• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

wrong player signed from Seville

gstew

Like most others, I have been quite underwhelmed by Reyes and his performances. But it is obvious that he will be a Gunner for many years to come. Also, AW sees a lot in him. So why don't we give him a chance and support him through good and bad. If after a couple more years he hasn't progressed, then that will be a different story.

If things continue down this current path, it will be just as acceptable to abuse Reyes as it is to abuse Cygan. Once that point is reached, there will be no return and his reputation will be set in stone among supporters. That point of no return means that his best games will always come with a negative disclaimer and his worst games will be fuel for the fire. That would be unfair to everyone and would not be in the club's best interests (considering how much we have invested in him).

Unlike Cashley Cole, Reyes was tricked into momentary disloyalty. And he has made up for it since then. I think he deserves the loyalty and patience of the fans.

gstew

By the way, we can play the "wrong player signed" game and come up with much more egregious examples:

Do you think we signed the wrong kid from Everton? Jeffers or Rooney

Do you think we signed the wrong Cameroonian from Mallorca? Lauren or Eto'o

Kenyonhater

It's a stone cold certainty that those now slating Reyes were totally in love with him last August when he started the season on fire (that goal to make it 4-3 against Middlesbrough...) following on from his impressive cameos in the second half of the previous campaign (his first against Chelsea in the Cup...)

Yes, he had a relatively poor season after that. He had off-field problems with relationships and his close-knit family settling in England. He clearly found the winter climate hard to cope with. All these issues badly affected his form. Then there was the unfortunate flirtation with Real Madrid.

However, I'd be much more concerned if he'd never shown any real talent but that's just not the case. He was extremely highly-rated in Spain. He scared the living daylights out of both Real and Barca. Zidane was gobsmacked by his speed and close control. AW had him watched more than 50 times before he bought him. He has shown flashes of that talent here but has suffered from inconsistency of form and confidence.
Now he seems to have decided to give it a real go at Arsenal let's get behind him. Let's give him another chance. He has the talent to be sensational for us. Surely we shouldn't judge him on pre-season ffs. The real test will be the winter months this season. If his form is gone then, I'll hold my hands up.

1970*Gooner

Established Member

Player:Rice
Yam1118 said:
We should trust Wenger and Reyes!! Reyes has his own talents and potentials~~It only needs time to show~!Please trust Wenger! :?
As long as it doesn't take too much time for him to deliver the goods :wink:

arsenaal fan

"Give him time, he'll do well."
"Don't slag him off, let him settle"
"He'll come good, wait and watch."

This is all I've been hearing ever since we've bought him. Sure he is talented, but what people forget is that with time ANY player can become good! We didn't spend all that money to WAIT and watch. Ofcourse a player needs a certain length of time to settle, but Reyes has gotten much much more than what would have been required yet not performed consistently or lived up to the amount of expectations we had or performed to the level with which we had paid Seville for. He's just not good enough, it's that simple. Ofcourse Wenger's a great manager, but why can't people accept that Reyes was a mistake, and that too a huge one. Sick of hearing " He's got talent, just needs to settle". For ****s sake, every darned teenager in that case "has got the talent, just need to settle into the premiership and in a few years time will be playing well!"

USArsenal

H.Y.I.C.
lets not forget that Reyes keeps getting moved around from striker to winger, etc... if AW would let him play in one spot, he could learn the role faster... thus settle faster, thus play better, thus help the team more..

i think you are all WAY out in left field slagging off Reyes.. he works his ass off and was very good in the beginning and end of last season... its the middle part he has to work on...

A

Anonymous

Are we seeing the same player here? Okay, Reyes was not very consistent. But on his day, he is absolutely A+ terrificomundo! His pace 'on the ball' is unbelievable.

I remember his first game (I think) after the prank radio call, he was sensational! Only if he could peform on that level day in and day out - that would be great!

Let's see how things span out though. I kind of hope he plays on Sunday. Now that I think about it, Wenger is going to have to make some tough choices:

Keeper: Stick with Jens? Or go with S. American?

Defence: I think it's given: Lauren, Sendores, Toure, Cole

Midfield: (this is where it gets complicated):

Ljungberg, Cesc, Flamini, Gilberto, Pires, Hleb, Reyes, Pires, (one more signing?)

(mix and match the above - have fun!)

Fowards: Bergkamp, Henry, RvP, Reyes

I see completeness: EXCEPT FOR ONE VERY STRONG DEFEENSIVE MIDFIELD PLAYER (to replace Viera)

A

Anonymous

i say we give him a break, and give him more of a chance, once he breaks through, he'd be like an henry - he is younger than he looks and acts - remember this!

he's fine, wenger trusts him, and so do I

14teranga

I admit I am among those who are desperate to see him become the player he has the potential to be but I have faith on Wenger the stuff , the other players and himself to help achieve that just one step sooner rather than later.

Gunner4Eva

Established Member
Ian_Wright said:
Are we seeing the same player here? Okay, Reyes was not very consistent. But on his day, he is absolutely A+ terrificomundo! His pace 'on the ball' is unbelievable.

I remember his first game (I think) after the prank radio call, he was sensational! Only if he could peform on that level day in and day out - that would be great!

Let's see how things span out though. I kind of hope he plays on Sunday. Now that I think about it, Wenger is going to have to make some tough choices:

Keeper: Stick with Jens? Or go with S. American?

Defence: I think it's given: Lauren, Sendores, Toure, Cole

Midfield: (this is where it gets complicated):

Ljungberg, Cesc, Flamini, Gilberto, Pires, Hleb, Reyes, Pires, (one more signing?)

(mix and match the above - have fun!)

Fowards: Bergkamp, Henry, RvP, Reyes

I see completeness: EXCEPT FOR ONE VERY STRONG DEFEENSIVE MIDFIELD PLAYER (to replace Viera)

Vieira wasn't a defensive midfielder.

A

Anonymous

but he did have a defensive presence, that's what i meant, right now, we have no 'presence' in MF, and a Viera like figure would be great.

That's besides the point. We have Enough attacking players, we need a DMF - and a good one, someone well established (I don't think wenger would buy - to him the 'market' would be too saturated or some crap, or maybe the stars aren't oriented in their right position to buy right now?)

a DMF player would seal the deal.

the dawn raids

Established Member
if he'd just abandon the 'boot it downfield and run' tactic he'd adapt to playing Arsenal football much faster. he hasnt yet, but id like to think if hes just signed a new deal until 2011 or whatever then he will. if he can fine-tune his passing and decision making a bit more, our left side would be one of the best in Europe, assuming he stays on the wing.

14teranga

Midfield??? Not complicate to me add Bently and Quincy to that least.

so Ljundberg Gilberto Cesc Hleb
or Ljundberg Gilberto Cesc Pires
or Ljundberg Gilberto Cesc Reyes
or Ljundberg Giberto Cesc Qunincy
or Ljundberg Gilbeto Hleb Pires
or Ljundberg Gilberto Hleb Reyes
or Ljundberg Gilberto Hleb Quincy
or Ljundberg Flamini Cesc Hleb
or Ljundberg Flamini Cesc Pires
or Ljundberg Flamini Cesc Reyes
or Ljundberg Flamini Cesc Quincy
or Ljundberg Flamini Hleb Pires
or Ljundberg Flamini Hleb Reyes
or Ljundberg Flamini Hleb Quincy
or Quincy Gilberto Cesc Hleb
or Quincy Gilberto Cesc Pires
or Quincy Gilberto Cesc Reyes

or Bently Flamini Hleb Quincy
And you also can add Clichy and Cole both of them can play on the left wing.

Arsenal Quotes

An Arsenal fan, when you finish fourth, will say, “Hey, we’ve been in the top four for twenty years. We want to win the league!”. They don’t care that Manchester City or Chelsea have spent 300 or 400 million euros. They just want to beat them.
But if you finish fifteenth two years running, they will be happy if you finish fourth after that.

Arsène Wenger

Latest posts

Top Bottom