• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Yohann Pelé

• Thread starter Anonymous
  • Start date
  • Replies 204
  • Views 9,085

Artillero

arsenal_hleb said:
what about the argentine keeper ustari? many of us seems to have forgotten about him. imo, most football match is prettty much the same. it won't be of much difference if a keeper have CL expereiences or not. out of 4 i would pick

akinfeev, gordon, pele, ustari

Were rumours that Barca agreed a deal for him

kooldawg

Established Member
i haven't seen pele in action, but Craig Gordon seems to me to be one of the best young keepers out there, i'm sort of hoping that Wenger decides to get craig Gordon instead of pele..

But then again you cant really predict anything with Wenger, this whole Pele link might be a smokescreen for a secret move for Gordon or its just that, a move for Pele before other clubs move in.

So whoever Wenger does deciude to bring in, i hope he's good :p

Meatwad

Craig Gordon made the kind of error against Celtic last week that the 18 year old Mannone made when he was out on loan.

Asterix

Established Member
arsenal_hleb said:
what about the argentine keeper ustari? many of us seems to have forgotten about him. imo, most football match is prettty much the same. it won't be of much difference if a keeper have CL expereiences or not. out of 4 i would pick

I have to disagree quite strongly a_h. The thing about top keepers is their power of concentration - their mental abilities. Anyone can pull off a blinder or two, particularly when you're being peppered with shots all night. But the thing that makes a top keeper stand out is their mental ability. Take jens at home against CSKA. He saved us a point by doing one thing, and one thing only, all night. he stood there watching us miss chance after chance, and when he was called upon, at a crucial moment in a big game, he delivered. His previous experience in the CL undoubtedly helped.

Wenger has, I suspect, always harboured resentment against Richard Wright for letting in a soft goal away to Deportivo a few years back now. (to be fair, wenger never really wanted Wright anyway - Dein signed him I believe - Wenger wanted Dudek)

Having said all that, a keeper has to have his first CL game, just like everyone else. So if Wenger does go for Pele then maybe he's just seen, through his extensive scouting, that the lad has the qualities he's looking for.

Don Pacifico

Established Member
Asterix said:
arsenal_hleb said:

I have to disagree quite strongly a_h. The thing about top keepers is their power of concentration - their mental abilities. Anyone can pull off a blinder or two, particularly when you're being peppered with shots all night. But the thing that makes a top keeper stand out is their mental ability. Take jens at home against CSKA. He saved us a point by doing one thing, and one thing only, all night. he stood there watching us miss chance after chance, and when he was called upon, at a crucial moment in a big game, he delivered. His previous experience in the CL undoubtedly helped.

Wenger has, I suspect, always harboured resentment against Richard Wright for letting in a soft goal away to Deportivo a few years back now. (to be fair, wenger never really wanted Wright anyway - Dein signed him I believe - Wenger wanted Dudek)

Having said all that, a keeper has to have his first CL game, just like everyone else. So if Wenger does go for Pele then maybe he's just seen, through his extensive scouting, that the lad has the qualities he's looking for.

Totally agree with what you have said there Asterix, didn't realise the back room shenanigans that went on over Wright (and Dudek) as this all happened in the days before I used the internet regularly. Out of interest where did you read that? May be worth pointing out that for all Dudek's obvious talent, he has made some big howlers as well and never reached the peak he achieved in his first season at Pool.

Asterix

Established Member
Indeed. Can't remember where I read that exactly - the Internet's a big bad place! But I definitely remember reading a few articles along those lines around teh time we sold Wright to Everton.

Clrnc

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

Player:Tomiyasu
Asterix said:
arsenal_hleb said:

i understand what you are talking about. but if given this scenario, a very good keeper who have played in WC and many of other leagues but no CL experience, with a keeper who have only played in one league and CL experience, will that make the latter better? in my opinion, CL matches and other big matches are of no difference to the keepers. as long as they have enough experiences, it will be fine. how different can it be for strikers to shoot in CL and epl? for players it would be much different, but for keepers i beg to differ.

btw, lucky wenger didnt sign that fumbling dudek

Canuck

Established Member
CL experience is certainly an asset, but not a requirement. Every top league keeper has played in high pressure matches. It's not something that only happens in the Champs League. There's domestic cups, there's table top clashes, relegation clashes, local derbies...etc.

gstew

Don Pacifico said:
siddharth said:
Don Pacifico said:
When have we ever actually been linked with Akinfeev or is this just the work of fantasists like the Ribery fan club on this forum? I swear every thread Ribery is mentioned...

Does that mean we are allowed to talk about players only linked with arsenal ? We are talking about replacing lehmann here and everyone is entitled to suggest who he thinks would come close to that and akinfeev is just one of those keepers who we should consider when making a decision.

I just think people talk abouit players they would like to replace Lehmann, rather than players that have a strong chance of replacing him. If you want Akinfeev, there's a wish list thread otherwise every thread in this section of the forum turns into unsubstantiated speculation. Anyways, I was actually wondering if we have in fact been linked with the bloke considering everyone talks about him so much.
I have never seen us linked with Akinfeev, but tend to suggest him whenever I see a goalie thread in Transfer Rumors. So I am one of the culprits.
I guess I just live in this fantasy world where I cause a popular groundswell of support for a player and then Wenger chooses to buy that player to make me/us happy. Luckily this world does not exist (though if it did we would have bought Eto'o and Joe Cole before Barca & Chelsea did.......but also Kewell and Kluivert before Pool and Newcastle...ugh!!).

Asterix

Established Member
Heh - reminds me of the Hildebrand uproar we had here about 15 months ago.

Think Ribery threads, but not quite as bad.

Clrnc

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

Player:Tomiyasu
another "phew" we didnt sign hildebrand. i rate him as a keeper but lehmann was a super signing than the others

tactica442

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
Just managed to watch Le Man's game against Lyon. I was quire impressed with Pele's reflex. His reaction to dive is quite quick considering his height. Yet somehow his handling of some easy balls was not convincing. I know usually keeper's gloves have very good grip on the synthetic surface of ball, so how could Pele be unable to grab the ball tightly? Pele looked very vocal in organising the line of Le Man's back four.

Mostarac

Established Member
tactica442 said:
Just managed to watch Le Man's game against Lyon. I was quire impressed with Pele's reflex. His reaction to dive is quite quick considering his height. Yet somehow his handling of some easy balls was not convincing. I know usually keeper's gloves have very good grip on the synthetic surface of ball, so how could Pele be unable to grab the ball tightly? Pele looked very vocal in organising the line of Le Man's back four.

I saw that match too, and he had one great save I must say. The other one was a typical "TV-save", which means that it looked more spectacular than it was(and the shot itself came just about straight at him). Do not know if he is good enough for us though, have not seen enough of him to know that to be honest.

M+D

Established Member
The Pele rumours have started up in France again. He was told last summer that he could leave in a year, and so now he's been told that he can leave. Despite signing Fabianski it is reported that it is a race between us and Marseille for his signature.

longrufus

Established Member
Wouldnt be beyond the realms of possibility. Almunia could be on his way out leaving us with Lehmann as no.1 and 2 young GK's fighting for the no.2 spot and the chance to play as no.1 next season. He wouldnt cost more than a few million. Could be a good idea.

Nutsy

Established Member
I really dont see the point though. We've already confirmed the deal with fabianski, I highly doubt we'll be interested with this guy. I rate Pele.

Odd with these rumours isn't it..We signed players we never even heard or discussed here at Arsenal Mania. And always that's the DONE deal.

>YounGunner<

Established Member
longrufus said:
Wouldnt be beyond the realms of possibility. Almunia could be on his way out leaving us with Lehmann as no.1 and 2 young GK's fighting for the no.2 spot and the chance to play as no.1 next season. He wouldnt cost more than a few million. Could be a good idea.

We could just bring a reserve keeper to that third spot.

Do we really need to sign another keeper? and I'm sure Pele would not accept third choice.

longrufus

Established Member
Thats not what i said though was it.

Fabianski looks to have settled for third place as he is behind Almunia in the pecking order. Meaning if Almunia left Pele would fill in the no.2 slot.

Thats besides the point. Players tend to back themselves, and if Pele was brought in with the chance to win the no.1 spot at Arsenal in a years time when Jens leaves. Im sure he'd jump at the chance.

Arsenal Quotes

My first ever football memory was Charlie George's double winning goal in 71. After that game; I just became an Arsenal fan.

Paul Davis
Top Bottom