• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Xabi Alonso

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gooner_Stu

Established Member
The only reason i can think why he would be sold to anyone is for the cash they really need. Liverpools finances are much discussed and im sure its a 'sell to spend' policy in the Jan window. But if he was to be sold, i doubt Benitez will lower the price to anything below £16mil, maybe even higher now the pound is worse off to the Euro. And with Villa in 3rd and looking for Champions League football, will barry want to leave them for Pool? Its a drama plot worthy of Eastenders!!

kamikaze80

Established Member
nothing will happen with barry or alonso in january. if liverpool sell, it will be some of their **** purchases like that fullback that never plays. if benitez ever got his transfers right, they'd be a good team but he's always buying and selling and never has his squad settled.

InWengerWeTrust

Liverpool boss Rafa Benitez is ready to cash in on Xabi Alonso to land Aston Villa midfielder Gareth Barry.

The Mail on Sunday says with Aston Villa's hopes of playing in the Champions League next season virtually over, Barry is determined to get his dream move to Anfield this summer.

To help finance the deal, Benitez has done little to dissuade Italian giants Juventus from pursuing their interest in Alonso. Alonso has been in outstanding form this season but his personal relationship with Benitez remains strained.

"Alonso was not on the market last summer but Juventus came to us, so we had to talk," said Benitez.

"I think it will be the same situation this year. I don't want to sell him but when there is a window you have to talk to see what price is being considered."

<a class="postlink" href="http://www.mailonsunday.co.uk/sport/football/article-1176790/Barry-8217-s-Liverpool-Benitez-offload-Alonso.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.mailonsunday.co.uk/sport/foo ... lonso.html</a>

Back in for him this summer then?

TomasCR

Established Member
It would be great but we have to think up something as he would be crazy to go to Arsenal.

These stars don´t drink much, they´re not used to it. How about if some of us invite him to a nice pub, order a couple of strong drinks and when he´s soused, push the deal under, give him a pen and say "Sign it or I´ll not call you a taxi" or something. Thought it could work.

truth_hurts

but Holding’s hair transplant was painless
If Benitez is foolish enough to even think of selling Alonso this summer we should pay whatever it takes to bring him here. Brilliant player, erfect for our playing style, wouldn't take anytime to adapt and would link up brilliantly with our attacking options. I'd be more thn happy to lose a fewsquad playersto Finance this move.

Fail to believe Benitez would be foolish enough to sell though.

truth_hurts

Clrnc said:
Imagine if we had him this season...

Would be great, but his signing may have meant we didn't sign Arshavin.......... Alonso is defintely the calibre of player we require, but with Denilson, Ramsey, Song an Diaby all vying for a place next to Cesc/Nasri unfortunately can't see this transfer or any similar transfer happening as sad as that is.

Zico

Established Member
If he's available for less than 20 million, buy this guy and move to a 4 3 3. It's really as simple as that.

Clrnc

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

Player:Tomiyasu
He really would be a good signing for us. After the season he has had with Liverpool, I still can't believe some of the people here is not rating him

Unforgiven

Established Member
What he has done for Liverpool is he has been able to push up and help them get the 3 points against defensive teams. We need a DM who can have an effect on goal which song or Denilson do not have all. Would be the best signing for us in my opinion.

ricky1985

Established Member
It's Myles palmer, so take it how you want to take it.

Xabi Alonso was at Arsenal but deal fell apart over £200,000

By Myles Palmer

Xabi Alonso was at the ground.

Xabi Alonso, one of the finest midfield players in the world, was at the ground !

He was at the Emirates and the deal fell apart over £200,000.

Xabi Alonso didn't sign for Arsenal, so Gareth Barry didn't sign for Liverpool.

That is the same old small-time Arsenal.That is the Highbury Arsenal. That is the little old traditional club that could have signed Denis Law but sent the assistant manager to Huddersfield to meet Law, who then went to Manchester City.

That is the Arsenal that let Martin Keown leave because he wanted a £50-a-week pay rise and George Graham would not give it to him till he'd seen him play.

In 1987 Graham thought he had signed John Barnes, a London boy who didn't want to go north because he was very fearful of racism. But Liverpool offered him £200 a week more.

Xabi Alonso could have joined his friend Cesc Fabregas and given stability to Arsenal's midfield.

He could have anchored midfield, a man with huge experience, superb long passes, two good feet, a terrific shot, speaks good English, knows the EPL and the CL inside out.

But the deal collapsed over a lousy £200,000.

How pathetic is that? Maybe that tells you that Wenger didn't want it to happen. Because Alonso's arrival would have "killed" Song and Denilson, his proteges.

He lost Gilberto and Flamini, so he really needed Xabi Alonso. But he didn't sign him.

If new CEO Ivan Gazidis had been there in August 2008, Xabi Alonso would have signed and Arsenal would have had a different season.

Of course transfers can be complicated. Stories vary on that deal. It's hard to say exactly what happened. One version says that Rafa was told Gareth Barry was a done deal. Then he was told the Americans thought Barry was too expensive and bought Robbie Keane instead, so Rafa then phoned Xabi at Arsenal and said, "Stall that deal, keep stalling, I must speak to you."

Xabi stayed and Rafa sold Keane back to Sp**s in January.

Klaus Daimler

Established Member
No, I reckon this is true. Definitely. We lost out on a player we wanted because we didn't fancy paying £200K more for his signature. It all makes sense now. Thanks Myles.

SPF103

I do agree with one thing he says though:

"If new CEO Ivan Gazidis had been there in August 2008, Xabi Alonso would have signed and Arsenal would have had a different season."

Gazidis, along with Kroenke/Usmanov, is definitely going to push Wenger into buying players this summer IMO. In the past where Wenger was the main man leading negotiations, the Arshavin deal would have broken down due to the wage disagreements. I'm relatively confident that we'll be able to get some new blood into the team to give us an extra push next season.

truth_hurts

progman07 said:
Xabi Alonso... some claim Denilson is as good as him. :lol:

haha! remember when that statementwa made! definately one of the funnier points of view on here. Think some of the posters on here have more faith in Denilson (and others) than Wenger and the player himself!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arsenal Quotes

I cannot classify the moments of happiness and of sadness, but every defeat is a scar in your heart that you never forget.

Arsène Wenger

Latest posts

Top Bottom