• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Petr Cech: Retiring at the end of the season

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jury

A-M's drunk uncle
If you're a defender and you know that your keeper is sh*te and is either going to:
A) Stand still and not attempt to get to the ball when he should do.
B) Come out to try and punch it but miss.
C) Completely flap at it then f*ck everything up.

Then as a defender I'd be taking things into my own hands to ensure the ball gets cleared (which causes it's own problems IMO).

But to go back to your point, it's the defences job to make sure that the opposition don't get any shots on goal, regardless of how sh*t the keeper is :lol:
If you try and do the keepers job, then you're failing at your own. Getting nervous to the point of abandoning your primary job is no good to anyone. You do your job and you let the keeper do his. If he fails, that's his fault. Trying to do his job is detrimental to you both. It's hardly going to give the keeper confidence. Also, you just don't see this happen anyway. Managers remove keepers if they think it alters the way individuals defend. That's what happens in real world.

Reactions: Jae

Jae

If you try and do the keepers job, then you're failing at your own. Getting nervous to the point of abandoning your primary job is no good to anyone. You do your job and you let the keeper do his. If he fails, that's his fault. Trying to do his job is detrimental to you both. It's hardly going to give the keeper confidence. Also, you just don't see this happen anyway. Managers remove keepers if they think it alters the way individuals defend. That's what happens in real world.

Probably why we're so poor at defending set pieces mate! Bunch of headless chickens :lol:

Taylor Gang Gunners

Say Yeh or You're Making The List
Trusted ⭐
A dodgy keeper definitely makes his defence nervous. Imagine how on edge you’d be defending, knowing your keeper couldn’t save a word document.

It’s like you’ve gotta do everything perfect because you know your keeper can’t bail you out. That adds ridiculous pressure.

Chris Smalling is capable of comical performances, but he can still step on the pitch with confidence knowing he has the best ‘keeper around to help him.

Cech is finished. If you think he’s had a decent season, may I recommend tennis.

bojed

AM Resident Joker #1
I've played both as a keeper and as a defender before and I've to admit, I'm way more nervous playing behind sh*t defenders rather than playing infront of a sh*t keeper. All sorts of comical goals can be conceded from a sh*t defense.

That still doesn't take the fact that Cech is definitely finished at this level though.

Camron

Photoshop King
Trusted ⭐

Player:Martinelli
Hopefully this clean sheet thing was the thing causing him to be so insecure and sloppy and he can relax more in goal.

Malky

Established Member
He actually saved a penalty!?! :bounce:

victor-meldrew-meme-1443798651-view-0.png

Jury

A-M's drunk uncle
A dodgy keeper definitely makes his defence nervous. Imagine how on edge you’d be defending, knowing your keeper couldn’t save a word document.

It’s like you’ve gotta do everything perfect because you know your keeper can’t bail you out. That adds ridiculous pressure.
:lol: Yeah, because when you have great confidence in your keeper you can afford to be half-arsed... The logic here is beyond nonsense lad! It's just not reality. Can't believe you actually submitted that.

Have to do what perfectly? Make sure they get a really good contact on a clearance header as opposed to a preferred scuffed one? Make sure that back pass really does reach Cech as opposed to leaving it a bit short for the lolz? Or maybe decide to time that last ditch tackle perfectly for a change, like, as opposed to sliding in and giving the strikers leg a nice sensual lick down his calf before watching him gallop clear on goal?

Taylor Gang Gunners

Say Yeh or You're Making The List
Trusted ⭐
:lol: Yeah, because when you have great confidence in your keeper you can afford to be half-arsed... The logic here is beyond nonsense lad! It's just not reality. Can't believe you actually submitted that.

Have to do what perfectly? Make sure they get a really good contact on a clearance header as opposed to a preferred scuffed one? Make sure that back pass really does reach Cech as opposed to leaving it a bit short for the lolz? Or maybe decide to time that last ditch tackle perfectly for a change, like, as opposed to sliding in and giving the strikers leg a nice sensual lick down his calf before watching him gallop clear on goal?

Jesus Christ.

Who said anything about being half arsed? These are professionals. Obviously they’re gonna play to the best of their ability on the football pitch. Not intentionally **** up.

All I’m saying is, the knowledge of having a top class goalkeeper gives defenders confidence. They know if they do make a mistake, there’s every chance it could go unpunished as they have a keeper who’s capable of bailing them out. That’s not some ticket to perform poorly, it’s just.. how it is :lol:.

As a defender, you’re naturally gonna take to the field with more confidence knowing your last line of defence is a brilliant one. Which part of that is nonsense?

I’m pleased my mind doesn’t work the same way yours does. I’d drive myself mad.

Jury

A-M's drunk uncle
Jesus Christ.

Who said anything about being half arsed? These are professionals. Obviously they’re gonna play to the best of their ability on the football pitch. Not intentionally **** up.

All I’m saying is, the knowledge of having a top class goalkeeper gives defenders confidence. They know if they do make a mistake, there’s every chance it could go unpunished as they have a keeper who’s capable of bailing them out. That’s not some ticket to perform poorly, it’s just.. how it is :lol:.

As a defender, you’re naturally gonna take to the field with more confidence knowing your last line of defence is a brilliant one. Which part of that is nonsense?

I’m pleased my mind doesn’t work the same way yours does. I’d drive myself mad.
Bit of a backtrack from you here lad...

Of course having competent teammates gives you more confidence in getting a result. What you said clearly implied that having a great keeper behind them meant they didn’t have to concentrate as hard, or didn’t have to ‘make sure they get everything perfect’. Come on lad. :lol:

Now you’re saying that all they should make sure they do is play to the best of their ability, which is all I’m saying.

razörist

Soft With The Ladies, Hard With The Mes

What a way to get your 200th clean sheet, by saving a pen! I could only respect him more if he came out and retired right after this match.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arsenal Quotes

I was receiving offers from many other clubs and declining them all, even the most tempting ones. Juventus, Real Madrid, PSG contacted me, Bayern, France, England...I am happy to have been able to say no to more glory, more money, and to have been guided only by the idea of loyally serving the club. I had knitted myself a soul in Red and White.

Arsène Wenger: My Life in Red and White
Top Bottom