• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Zidane - His Career and That Headbutt

junialum

I think Zidane deserves a thread on its own. What are your thoughts about him. And how he ended his career? Do you think he'd be back in Euro 08 to correct things?

I just feel disappointed about the way his career ended but it's mostly his fault really. He should have known better than to do a headbutt.

This thread is also open to remember Zidane's greatest moments.

freddie_08

its just a stupid way to end a career,ive never seen zidane doing such a thing,so i know he might have been provoked badly,but for an exprienced guy like zidane,it isnt an excuse knowing that this is the final match and the last game he ever plays...
iam just too sad for henry,it has been an unlucky year for him. :(

hutfa

What a shame. The greatest player of this generation deserves a much better send of but unfortunately it was not to be. At the end of the day it is his own fault and as soon as he did it i'm sure he regretted it and he will continue to regret what he did for a long long time. I fell so sorry for him though. Maybe some fairytales are just not meant to be. Had a few chances to win the game but just didn't happen. However i do feel that materazzi must have said something really offensive because although zizou does have a temper, he would not do such a thing lightly. He must have been pissed. I'm so ****ty that the italians won. Hate them now more than ever.

On the topic of zidane himself he is without a doubt one of the true greats of all time and the best player the world has ever seen since maradonna. That is a fact. Great players have come and gone recently but none have equalled zidane. Not ronaldo or ronaldinho or george weah or baggio or berkhamp or batistuta or figo or totti or rivaldo or thierry henry himself can claim to be as good. Au revoir Zidane. Thanks for all the wonderful memories.

By the way don't feel sorry for Henry. I love the guy more than any other player but that does not mean he is prtotected from criticism. zidane worked much harder in the final than Henry. Henry looked lazy and sluggish. Did a lot of walking around with hands on hips. Maybe he is just so damn tired and worn out. Who knows......

Kastriot

I don’t send messages on this forum all the time, you know, but I wanted to say something important for me about Zinedine Zidane’s act.
It’s really too bad for the man he was. He was so criticized at the beginning of the World Cup and he wanted to shut up all his detractors. Even yesterday we saw that Zizou was fabulous and outstanding as usual. I just wanted to thank this legend of the French football.
junialum I would have loved he continued his career but unfortunately he won’t. He goes away from the smallest door which exists.

albakos

Arséne Wenger: "I will miss you"
Administrator

Player:Saka
Undoubtedly, Zidane is one of the greatest fotball players to grace the fileds of football. Regardless of last night he will remain a great one, and I am sure he regretted that one, but **** happens and who knows what did Materazzi offend him with..

We will miss his magic... I hope he comes back at footballing to do teh coaching business..

Thanks for the memories. He is a true legend adn imo.. the second best of all time.. after El Pibe....

IRONMAN GFK

zidane's my favorite player, but damn he disappointed me
such a shame, i'd almost forget about that penalty (which was panenka to the next level!!)

Lukazan

Established Member
Zidane, the best player of the last 10 years.

Ask me if he deserves to be mentioned up there with Pele and Maradona and I say, without a moments hesitation, yes.

Couldn't care loss about the headbutt tbh.. it was only bloody Materazzi :D. And only Zizou could perform a headbutt and make it look that damn good!

chamouz

Just got this information by a friend not sure if its true or not :
Apparently materazzi told zizou that he was a african monkey raised by football ....
this still don't excuse his gesture but reinforce my view that italians players are a bunch of racist cheat ...they shoud deserve a real kick in their guts ...hope they appreciate the relegation

Gurgen

Established Member
freddie_08 said:
its just a stupid way to end a career,ive never seen zidane doing such a thing,so i know he might have been provoked badly,but for an exprienced guy like zidane,it isnt an excuse knowing that this is the final match and the last game he ever plays...
iam just too sad for henry,it has been an unlucky year for him. :(

Guess you missed France '98 then.

Fact is, Zidane has had his moments of madness in the past as well. He has never been a model pro as people are suggesting. Doesn't mean he was any less brilliant though.

He was a street footballer from the Marseille ghetto and has never changed.

junialum

Zidane has headbutted an opponent before (8 years back) and he did stamp on someone too.

Blowing your fuse about 3 times in an glittering entire career is normal. Wayne has done it 10 more times in 3 years than Zidane has done in 15.

It' sad to see him go away like that. I feel very sorrowful for him.

I just hope the world will forgive him for this act. Memories of him should be that of his wonderful skills. Just like the way we remember Maradona for his exquisite talent and not for his drugs or hand of god goal.

KeVûN

Apperantly it was on the French radio that Materazzi told Zidane:

"You are a terrorist just like al the other arab's "

Apperantly that's wat Zidane said to the Radio! I still think that does not give him the right to react the way he did!

F_Henry

KeVûN said:

Apperantly that's what Zidane said to the Radio! I still think that does not give him the right to react the way he did!

are you crazy? if he really did say that, then his headbutt is justified. I can't stand this racism ****, especially during football. IMO,this is more serious than any other type of racism

gunnertilldeath

Established Member
if Materazzi said any of the things being suggested, Zidane should get a medal for restraint. i'd have kicked him in the balls, watched him fall to his knees and then kicked him in the teeth. that said, only Zidane and Materazzi know what happened. Zidane is still a total legend in my eyes. i feel blessed to have been able to watch his brilliance for all these years. Thank you Zizou. I'll miss you

shaz

materazzi must have said something really serious to get a reaction like that out of zidane. personally, if he said something like that to me i would knocked him down and repeatedly kicked him untill someone forced me off. i mean, what the hey, its my last match right? might as well..

KeVûN

F_Henry said:
KeVûN said:

Apperantly that's what Zidane said to the Radio! I still think that does not give him the right to react the way he did!

are you crazy? if he really did say that, then his headbutt is justified. I can't stand this racism s**t, especially during football. IMO,this is more serious than any other type of racism

Afcourse this is rediciouls what materazzi said ( if he said it ) if i was Zidane i would give the headbutt on to his nose! But this is Zidane what we are talking about he is a roll model in Football this happens all the time during soccer matches players provoting each other especially materazzi, Zidane should stand above that! Because he dindn't not only got himself send of, but also the captain the leader of the french team was gone! And you need a guy like that if your taking penalty's.

N!

if i was zidane in that situation, and Materazzi has said whatever he said (if it was really abusive) then i would have knocked him on the floor and ripped his balls off.

But if it was just abusive (not really abusive) i would have carried on and got back at him some other way.

seb_afc

Established Member
theres a whole thread on zidane and his headbutt in the WC section..I've already written my thoughts in that one.

Arsenal Quotes

In June 1996, David Dein, Peter Hill-Wood and Danny Fiszman came out to Nagoya to meet me on behalf of Arsenal. Within an hour we came to an agreement. The Japanese directors didn't try to keep hold of me in the usual way but talked with persuasive arguments... But as far as I was concerned, the decision was taken. Arsenal. A decision that would change my life.

Arsène Wenger: My Life in Red and White
Top Bottom