• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Your fav Arsenal matches

Sonic Youth

i would just like to know, which arsenal matches have been the most important or enjoyable for you. you don't have to name 10 matches of course, 3 or 5 will do as well....and could you give short comments on each match.
i worked it out for myself and wrote it all down on 10 pages but i'll keep it short for you :?

1. Liverpool - Arsenal (0-0) october 2, 1993
not a great match, but this was the day i became a gooner.

2. Arsenal - Parma (1-0) may 4, 1994
the first time i saw arsenal winning a trophy and the first time a got to see them play live on tv (i live in holland, they didn't show english football live on dutch tv back then). i was so nervous before this game and it made a huge impact on me. i still get the shivers when i think of it.

3. Arsenal - Tottenham (3-0) november 16, 2002
my third visit to highbury and my first to the match against the ****. got drunk, went to the game, shouted my lungs out and got to see us humiliating the **** en henry scoring one of his best goals ever.

4. Manchester United - Arsenal (0-1) may 8, 2002
well, we won the league in manchester, what more can i say....

5. Arsenal - Middlesbrough (1-1) august 20, 1995
my first visit to highbury. and i got interviewd for english tv. they asked my why a came to highbury as an 11 year old kid from holland and i told em that i'd been supporting the arsenal for a few years and this was a dream come true. then they told me to do the interview once more, but this time i had to say i came to see dennis bergkamp :evil: what an assholes. i didn't do it of course.
visiting highbury for the first time was a great moment of course.

6. Arsenal - Everton (4-0) may 3, 1998
the first time i saw arsenal winning the league and tony adams got to score the fourth goal in a four-nil thunping of everton. great day...

7. Sampdoria - Arsenal (3-2, Arsenal won after penalties) april 1995
we had won the first leg at highbury 3-2 (two goals from martin keown within a minute) but were 3-1 down at sampdoria in the final minute of the game. then stefan schwarz scored a free kick which got us into extra time and into penalties. merson took the our final penalty and could win it for us but missed. then seaman amazingly saved lombardo's penalty and we reached the cup winners cup final again (we all know what happened in the final and that was the only time a football match got me crying)but darn this match got the adrenaline pumping.

8. Arsenal - Newcastle (2-0) may 1998 FA Cup final at wembley
the first time i saw arsenal lift the FA cup on this beautiful sunny may afternoon. i was just totally happy when we completed the double.

9. Arsenal - Crystal Palace (3-0) february (i'm not completely sure about the month) 1995
george graham had been really wasting our team in the months before this game (although he had been a great manager of course) and had all this fraude stuff going on. this was the first match after his resignation and we instantly won conveniently. i really saw this match as a new start.

10. Arsenal - Newcastle (5-0) december 9, 2000
my second visit to highbury and a 5-0 win over newcastle with a ray parlour hat-trick. it doesn't get much better, does it?

thanks for reading all this mates!

kanuuu

Established Member
Another one would be the 0-1 at Old Trafford in 98 with the Overmars goal, i remember the camera focussing on some guy in the Arsenal Crowd after the final whistle celebrating, going absolutely mental, he looked like he was gonna explode, everytime they show that match i get ashiver down my spine seeing that bloke.

Sonic Youth

yeah i know, and they filmed him again when we won there in 2002 8)
only this time he wasn't going completely nuts, but just happily celebrating.

AFCG7

Established Member
I almost died when the Merse got his penalty saved in the Sampdoria game.. i turned the frickin TV off and went outside for about 20 minutes during which i just prayed and hoped for a miracle... when i returned to see that we made it i felt even worse for missing our moment of triumph!

Stefan Schwarz was my hero for a long time after that game :)

jc8gooner

Out of the games I've been to this season, the Wolves 5-1 in the Carling Cup as well as the Rotherham game in the same competition do stand out. Leeds the other night was also really good.
Over this whole season, the Inter Milan game 5-1 was brilliant.

Ladygooner

From a footballing perspective........the Inter Milan 5-1 thrashing was absolutely the best! :D

From a personal point of view though - last year's FA Cup final was very special for me. The game itself was not that great and very nerve racking towards the end (remember Ashley's save off the line) but it was the first FA Cup Final I had been to, it was my wedding anniversary, and, thirdly, my favourite player Pires scored the winning goal, so a perfect day in all despite the fact it chucked down with rain. I was so gutted when Pires got injured the year before :( , missing out on the end of season and the FA Cup final, so I was delighted that he made up for it by scoring in the final last year. ;D

reggiepaul

Inter 5-1, United last season 2 nil in the FA Cup, Vs Everton and Newcastle in 97/98, 0102 United game and Newcastle game, winning at Anfield in 89 - vital! Winning in Europe - probably my stand out games amongst others...

James

Established Member
Out of the games i've been too:

01/02 - United 1-0, Liverpool 2-1, Newcastle 2-0
Both winning cup finals against Chelsea and Soton
United 2-0 in FA Cup last season
The 3-2 Chelsea game, Kanu hat trick

Worst: UEFA Cup final, 6-1 United game and Liverpool cup final

RocktheCasbah

Established Member
Sonic Youth said:
9. Arsenal - Crystal Palace (3-0) february (i'm not completely sure about the month) 1995
george graham had been really wasting our team in the months before this game (although he had been a great manager of course) and had all this fraude stuff going on. this was the first match after his resignation and we instantly won conveniently. i really saw this match as a new start.

Hate to quibble with ya, but the first match after George's resignation was Home to Nottm Forest. Only mention it cos I was there to see one of most impressive false dawns ever in Glenn Helder's debut and a Chris Kiwomya winner in the 82 minute.

Matches I have been to, Sheff United home 1991. My first game and a 5-2 thrashing.
Nottm Forest home same season, 3-1 down with 5 minutes left Merse and then Adams rescue a point.
Liverpool home same season, Anders Limpar, 40 yards, need I say more!
The 2-2 game the following season in the FA Cup, Leeds. 2-0 down at half time "Ooh ahh" Parlour and then a late Merse thunderbolt rescued the tie in front of an ecstatic Clock End.
Everton home 93-94. Ian Wright's juggle and lob.
And lest I forget home to Kiev this season, where I began to believe in God...

The 4-1 win over Boro this season was also a cracker and, as has been mentioned, the 5-1 demolition of Wolves in the CC was great fun.

TV games, United A 97-98, 02. Everton home 98, 02. West Ham FAC 98, the moment the double became a certainty for me. Chelsea in the Cup last year was pretty special too (both games)

Sonic Youth

Hate to quibble with ya, but the first match after George's resignation was Home to Nottm Forest. Only mention it cos I was there to see one of most impressive false dawns ever in Glenn Helder's debut and a Chris Kiwomya winner in the 82 minute.

you are right, i looked it up on the arsewebsite, it says this:

D21/02/95 George Graham Sacked - Stewart Houston takes over
21/02/95 Nottm For H W 1-0 Ki

25/02/95 C Palace A W 0-3 Me Ki2

i think i heard about graham's resignation after the forest match, so i always thought the game against palace was the first without him.
i'm still wrong about the venue though.... :eek:ops:

Aussie

Established Member
One of my fav Arsenal games that you can just watch over and over again is the when we beat leeds 4-1 away last year. The football was amazing.

Exiled In Newcastle

Established Member
Yeah, GG was sacked in the afternoon of the forest game. Funny thing was his notes were still in the programme and started by saying something about the rumours of his departure being unfounded. Oops.

Helder was stunning that night. He was a good winger with a good cross, but unfortunately none of the other players were ever where his crosses were going after that game!

KingReyes

Established Member
1-0 win over manure to win the 01/02 league.
1-0 win over parma in 94.
3-2 vs Villa in 2001/02 season. Reason being we were 2-0 down in this match and came back to win it. It showed what great fighters this team is and how much team spirit there is within the club. Went on to win the league that year. This game also reminds me of the recent Liverpool match. 2-1 down, out of 2 trophies but responded so well. It made so proud.

reggiepaul

Aussie said:
One of my fav Arsenal games that you can just watch over and over again is the when we beat leeds 4-1 away last year. The football was amazing.

Yup after we totally humiliated them I was really thinking the Leeds fans wouldn't be happy but they were all too pleased afterwards but not as happy with the club - it was the beginning of the end for them around that time.

Wondeful game though - that was like watching some higher power football.

RocktheCasbah

Established Member
Aussie said:

I enjoyed that one immensely, it was the day I left Leeds. One of my Gooner mates came to get me as well, watched the game in the Skyrack and then drove past Elland Rd sticking two fingers up at it gleefully, before I realised that you shouldn't be able to see Elland Rd from the M1. We were, of course, on the M62! :eek:ops:

RocktheCasbah

Established Member
ExiledInNewcastle said:
Yeah, GG was sacked in the afternoon of the forest game. Funny thing was his notes were still in the programme and started by saying something about the rumours of his departure being unfounded. Oops.

Helder was stunning that night. He was a good winger with a good cross, but unfortunately none of the other players were ever where his crosses were going after that game!

How bizarre was that night? What I remember most about it was how well the team played, I'd seen them a couple of weeks previously against Everton, and they were crap. What a transformation!

timberford

having been lucky enough to hold a season ticket for 7 seasons now i've been able to see most of the great moments since wenger arrived.

3 games stand out for me though, all from the '98 double season (in no particular order):

1. man utd at highbury - we won 3-2. we went two nil up with goals from anelka and vieira only for vieira to injure himself in the celebrations! then good old teddy got 2 back within minutes! :evil: however, up pops david platt with an amazing header with only a few minutes left of the game! it completely blew the championship race open and the rest is history! definitely a game i'll never forget. david platt is a legend! :thumbup

2. the fa cup final against newcastle at wembley 2 nil to us to secure the league and cup double. overmars gets one through the legs of given. classy. but anelka's goal for me is one of the best arsenal goal's ever. literally the only arsenal player in their half, he goes it alone and what a finish! he has to celebrate on his own in front of the newcastle fans cause he's so quick! i remember jumping up and down so much when that went in and i didn't realise at the time i was rubbing the backs of my legs against the cheap (and annoyingly backless) wembley seats! it absolutely killed afterwards but i didn't care! wembley kicks cardiff's arse though for the fa cup final that's for sure!

3. highbury against everton 4 nil. tony adams. absolute legend. see avatar <--- :) most amazing atmosphere at highbury i've ever experienced! even the west stand joined in the "we're the clock end, we're the north bank tune" although this did confuse a lot of people as obviously no one knows the order when other stands try to join in lol. seeing the arsenal squad bow down to robert pires was amazing, also ian wright hanging out the dressing room window after the game to spray champaign over the fans!

ahhh memories... :)

reggiepaul

timberford said:
2. the fa cup final against newcastle at wembley 2 nil to us to secure the league and cup double. overmars gets one through the legs of given. classy. but anelka's goal for me is one of the best arsenal goal's ever. literally the only arsenal player in their half, he goes it alone and what a finish! he has to celebrate on his own in front of the newcastle fans cause he's so quick! i remember jumping up and down so much when that went in and i didn't realise at the time i was rubbing the backs of my legs against the cheap (and annoyingly backless) wembley seats! it absolutely killed afterwards but i didn't care! wembley kicks cardiff's arse though for the fa cup final that's for sure!

3. highbury against everton 4 nil. tony adams. absolute legend. see avatar <--- :) most amazing atmosphere at highbury i've ever experienced! even the west stand joined in the "we're the clock end, we're the north bank tune" although this did confuse a lot of people as obviously no one knows the order when other stands try to join in lol. seeing the arsenal squad bow down to robert pires was amazing, also ian wright hanging out the dressing room window after the game to spray champaign over the fans!

ahhh memories... :)

Yup that's the avatar and that's the moment. Tony Adams scores - lol. Epic stuff. Both of them great games. The Everton one a total humiliation of Everton - great game - great goals - amazing football.

Arsenal Quotes

Arsene Who?

Headlines of English media when Arsène was announced as new manager of Arsenal in 1996

Latest posts

Top Bottom