• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Aaron Ramsey: BianconAaron

Do You Consider Aaron Ramsey An Arsenal Legend?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Longy

Ramsey has had a pretty good season, but personally I don't think he is the right kind of player to play in midfield. The best midfielders around like Modric and Kroos only get a few goals a season, but they are incredibly important in controlling the game, distributing play and closing gaps as well.

I think that's the kind of player we should be aiming for, a box-to-box player who aims to get double digits every season at the cost of the structure of the team seems to be getting less relevant in a game that gets more tactical and better coached every year.

Hallelujah !!!!

Aevi

Hale End FC
If he played for another good side, I think he'd get more credit for his quality. Which is a reason why he might decide to leave this summer... such a shame. He's our best midfielder, the one we need to find the best possible partner for this summer, the guy who should get the armband next season.

Aevi

Hale End FC
Thinking about it, I can see where some of the dislike for Ramsey comes from. I don't think his general technique is particularly exceptional; as a dribbler, passer, tackler, or finisher, there are many better than him. The thing is though, he is not bad at any of those either, which for me is okay as he is exceptional at another thing: his positioning.

It's not just in the box either. Ramsey is great at finding pockets of space to occupy in our buildup to be available to pass to, and is adept at quick one twos with the likes of Özil which is one of the things we associate with prime Wengerball. Then of course, there is his trademark late run into the box, which creates great shooting opportunities by giving the opposition's defenders too much to handle. Yes, it means we have one less player back if we do lose the ball, but that shouldn't matter too much in a good system. And the "Ramsey thinks he's a CF" talk is bollocks, this is clearly something Wenger asks him to do.

The conclusion I'd pull from this is that Ramsey is very good at playing in certain role, and that it's just not to everyone's taste. If it isn't, fair enough, but I'm personally a big fan and am intrigued to see how far we could take him in a more effective setup.

Trilly

Hates A-M, Saka, Arteta and You
Trusted ⭐

As I said earlier you cant build a successful/balanced midfield/side with both Özil and Ramsey within it.
May unfortunately be the case unless we play one of Ramsey/Özil as a free-roaming wide player. For Ramsey's qualities to show through he has to played in a three man midfield or as a spare player. The latter simply won't happen under Wenger.

Özil seemed to be growing into that right winger/forward/attacking midfielder role though. 433 with Özil as a playmaking winger could work but then it raises the question 'why limit your best player to accommodate an inferior one?'.

How many years does he have left? Funnily enough I predicted us selling him this or last summer due to the wage demands vs consistency argument that I assume he's having with the club right now. What I didn't predict was the current state of the club. He'll bend us over.

dashsnow17

Doesn’t Rate Any Of Our Attackers
Trusted ⭐
Thinking about it, I can see where some of the dislike for Ramsey comes from. I don't think his general technique is particularly exceptional; as a dribbler, passer, tackler, or finisher, there are many better than him. The thing is though, he is not bad at any of those either, which for me is okay as he is exceptional at another thing: his positioning.

It's not just in the box either. Ramsey is great at finding pockets of space to occupy in our buildup to be available to pass to, and is adept at quick one twos with the likes of Özil which is one of the things we associate with prime Wengerball. Then of course, there is his trademark late run into the box, which creates great shooting opportunities by giving the opposition's defenders too much to handle. Yes, it means we have one less player back if we do lose the ball, but that shouldn't matter too much in a good system. And the "Ramsey thinks he's a CF" talk is bollocks, this is clearly something Wenger asks him to do.

The conclusion I'd pull from this is that Ramsey is very good at playing in certain role, and that it's just not to everyone's taste. If it isn't, fair enough, but I'm personally a big fan and am intrigued to see how far we could take him in a more effective setup.

Don't bother trying to second guess yourself just cos a bunch of people continuously disparage Ramsey. He's a good player, you think he's a good player, so no need to empathise with the viewpoint that he isn't.

Sometimes football fans rate certain players irrationally and criticise other players equally irrationally. It seems to me Ramsey is just one of those players some people like to hate for whatever reason. Maybe because he'll try stuff that doesn't always work, or maybe just because he doesn't showcase his personality in an endearing way. That's their problem. He's a good player, enough said.

Trilly

Trusted ⭐

Ramsey has had a pretty good season, but personally I don't think he is the right kind of player to play in midfield.
Look at Dele Alli and Pogba for comparison, two players I often compare to Ramsey. At their best they all play the same role, not really a traditional box to box CM but not really a number 10 either.

It's not a coincidence that both us and United have suffered when we've tried to play Ramsey and Pogba as traditional CM's. I think Poch tried the same a while ago with Alli and quickly realised it wouldn't work.

The majority of the 'Ramsey haters' appreciate his qualities, they (we?) are just tired of seeing our ugly mess of a midfield. I would be over the moon if we could accommodate Ramsey and Özil while still being defensively solid.

I don't watch Sp**s enough to know the intricacies but they manage to play Eriksen , Alli and sometimes Son while still being quite solid in midfield. Wouldn't be a bad template to start from.

Raicore

Don't bother trying to second guess yourself just cos a bunch of people continuously disparage Ramsey. He's a good player, you think he's a good player, so no need to empathise with the viewpoint that he isn't.

Sometimes football fans rate certain players irrationally and criticise other players equally irrationally. It seems to me Ramsey is just one of those players some people like to hate for whatever reason. Maybe because he'll try stuff that doesn't always work, or maybe just because he doesn't showcase his personality in an endearing way. That's their problem. He's a good player, enough said.

I feel that they hate Ramsey for his guts.. how dare Ramsey stole the thunder from their fav Arsenal players.. he's our most high scoring mdf.. imagine the never ending praise if Özil/Auba/Laca was the one who scored the hat trick against Everton or the brace against csk ..but since its Ramsey who did it..they downplay it lol..wat bias!

Trilly

Trusted ⭐

I feel that they hate Ramsey for his guts.. how dare Ramsey stole the thunder from their fav Arsenal players.. he's our most high scoring mdf.. imagine the never ending praise if Özil/Auba/Laca was the one who scored the hat trick against Everton or the brace against csk ..but since its Ramsey who did it..they downplay it lol..wat bias!
It's not that deep bro.

You've probably over analysed the situation here...why would an Arsenal fan hate an Arsenal player?

Football Manager

Copy & Paste Merchant

We don’t hate Ramsey. We are just stating the fact that he is not up to standard. How is that bias when we’ve provide VALID EVIDENCE to actually prove that he is not good enough? If you’ve read though the last few pages, you’ll see the reasons why we don’t think he is great. And we never mentioned he isn’t good because he try things that doesn’t always work.

Rex Stone

Long live the fighters
Trusted ⭐

Look at Dele Alli and Pogba for comparison, two players I often compare to Ramsey. At their best they all play the same role, not really a traditional box to box CM but not really a number 10 either.

It's not a coincidence that both us and United have suffered when we've tried to play Ramsey and Pogba as traditional CM's. I think Poch tried the same a while ago with Alli and quickly realised it wouldn't work.

The majority of the 'Ramsey haters' appreciate his qualities, they (we?) are just tired of seeing our ugly mess of a midfield. I would be over the moon if we could accommodate Ramsey and Özil while still being defensively solid.

I don't watch Sp**s enough to know the intricacies but they manage to play Eriksen , Alli and sometimes Son while still being quite solid in midfield. Wouldn't be a bad template to start from.

I think trying to fit Özil in like Germany do is the way to go, don’t like number 10s in football any more.

Allows for midfield runners to move into space and into the box late like Khedira or Kroos do.

Football Manager

Copy & Paste Merchant
I think trying to fit Özil in like Germany do is the way to go, don’t like number 10s in football any more.

Allows for midfield runners to move into space and into the box late like Khedira or Kroos do.
Khedira and Kroos are much better player.

I’m sure prime Khedira could easily outperform any of our central midfielder in terms of technical abilities.
But still, Madrid fans were accusing Khedira for not being technical enough. That’s the standard of Madrid.

N

NotAUserName

May unfortunately be the case unless we play one of Ramsey/Özil as a free-roaming wide player. For Ramsey's qualities to show through he has to played in a three man midfield or as a spare player. The latter simply won't happen under Wenger.

Özil seemed to be growing into that right winger/forward/attacking midfielder role though. 433 with Özil as a playmaking winger could work but then it raises the question 'why limit your best player to accommodate an inferior one?'.

How many years does he have left? Funnily enough I predicted us selling him this or last summer due to the wage demands vs consistency argument that I assume he's having with the club right now. What I didn't predict was the current state of the club. He'll bend us over.
No, why should we accommodate Özil at the expense of the team? The #10 role is a relic - one Wenger should have done with a long time ago.

Football Manager

Copy & Paste Merchant
It’s true that Ramsey had score some goals with his runs. But a great midfielder should be able to improve a team’s attack. To create more chance for the strikers. Ramsey as a midfielder is unable to help the team to improve.

He doesn’t have the close control of Cazorla, the long range pass of Scholes, the Modric’s pin point pass that beautifully cut through the defence, the Fabregas’ first touch to make one two passes, the football brain and clever movement of Iniesta to create space for teammates...Ramsey is just bad in those areas.

I don’t expect we’d get such amazing players like the ones I’ve mentioned above, but at least our midfielder should be able to be good at some of the aspect I’ve just stated.

Last edited by a moderator:

Rex Stone

Long live the fighters
Trusted ⭐

I’m sure prime Khedira could easily outperform any of our central midfielder in terms of technical abilities.
But still, Madrid fans were accusing Khedira for not being technical enough. That’s the standard of Madrid.

Not my point at all.

Just saying Ramsey could make late runs like they do.

Football Manager

Copy & Paste Merchant
If there is a “making late run” attribute in fifa, Ramsey would be rated 95 in that particular category, but most of his other attributes would be just around 50-60. It’s true that Ramsey can score some goals with his 95 but, the overall team play will be bad because of his 50-60.

There is no doubt he has qualities in some areas, but the disadvantage of playing him (that affected our team performance) outweighed that.

Last edited by a moderator:

Trilly

Trusted ⭐

I could be mistaken but I'm not sure that Khedira is much better than in-form Ramsey if at all. Khedira does seem to have a higher base though whereas Ramsey can be quite bad sometimes.

Trilly

Trusted ⭐

No, why should we accommodate Özil at the expense of the team? The #10 role is a relic - one Wenger should have done with a long time ago.
It's not at the expense of the team though, unless you're also trying to accommodate Ramsey. There is the problem.

My point is we will never see a defensively stable system with Özil and Ramsey both playing in their preferred positions and roles.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arsenal Quotes

Women kill for love and men kill because they hate to lose

Arsène Wenger
Top Bottom