command a sizeable fee for Eddie Nketiah this summer [The Athletic]

Arsenal and AC Milan are interested in Monaco midfielder Youssouf Fofana [Gazzetta]

Thomas Partey’s preference is to stay at Arsenal, but no talks have taken place over a new contract with one year left and the club could consider offers this summer [Charles Watts]

Latest posts

Top Bottom