• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Yohann Pelé

• Thread starter Anonymous
  • Start date
  • Replies 204
  • Views 9,087

>YounGunner<

Established Member
longrufus said:
Thats not what i said though was it.

Fabianski looks to have settled for third place as he is behind Almunia in the pecking order. Meaning if Almunia left Pele would fill in the no.2 slot.

Thats besides the point. Players tend to back themselves, and if Pele was brought in with the chance to win the no.1 spot at Arsenal in a years time when Jens leaves. Im sure he'd jump at the chance.

Third? I dont think so mate. Fabianski is the long term replacement for Jens. He will be behind Lehman.

Almunia will probably drop to third and leave.

longrufus

Established Member
Are you serious? You really think Fabianski will automatically replace Almunia?

If Almunia leaves we will need another GK. Considering Poom looks like he is leaving.

And its a null argument saying 2 GK's is enough, when Wenger went out and purposly brought Poom to play as 3rd choice.

Rohit

Established Member
I agree with Longrufus, mainly because i am a bit sceptical about Lehmann next season. Wenger obviously knows best, but he did so with Seaman too and it did cost us points and Pele is as good as, if not a better option than Almunia.

If Lehmann is not upto the mark next season, i'd want Wenger to be ruthless and give him the chop like he did in 04/05 for a few games. Fabianski won't be ready and Pele would be a very good option.

longrufus

Established Member
See point above, Wenger realises you need 3 able keepers, yet in your scenario we only have 2. If Almunia and Poom leave, another keeper will come in.

qs

Established Member
Rohit said:
I agree with Longrufus, mainly because i am a bit sceptical about Lehmann next season. Wenger obviously knows best, but he did so with Seaman too and it did cost us points and Pele is as good as, if not a better option than Almunia.

If Lehmann is not upto the mark next season, i'd want Wenger to be ruthless and give him the chop like he did in 04/05 for a few games. Fabianski won't be ready and Pele would be a very good option.

Lehmann has one season left at most IMO and Almunia has never been good enough. I think someone like Pele as well as Fabianski makes sense. It would leave us with a good young keeper like Pele who would be pushing Lehmann all this season and Fabianski would be in the background developing waiting to challenge Pele once Lehmann leaves. Makes perfect sense.

longrufus

Established Member
Ideal scenario from my point of view. Gives both time to settle in, and it develops a bit of healthy competition, something that seems to have gone at Arsenal.

>YounGunner<

Established Member
longrufus said:
See point above, Wenger realises you need 3 able keepers, yet in your scenario we only have 2. If Almunia and Poom leave, another keeper will come in.

Probably some unknown goalkeeper from Latvia.

It wont be Pele thats for sure.

By the way my main argument is that Fabianski will be higher then Almunia. Easily.

Clrnc

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

Player:Tomiyasu
yeah thats true. fabianski will auto be 2nd ahead of almunia, and easily

Rohit

Established Member
arsenal_hleb said:

What is that based on seriously?

How much of Fabianski have you watched other than the odd youtube compilation to draw a comparison with Almunia?

Nutsy

Established Member
Basing on what exactly?

Fabianski's only proven in the Polish league, a whole different league than the premiership. How do you know that he can replace ALmunia that easy? Have you seen him play? Youtube doesn't really count for actual trust now is there?

Almunia will have the 2nd choice still if you ask me, in logic sense if Wenger thinks Fabianski's better than Almunia, he would've let Almunia go instead of Poom to be honest. I haven't seen him play on the actual games, so I can't make a proper opinion. but He is only 22, he's there for the future perhaps, because let's face it, Mad Jens ain't getting any younger and Almunia will leave before he finishes his career.

So which is it? In a sense I doubt Wenger will sign Pele for now, maybe after next season when Mad Jens actually leave.

Nutsy

Established Member
Rohit said:
arsenal_hleb said:

How much of Fabianski have you watched other than the odd youtube compilation to draw a comparison with Almunia?

Blast Rohit, you beat me to it. ;)

Rohit

Established Member
Gunners_Nadz said:
Rohit said:
arsenal_hleb said:

Blast Rohit, you beat me to it. ;)

Revenge is sweet, you've beaten me to many match threads :lol: and then i finally gave up ;)

Clrnc

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

Player:Tomiyasu
lol. i based on nothing you are right.

not that i never watch fabianski before though, but not enough. i watched just 1 of his national match and 1 of his league match, and a few clips like you have said.

but my feeling is that if wenger feels almunia is ready to step up and wants to give him a chance, he would not sign a young keeper but a old keeper like that time he signed poom. if almunia is ready to step up, he is 29 and will be able to play at the top level for a long time before we need a new keeper to replace him.

wenger bought fabianski as a understudy and fought many clubs to get his signature, i presume in the promise that after a season of 2nd choice keeper, he would be promoted after lehmann left. he would not be happy with 2nd fiddle until almunia, who you guys claim will be number 2, step down.

my logic, my own personal feelings and opinions about the situation, not based on anything. but its true that i see fabianski a better keeper than almunia, who i have absolutely no confidence in.

tactica442

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
Funny to see the previous links to Pele now look like smokescreen. Wenger obviously had many targets and he managed to sign Fabianski for just 2M. I can't help wondering what the price would be for Pele's signature, especially when it's Arsenal bid for the player.

Nutsy

Established Member
Rohit said:
Revenge is sweet, you've beaten me to many match threads :lol: and then i finally gave up ;)

Ooh! Someone's been holding grudges against me! Like it or not I'm the official match thread starter, you start any of the match threads without my consent, I'll shove your thread to the dump. :twisted: As what Kel did when someone invaded his Player ratings turf. heh heh

Nah.. I'm kidding..

then again not really :D

jackycreegs

Rohit said:
arsenal_hleb said:

I too would be surprised if Fabianski isn't second choice.

I base this mainly on my belief that Almunia is definitely not good enough to be our first choice keeper and my hope that Wenger thinks this too and has bought in someone who he believes to be better.

But also, I wouldn't have thought that such a highly regarded keeper - who's been playing regular first team football and is in his national squad - would move anywhere where he wasn't likely to get first team football before long.

Nutsy

Established Member
Thing is, would be difficult

Last season, Almunia has stepped up even after the blooody bluder he did the CLs Season in '05/06. Last season, although in cup games, Almunia is arguably was at his best even surpassing Mad Jens' current form. Which I think would give a different view in Wenger's side.

Yes, Fabianski is proven, but must remember, only in the Polish league. But I suppose if you consider his international debut he is impressive, but his handlings a bit poor, but nothing big of an issue that can be solved easily.

I suppose if you compare him to Pele in International career prospect, Pele has yet to make his international debut and only proven in the French Ligue. Simply put, buying a keeper who has experienced in one league and expects him to go up as a second choice keeper above a keeper who proved ( even though it's a small bit ) in some games in the Premiership in pecking order is out of line to be honest..

I have said previously that Fabiaski should replace Almunia, but seeing that Poom's the one who's actually leaving puts me in a different perspective to be honest

jackycreegs

It's not "out of line" for a manager to replace one player with another player who he thinks is better than him. That's just the way it goes.

I have never seen Fabianski (or Pele) play, I just hope that he's a fair bit better than Almunia and will be second choice because Jens is fading and I really don't think Almunia's up to it.

If Fabianski plays in the cups next year then he'll hopefully prove that he's up to the task, the team and him can get used to each other and he can then replace Mad Jens the following season (or perhaps even sooner if he makes a great impression). That is what I'm hoping will happen.

Maybe Manuel will find another Premiership team to play regularly for and claim that England No. 1 jersey that is rightfully his...

Arsenal Quotes

It was a unique moment, a football fairytale. Was there anyone left who still believed I could give that kind of performance? Probably only Arsène Wenger.

Per Mertesacker on Arsenal’s FA Cup Final win over Chelsea on 2017 being his only appearance that season
Top Bottom