• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Yohan Cabaye

• Thread starter KY
  • Start date
  • Replies 1,056
  • Views 151,752

elber82

Exactly my point, if we make money back and we paid **** all to begin with it's hardly a Soldado level flop is it?

Including Baptista alone should be bannable ffs.
You're both missing the point. Gdeep went on like Wenger is some super scout transfer genius.

I was simply reminding him of the mess he's made of the recent transfer windows and the long list of flops he's brought to the club. Whether we recouped some of our money back on most of them doesn't change the fact that Wenger thought it was a good idea to sign them in the first place. Only for them to end up being either underwhelming or downright disastrous.

elber82

Exactly my point, if we make money back and we paid **** all to begin with it's hardly a Soldado level flop is it?

Including Baptista alone should be bannable ffs.
Maybe you were too young to remember but if Baptista's loan spell was as good as you recall then why did we pass on the opportunity to make the transfer permanent?

3 goals in 24 league games says a lot.

Anzac

Established Member
Back on topic.

Cabaye for 10m is a bargain regardless of his age,
but for mind he'll go to a club where he'll get guaranteed playing time as a starter - LFC, Spuds, Saints if they sell Schneiderlin, City if the sell Yaya and don't land Wilshere, ManU even to replace Carrick.

I'd rather have Cabaye than Schneiderlin,
and I'd rather Gundogan for 16m than either.

Worst case scenario I'd rather see Rambo & Wilshere cover the DLP role when we play a high D line with Coquelin as ball winner pressing high.

Godwin1

Very well-known
I don't agree with you there Anzac, Coquelin has put the DLP experiment into permanent retirement I would hope. We need someone similar to him not Arteta.

Rex Stone

Long live the fighters
Trusted ⭐

Back on topic.

Cabaye for 10m is a bargain regardless of his age,
but for mind he'll go to a club where he'll get guaranteed playing time as a starter - LFC, Spuds, Saints if they sell Schneiderlin, City if the sell Yaya and don't land Wilshere, ManU even to replace Carrick.

I'd rather have Cabaye than Schneiderlin,
and I'd rather Gundogan for 16m than either.

Worst case scenario I'd rather see Rambo & Wilshere cover the DLP role when we play a high D line with Coquelin as ball winner pressing high.

Wenger won't buy him I reckon. He said in his presser the other day he doesn't want any more 29 to 30 year old players.

So you'd have Coquelin pressing from the front? Seems a bit odd to me as he can't really do as much as Ramsey or Jack with the ball.

This is Liverpool/Tottenham level of signing. Is he better than Coquelin, Wilshere, Ramsey or Özil?

You sign to push those guys. We can sign 30 million players now.

ArsenesNO1Fan

Established Member
This is Liverpool/Tottenham level of signing. Is he better than Coquelin, Wilshere, Ramsey or Özil?

You sign to push those guys. We can sign 30 million players now.

In the PL for Newcastle I think he's been better than Wilshere and Ramsey usually have been this season, yes. Ramsey was better last season.

Anzac

Established Member
I don't agree with you there Anzac, Coquelin has put the DLP experiment into permanent retirement I would hope. We need someone similar to him not Arteta.

Rather than the DLP IMO Coquelin has shown what has
been missing = a role to win possession when we don't have the ball. That role doesn't have to be the deepest in an exclusively defensive capacity.
In keeping with AW's want to play in the opposition half and play a dynamic attacking style (and his stubborn resistance at having any such role since Flamini's departure in 2008), then I can see AW playing with a DLP to add an extra creative dynamic as seen from Arteta, with Coquelin as ball winner in midfield (rather than DM), and a B2B role with Özil as a wide playmaker as seen with Mata at ManU.

Aw has said before that a pure DM is redundant in a high D line to compress the space between the lines. We needed a DM type this year because of the deeper D line with BFG. However we now had Gabriel, and with Coquelin as DM we have been looking to play higher again.

Anzac

Established Member
Wenger won't buy him I reckon. He said in his presser the other day he doesn't want any more 29 to 30 year old players.

So you'd have Coquelin pressing from the front? Seems a bit odd to me as he can't really do as much as Ramsey or Jack with the ball.

His role would be as ball winner = support the ball carrier and win the ball back in the opposition half & lay it off to the ball players/B2B.
IMO our vulnerability on the counter would be minimised.

redanddread

The stone that the builders refuse
Reports linking him with signing for Pardew at Palace. **** me if Palace can be signing them type of players then you know the league's going to be a tough place again next season. Always though he'd do a job at Arsenal but maybe not lift us to that next level. Great signing for Palace (now one of the richest 40 clubs in world football) if they get him.

shedward92

Cabaye is a good player, would have probably wanted him pre Özil and pre Ramsey coming good. Think he's exactly the kind of player we don't need right now though.

senna

i'd be in favour of signing him as long as it doesn't take up too much of our budget (say £10m). Could play instead of Coq as a DM with a better passing range or alongside him in tougher games instead of cazorla. Good set pieces & knows the league.

redwhiteAustrian

Tu Felix Austria
Administrator
We have Arteta and Flamini, whose combined age is beyond 60, so I don't think we should bring in another player who's on the wrong side of 25 years of age.

If we got rid off one of these two, then I'd consider Cabaye because he's shown that he's PL material.

Penn_

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
When did he say that about older players? Don't recall hearing that.

At 10M, it'd be a good buy. It just depends on how much Wenger feels Coq can improve.

Won't be the glamour signing everyone wants but I don't think we need that at the moment.

Arsenal Quotes

It was a unique moment, a football fairytale. Was there anyone left who still believed I could give that kind of performance? Probably only Arsène Wenger.

Per Mertesacker on Arsenal’s FA Cup Final win over Chelsea on 2017 being his only appearance that season
Top Bottom