• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

German Football 2017/18

Furious

Emery Gone, Telly Back On
True, of course, behind all this is Red Bull and they make some sneaky business with RB Salzburg, who were degraded to Leipzigs Farm-Team.

But seen in context i don't find them as evil as Chelski / PSG etc.

1. There's no 1st-League-Team in the east of Germany besides maybe Hertha Berlin who play in West Berlin so they're filling up a vacuum that has been screaming for filling up for years. I was really wondering why no1 was seizing the opportunity before

2. The Stadium was once the biggest in Germany (iirc) and was there for the taking, it was even renewed for the WC 2006 - and since now basically useless because it couldn't be used to its full potential.

3. Red Bull is pumping massive money in infrastructure and youth work, expect the next Özils etc. to come from there in 10+ years.

4. Ralf Rangnick knows his ****. He was the one who brought Hoffenheim from nowhere to the first League, but then SAP / Dietmar Hopp weren't as ambitious as he was so RB asked him to do the same with Leipzig, and boy did he deliver again.

The hardcore fans despise Leipzig and yell "tradition" whenever they can but i call that a lot of bullshit. Leverkusen & Wolfsburg f.e. are company owned (Bayer, Volkswagen) and if Leipzig will stay in the 1st League for some decades noone will bring that argument anymore.

Good insight, cheers. You from Germany?

Who do you reckon is more hated right now, Leipzig or Bayern?

Follow Bundesliga relatively closely myself, and as plastic as RB may be, I can't help but feel happy for them to piss on Bayern's monopoly.

Oh_Snap

Good insight, cheers. You from Germany?

Who do you reckon is more hated right now, Leipzig or Bayern?

Not 100% german but lived here all my life.
Let's say they take the spotlight off Bayern a bit, as away fans from other clubs do some protests against Leipzig that make it into media. I agree that Bayern needs some1 to press on their monopoly, somehow Dortmund is going to be the eternal 2nd just like Leverkusen (Vicekusen) used to be before.

Imho Bayern aren't hated as much as in like 5-10 years ago. Germans just love Thomas Müller, god knows why, and that somehow reflected on the club.

jones

Captain Serious
Trusted ⭐
True, of course, behind all this is Red Bull and they make some sneaky business with RB Salzburg, who were degraded to Leipzigs Farm-Team.

But seen in context i don't find them as evil as Chelski / PSG etc.

1. There's no 1st-League-Team in the east of Germany besides maybe Hertha Berlin who play in West Berlin so they're filling up a vacuum that has been screaming for filling up for years. I was really wondering why no1 was seizing the opportunity before

2. The Stadium was once the biggest in Germany (iirc) and was there for the taking, it was even renewed for the WC 2006 - and since now basically useless because it couldn't be used to its full potential.

3. Red Bull is pumping massive money in infrastructure and youth work, expect the next Özils etc. to come from there in 10+ years.

4. Ralf Rangnick knows his ****. He was the one who brought Hoffenheim from nowhere to the first League, but then SAP / Dietmar Hopp weren't as ambitious as he was so RB asked him to do the same with Leipzig, and boy did he deliver again.

The hardcore fans despise Leipzig and yell "tradition" whenever they can but i call that a lot of bullshit. Leverkusen & Wolfsburg f.e. are company owned (Bayer, Volkswagen) and if Leipzig will stay in the 1st League for some decades noone will bring that argument anymore.
1. If there's no top flight team in the east so what? There are no teams from the Saarland or Schleswig-Holstein either. We can't just split the league among the regions so everyone can be happy, also as you mentioned Hertha are clearly an Eastern club.
2. It used to be large but now it's roughly the size of Sunderland's ground, hardly anything the league would miss if it weren't in there, there are numerous stadiums of teams in the second tier that are way bigger. Also if they hoped to make use of it they could've found a way to make an arrangement with Lok Leipzig or someone else instead of gifting it to Mateschitz.
3. Just like Chelsea and City are pumping massive money in infrastructure of several clubs as well. Teams like Schalke who have profited from Mansour's millions are investing his money into their own youth setups and with them it's not just a promise they'll unearth and nourish talented players. Also they're not propagating cans of cat piss in the process
4. Rangnick is a massive dickhead who can't stop running his mouth and was already a dickhead at Hoffenheim. I'm not sure what your argument here is, that's like listing Mourinho as a reason why Abramovich's "project" around 2004 wasn't all that bad.
5. Don't get this argument either, nobody in Germany likes Leverkusen or Wolfsburg and they are ridiculed to no end every match day. Even so the former two cannot be compared to Leipzig or Hoffenheim at all as the clubs have been founded by workers of two huge companies, both cities would be small villages if it weren't for those companies. There are many so called Werksteams in Europe, the most prominent one is probably PSV Eindhoven.

Red Bull are cancer, even without knowing what Mateschitz is all about just the number of sports teams and franchises they run. They have branches in the US, Ghana, Brazil and Austria plus a number of ice hockey teams and I think they run two Formula 1 teams now. We as Arsenal fans are going to see soon enough what it means for football when they finally find a Championship team they can acquire, they've been in discussions with Leeds, Charlton and Brentford already, last I've heard they've been in advanced talks with Swindon Town

OG J0E

"Rangnick is a massive dickhead who can't stop running his mouth and was already a dickhead at Hoffenheim."

Love the way Jones phrases things sometimes :lol:

Giroud

Established Member
Have no time for Red Bull but I respect the way they've managed the football side of Leipzig. They are at the forefront of science in football and data analytics. Gives me hope I could make it big one day. :lol:

Unlike Leicester the underlying data supports their results. We've seen Leicester regress to their level this year after overperforming last year but early indications are that Leipzig are going to be battling at the top for the foreseeable future. They shoot in locations like Bayern and Dortmund and concede few shots like them too. Lets see if they can keep this up.

Oh_Snap

1. If there's no top flight team in the east so what? There are no teams from the Saarland or Schleswig-Holstein either. We can't just split the league among the regions so everyone can be happy, also as you mentioned Hertha are clearly an Eastern club.

Saxony, Thüringen & Brandenburg are way larger compared to the tiny Saarland and the low populated Schleswig Holstein (3.5 mio people combinded). I didn't say that it was nescessary but it was logical and it's nice for the people there that are craving for 1st-League football. Chelsea & City are already in Citys with massive Clubs. Just wanted to point that out.

2. It used to be large but now it's roughly the size of Sunderland's ground, hardly anything the league would miss if it weren't in there, there are numerous stadiums of teams in the second tier that are way bigger. Also if they hoped to make use of it they could've found a way to make an arrangement with Lok Leipzig or someone else instead of gifting it to Mateschitz.

Sunderland is a first League-Team, before RB there was no 1st Team. How would gifting the stadium to some crap team would help how exactly?

3. Just like Chelsea and City are pumping massive money in infrastructure of several clubs as well. Teams like Schalke who have profited from Mansour's millions are investing his money into their own youth setups and with them it's not just a promise they'll unearth and nourish talented players. Also they're not propagating cans of cat piss in the process

Once again, different situation. London & Manchester are well developed in terms of football where as good as the whole east of germany isn't.

4. Rangnick is a massive dickhead who can't stop running his mouth and was already a dickhead at Hoffenheim. I'm not sure what your argument here is, that's like listing Mourinho as a reason why Abramovich's "project" around 2004 wasn't all that bad.

Well the thing about Rangnick ... that's just your opinion man :lol:. You can't throw around crazy money in germany like in england. Till now, Leipzig even had a salary cap (they wanna cancel it though). Look what players Mourinho had back then. You wont see that in Leipzig.

5. Don't get this argument either, nobody in Germany likes Leverkusen or Wolfsburg and they are ridiculed to no end every match day. Even so the former two cannot be compared to Leipzig or Hoffenheim at all as the clubs have been founded by workers of two huge companies, both cities would be small villages if it weren't for those companies. There are many so called Werksteams in Europe, the most prominent one is probably PSV Eindhoven.

I'll give you that one. VW actually had to be convinced bei the VFL to spend some more. But you might take a look at Augsburg f.e., they've got a nasty investor as well, and i guess you know the situation about the HSV - you may say about

Red Bull are cancer, even without knowing what Mateschitz is all about just the number of sports teams and franchises they run. They have branches in the US, Ghana, Brazil and Austria plus a number of ice hockey teams and I think they run two Formula 1 teams now. We as Arsenal fans are going to see soon enough what it means for football when they finally find a Championship team they can acquire, they've been in discussions with Leeds, Charlton and Brentford already, last I've heard they've been in advanced talks with Swindon Town

I did not know, they were active in england as well and i don't think it's nescessarily cancer. they want their share of the cake and why blame them? i mean, "fly emirates", come on ...? :)

OG J0E

Unlike Leicester the underlying data supports their results. We've seen Leicester regress to their level this year after overperforming last year but early indications are that Leipzig are going to be battling at the top for the foreseeable future. They shoot in locations like Bayern and Dortmund and concede few shots like them too. Lets see if they can keep this up.
Probably said this before but Leicester's stats last year were ridiculous - opponents' conversation rate was something like 3% over the season instead of the usual ~8%. Glad things have returned to normal now.

jones

Captain Serious
Trusted ⭐
Saxony, Thüringen & Brandenburg are way larger compared to the tiny Saarland and the low populated Schleswig Holstein (3.5 mio people combinded). I didn't say that it was nescessary but it was logical and it's nice for the people there that are craving for 1st-League football. Chelsea & City are already in Citys with massive Clubs. Just wanted to point that out.
People crave for first league football elsewhere too, nothing logical about it. On that basis you'd also have to appreciate Chinese investors buying players like Hulk or Alex Teixeira for millions because many people in China would like to watch them live too, not an argument for me to artificially create a club.

Sunderland is a first League-Team, before RB there was no 1st Team. How would gifting the stadium to some crap team would help how exactly?
That's exactly what happened though. RB Leipzig or whatever their name was before the club was bought was a fifth tier club who suddenly were propped up with millions and suddenly played in a stadium they have no relation with.

Well the thing about Rangnick ... that's just your opinion man :lol:. You can't throw around crazy money in germany like in england. Till now, Leipzig even had a salary cap (they wanna cancel it though). Look what players Mourinho had back then. You wont see that in Leipzig.

Leipzig spent 50m last summer alone, the biggest net spend in the league and that's when they were just promoted, it's not difficult to imagine what it'll be when they're more established. They bought Burke despite several EPL clubs being interested in him and they got Naby Keita without having to compete with anybody for his signature because he was already part of their franchise in Austria. In some aspects it's even worse than what Abramovich did in 2003.

Rimaal

Mesmerised By Raccoons
Trusted ⭐
Bayern are floundering. We are playing ugly disjointed football. Blunt in attack, headless in defence. First 45 were a mess today against Leverkusen.
1st half ends with 1 all.

I miss Pep sooooooooooo much.

Rimaal

Mesmerised By Raccoons
Trusted ⭐
Bayer 04 should have had a penalty for handball by Martinez. Refs didn't see it.

Last edited:

Rimaal

Mesmerised By Raccoons
Trusted ⭐
Bayern win 2-1 thanks to Hummels.

Terrible performance as is soon becoming usual for this season.

Rimaal

Mesmerised By Raccoons
Trusted ⭐
FYI (because many have asked the question; why are RB Leipzig so hated?)

This amounts to bullet points explanation and doesn't really cover the nuances of football culture in Germany, and what it means for football clubs to be of the community and for the community.

Rimaal

Mesmerised By Raccoons
Trusted ⭐
Bayern 5-0 Wolfsburg.

Wolfsburg is dire, but we're scoring ( and defending) again. YAY!

The goal from Douglas Costa was a beauty.

Last edited:

Arsenal Quotes

I knew we were very different, that he (Ferguson) had a total hold over his club while at that time I was still more of a coach. I also recognised his huge qualities. He knew how to surround himself with the right people and didn't rest on his laurels when he was successful.

Arsène Wenger: My Life in Red and White

Daily Transfer Updates

Sunday, May 19

RB Leipzig want to offer Benjamin Šeško a new contract to stay for one more year [Fabrizio Romano]

Arsenal are the negotiating table for Fenerbache LB Ferdi Kadıoğlu [Takvim via Sport_Witness]

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom