• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Petr Cech: Retiring at the end of the season

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trilly

Hates A-M, Saka, Arteta and You
Trusted ⭐

:lol: It's just a shirt number, ladies. Please try and remain calm!
No it's not!

The simplest explanation is usually the right one. This is a massive show of faith when the guy should be out of the door. Besides a top class CF a top GK has arguably the second most impact on results.

xG shows that De Gea gained United about 10 points this season (Cc @Makingtrax). A team with a defence likes ours should be making Gk a priority.

Jury

A-M's drunk uncle
No it's not!

The simplest explanation is usually the right one. This is a massive show of faith when the guy should be out of the door. Besides a top class CF a top GK has arguably the second most impact on results.

xG shows that De Gea gained United about 10 points this season (Cc @Makingtrax). A team with a defence likes ours should be making Gk a priority.
Put a semi-competent defence in front of him and this thread will die a death. De Gea would be on valium after a month playing behind our band of spastics.

arsmile

Established Member
to be fair...these feel like calls from the board- not the new manager?

Hopefully a new assessment of GK will happen when the new man comes in- we've got rid of the GK coach...so whoever comes in that role will have a say....

Trilly

Hates A-M, Saka, Arteta and You
Trusted ⭐

Put a semi-competent defence in front of him and this thread will die a death. De Gea would be on valium after a month playing behind our band of spastics.
Fair point but Cech is also kinda bad.

Jury

A-M's drunk uncle
Fair point but Cech is also kinda bad.
He's made some glaring errors, but he's also had some very good games and still pulls off great saves. I'd like us to be looking at other keepers, but it'll be interesting to what effect playing behind a more organised defence has on him with regards to brain farts, if he's really set to keep his place . I insist we need a better defensive line before we need a new keeper.

Penn_

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
Probably just a seniority thing. Oblak aside, there’s no keeper that we’ve been linked with that should walk in and automatically claim the no.1 shirt.

Jae

Who should we be replacing him with then people? I'm not sure if I'd be up for spending 40-80m on a goalkeeper so I reckon it'll be a budget buy.

In all honesty, I'd have a look at taking Fabianski back from Swansea, he's been tremendous the past few seasons. Last season he had the 3rd highest shots saved percentage after De Gea and Pope and he made 0 errors leading to goals (which is more than what you can say for Cech). He'll be cheap and he already knows the club.

Mark Tobias

Mr. Agreeable
Who should we be replacing him with then people? I'm not sure if I'd be up for spending 40-80m on a goalkeeper so I reckon it'll be a budget buy.

In all honesty, I'd have a look at taking Fabianski back from Swansea, he's been tremendous the past few seasons. Last season he had the 3rd highest shots saved percentage after De Gea and Pope and he made 0 errors leading to goals (which is more than what you can say for Cech). He'll be cheap and he already knows the club.
Have to say I was confused by the sale because before we got rid I thought he had come quite a long way with positive signs that he could still improve further.

This coming from someone who regularly called him 'flapshishandskis'

Reactions: Jae

Enz__

Anti Antique Abuse

Fabianski is 33 and just not good enough, we'll be looking to replace him in just a few seasons. I think it's a move a mid-table club would make. If we aren't going to go for an established goalie that will cost a fair bit then i'd rather we took a risk on a younger one with more potential and hope that it works.

Jae

Fabianski is 33 and just not good enough, we'll be looking to replace him in just a few seasons. I think it's a move a mid-table club would make. If we aren't going to go for an established goalie that will cost a fair bit then i'd rather we took a risk on a younger one with more potential and hope that it works.

Fair enough mate, I don't really think age makes a difference for keepers. He's certainly a hell of a lot better than Cech and would be a budget option as a stop gap for a few years until we have enough money to sign a young, talented keeper (who seem to cost an arm and a leg at the minute).

I'd much rather us splash the money on a CB than a GK. I'd be happy with a budget upgrade at GK for now.

He's made some glaring errors, but he's also had some very good games and still pulls off great saves. I'd like us to be looking at other keepers, but it'll be interesting to what effect playing behind a more organised defence has on him with regards to brain farts, if he's really set to keep his place . I insist we need a better defensive line before we need a new keeper.
I don't think that's entirely accurate, United conceded the most shots on target in the top 6 apparently. Cech is horrible and has been so for a while now, the man has dreadful reflexes, is terrible with the ball at feet, frequently loses his bearings and is generally a terrible keeper nowadays to be our number unfortunately

Jury

A-M's drunk uncle
I don't think that's entirely accurate, United conceded the most shots on target in the top 6 apparently. Cech is horrible and has been so for a while now, the man has dreadful reflexes, is terrible with the ball at feet, frequently loses his bearings and is generally a terrible keeper nowadays to be our number unfortunately
United conceded what type of shots, and from where? Nobody's saying he's as good as DeGea anyway. I'm all for improving on him, but it's difficult to argue that he's not playing behind one of the worst defence's in the league. That doesn't excuse his individual blunders though.

United conceded what type of shots, and from where? Nobody's saying he's as good as DeGea anyway. I'm all for improving on him, but it's difficult to argue that he's not playing behind one of the worst defence's in the league. That doesn't excuse his individual blunders though.
Fair enough those type of stats can be misleading without nuance, I just think the fact that our defense is terrible should not shield Cech from deserved criticism. Although I think we'd be best served continuing with him if our budget is as tight as reported, there are more pressing areas to address in order for this squad to compete again

<<reed>>

Lidl Tir Na Nog
Fake news. Check out the table:
https://understat.com/league/EPL/2017
United xGA (expected goals against) = 43.54 (28 conceded)
Arsenal xGA = 48.75 (51 conceded)
For example, Chelsea's, Pool's, Sp**s' xGA = 35

<<reed>>

Lidl Tir Na Nog
Bruv, you've lost me with the fairy tales xGaGspotXXX stuff.
You said
United conceded what type of shots, and from where?
And xGA is exactly what you need, the probability that any given shot will end up as a goal based on a number of factors, such as where the shot was taken from, the proximity of defenders, the nature of the attack, etc.

Jury

A-M's drunk uncle
You said

And xGA is exactly what you need, the probability that any given shot will end up as a goal based on a number of factors, such as where the shot was taken from, the proximity of defenders, the nature of the attack, etc.
Oh ok, now you've quoted the specific line. Again, though, nobody's arguing DeGea's quality or his ability to save a team points. Cech has had games where he was difference between a draw and a loss for the good too... I'm not a fan of those stats.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arsenal Quotes

People say why I did lie on the floor after the goal, they think I was tired. But I think I was a lot cleverer than people thought.

Charlie George reveals it was all a time-wasting plan after the double winning goal

Latest posts

Top Bottom