• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Your minimum expectation this season?

General

Established Member
An unpredictable 7-8 months lie ahead and the outcome could be anyone’s guess. Our shortcomings, from squad depth to injury prone players and beyond have been laid bare for all to see. On current evidence, we still remain susceptible to these predicaments and many would’ve lowered their expectations even further in view of the limited activity in the transfer market. In a summary, what would be your minimum expectation this season?

1. Carling Cup Winners
2. FA Cup Winners
3. Champions League Winners
4. PL winners
5. Champion’s League spot with zero trophies.
6. Sexy football and even more sexy football
7. As long as we finish above the sc*m.

Add your own option if you so wish.

Gooner_Stu

Established Member
Third in the league, thats the lowest we should think of being acceptable. And some serious push in the cups, Semi's in all Cups. Ofc a trophy or 2 would be fantastic, but we need to show we're competitive and not on the wane as some critics seem to think.

Oh and a win everytime we play Sp**s.

bojed

AM Resident Joker #1
I expect us to win either the Carling or the FA cup.

I expect us to finish at least second this season.

I expect us to play in the CL Final again, and hopefully, bring it back home this time.

Lancelot

Established Member
Mine would be any improvement, point-wise, on what we have managed to achieve last season in the EPL. An equal amount or a point less without the presence of either of the other two major cup trophies and I'll consider this season to be a failure.

How far we go in the Champions League and the FA cup won't have any bearing whatsoever in the event that we outdo ourselves in the EPL - unless we lose in either of the finals playing below our standard.

nazo

Established Member
bojed said:
I expect us to win either the Carling or the FA cup.

I expect us to finish at least second this season.

I expect us to play in the CL Final again, and hopefully, bring it back home this time.

Agree with this.

dos1986

Established Member
I dont think we will anything, not even the Carling.

We have a flaky keeper, a defence that cant defend aerially, only one later stages champions league standard central midfielder in Cesc and light injury prone wide players/striker

Feanor

Established Member
Challenging for the title (1st or 2nd)
Either FA cup or CL
Could care less about the mickey mouse cup, we're not ****ing spuds!

Those were my minimum requirements at the end of last season, I don't give a **** about the transfer activity, that's Wenger's problem, he CHOSE not to buy anybody else.

TomasCR

Established Member
My expectation? I want to see Rosicky and Bischoff fit - then we can talk about the rest. Yeah and of course, I want to see Walcott scoring hattrict, but for Arsenal.

1) PL winners
2) Champions League Winners

number_0

Established Member
I am predicting us for the league trophy, yup, second wont be a disapointment, but still an achivement, semis in the cups with a chance to win one of them is also ok.

giuliob

I prefer to call it my wish list...Unfulfilled expectations drag me down to the depths of depression...A wish list is like if if happens it's absolutely wonderful, and if it doesn't, well it ain't the end of the world...

Rosicky and RVP play 40 games each.
Qualify for Champions League.
Wenger does something decent in the January transfer window.
Carling Cup winners for the young'uns.
Make it through to the semis of the Champions League.

Josh23

As long as we do as well as last season, I'll be very happy again. The gaps to winning were smaller than the confidence interval in all competitions bar the FA and Carling cups. If Arsenal perform as well again, and the only difference is that this year they are not extremely unlucky, they'll win EPL and CL.

AnthonyG

Arse Emeritus
Unexpected and pleasing internal development propelling us to a down-to-the-wire EPL race. CL-semis and hopefully beyond. These two runs might take their toll on the domestic cups. Overall, a better goals against record.

Meatwad

Well if these players don't suffer RVP/Rosicky type injuries: Cesc, Ade, Nasri, Clichy and miss pretty much all of the season, then I expect us to do better than last season because Wenger had money and didn't spend so it must mean there is enough quality in the squad to achieve our objectives.

arsenalfc0719

Established Member
1. Carling Cup - Can't see us wining it to be honest, semi finals maybe.
2. FA Cup - We could make it to the quarter final.
3. Champions League - quarter finals, if were lucky.
4. Premier League - 4th.
5. Sexy football - With this team? I doubt it.
6. Finish above the sc*m. - Definitely.

Macho

In search of Pure Profit 💸
Dusted 🔻

I'll settle for 7,6 and 5. Maybe even just 5 and 7.
I honestly think we could win the Champions league though...

As for the league, FA cup & Whatsitcalled cup- I don't feel like we really out to get any of them.
All due to a combination of the attitude of the manager + players, the usual flaws that will inevitably overwhelm us in the end and relying on incompetent and unreliable personel.

Success in the champions league accompanied with a respectable spot in the league would be a brilliant season though- and I reckon it is very much within our power to do it.

Dez

Challenge the Title i.e. be contenders up until the final few games.

Cups are too unpredictable to have expectations.

Biggus

Established Member
I wish people would read the thread title, It is not your prediction that General asked about there is already a thread for that..... He asked what is the minimum expectation that you will be satisfied with.

I was actually going to start a similar thread myself, in light of recent developments such as what's happened at Man City and the removal of doubt that surrounded Wenger's refusal to spend, ie it is now obvious that there was/is money available but Wenger refuses to spend it on proven talent that could assist success in the shorter term but has decided to spend on youth potential such as Ramsey, or Nasri to a higher degree, that may bring success in the longer term.
My issue here is not to debate Wenger's policies as we have other threads to do that, General asked a question and I would like to reply that taking the above into consideration-

Isn't is about time that we drastically lowered our expectation's?

I was thinking about this since I read MDGoonahs post about what would it have been like to be a success starved Gunner in days past, I knew and well now you all know too. :wink:
Ever since our Invincible's stormed into the record books we have treated every season as a sort of off-season where if things went different we would surely reclaim our rightful crown. But as life is what happens while you make plans our constant failure and developments elsewhere have see our hopes slip further and further away. Manchester City's entry into the super rich club will drive prices further upward. Wenger's relegation of the search for trophies to a lesser priority which was a liability before, has actually the potential to stabilise us now as the climate is much more hostile in that area. Wenger and his strategy will not win us anything- but it should keep us at least competitive in this very aggressive transfer market.

So in conclusion I feel we must readjust our expectation's......Wenger's youth policy will never build a team capable of winning major trophies because if by chance any of his proteges do become "real stars" they will want to go to a team that will win things and/or be paid well, and we can do neither.
I do however back Wenger to get us a CL spot, and under the circumstances I feel that's our maximum potential and our minimum expectation.

Arsenal Quotes

Women kill for love and men kill because they hate to lose

Arsène Wenger
Top Bottom