• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

UCL | Arsenal v Basel | 28th of September at 19:45 (GMT)

What will the result be for the match?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

4R5Emaniac

Always fresh from Bangladesh
Looks like Alexis was the best and the worst player on the pitch at the same time. Well played by Santi and Theo too. Tore them apart but just didn't take our chances. Lets hope the goals will come. Just an off day from Alexis in terms of finishing, really.

BobP

Memri Fan
Played excellent football.

It's clear that there's increased focus on positioning, spacing and having the right players in the right positions.

For example, on the right wing, you could see at times Bellerin and Walcott alternating with one another, with one underlapping or overlapping. There was this emphasis on maintaining width, in fact, at one point Özil was out there and he had a chance on his right foot after a Sanchez ball.

That map which showed player connections confirmed what I was discussing after the Hull game, we are intentionally overloading the left side so as to free up guys such as Bellerin and Walcott.

The squandering of chances was rather infuriating, a big score would have boosted our confidence, especially when you consider we haven't properly pummeled anybody by 5 goals + for a long time.

Obviously disappointed for Sanchez to, could have really announced himself as a striker with a hattrick.

We've been here before, we just need to keep the momentum up and continue working hard.

Aevi

Hale End FC
I don't think our missing chances was due to fantastic goalkeeping, the shots were kind of right to him. He did well to get into certain positions, but it's nothing I wouldn't expect.

I found it very interesting how Bellerin wasn't just moving far forward today, but even inwards. I wouldn't be surprised if this kind of "alternation" with Walcott were some sort of part 2 to this squad experiment, for times when we're controlling games and Bellerin being ready to defend isn't much of a necessity.

I'm expecting great things... if this comes off well and we challenge for the title all season (meaning 1st or 2nd and win some cup if we don't get 1st) at the very least, I'm all for Wenger extending his stay. His judgement of signings and using players effectively in systems (even if it takes a little time to experiment) really is up there. He's showing he's still got it right now (and the problem was people thought he was found out), so if this continues, there is no reason he should leave. Besides the "leaving Arsenal on a high" thing.

North5

Here since 2009. Unlike Cornavirus.

Just watched ESPN FC and Gab Marcotti says that there was only one match this round that was one sided and that we could've scores 10 or 12 goals.

That brought a tear to my eye and I don't even have tear ducks.

cryingrubberduck.jpg

Wilshere's Right

Wonderful stuff. Don't remember the last time we played like that. It was like Arsenal of old. Ruthless but beautiful.

This team has something special. People saying it's a purple patch or that they seen this before with Arsenal are wrong. This isn't a fluke or a streak, you can see there is something there. The fact is we've had a great team for a couple of years but it takes time to get all the pieces right and for it to gel. Looks like we found those last missing pieces.

Couple of points on the game:
Mustafi is excellent. From day one he's come in and be superb. Really like him.

Xhaka will be a top player but he hasn't settled yet and looks to be playing very cautiously right now. Can't wait for him to open up.

Am I the only one who thought Santi didn't have a good game? He kept misplacing passes and slowed things down. He's normally great but thought he was poor.

What I love about the new Alexis is his passing. We that we know he can finish so not worried about the misses. But his passing was Özil like and has been all season. Considering his passing was pretty woeful when he came this is a huge improvement. He's become the complete player.

Oh boy, Theo. Ecstatic for the lad. He's hungry, aggressive and his finishing is great, especially for the 2nd goal. Calm and lethal. Surprised Wenger took him off actually because he was playing well (and had just created the sanchez chance).

Iwobi really is an unbelievable player and mature beyond his years. But he was off tonight. Made some good movement and was involved in a couple of plays but it's no coincidence that most of the play went down the right. He needs a rest.

I want to see perez at the weekend.

haha_arsenal

Özil in the last 10 minutes was unacceptable
:mad:
freaking lazy, just sell him please.

I love that moment when Iwobi has the ball, runs up toward their goal with pace,
Alexis to hos left, Walcott to his right and he just shoots it.
this kid is gonna be huge.

SuperGoon

Debbie Downer

Player:Saka
Here's ESPN FC talking Arsenal (10 min mark)

They completely lost me when they said Silva was a good player and they were surprised on the "few" occasions when he didn't turn up. After that everything they said just seemed forced nonsense.

But I'm fine with this. Usually our boys collapse when they have pressure of expectation on them so I'll go for as long as possible with the media doubting us. Keep us out of your title race as long as possible.

Rimaal

Mesmerised By Raccoons
Trusted ⭐
Özil in the last 10 minutes was unacceptable
:mad:
freaking lazy, just sell him please.

I love that moment when Iwobi has the ball, runs up toward their goal with pace,
Alexis to hos left, Walcott to his right and he just shoots it.
this kid is gonna be huge.
:rolleyes:

ScotVieira

Established Member
The performance was about Theo and Alexis. They set the tone for what how we played yesterday. Alexis always fired up and he finally found someone to compliment his hunger.

That is the way we need to approach each game.

That is not to take away from the others. Everyone was really good.

Sapient Hawk

Can You Smell What The Hawk Is Cooking?
Trusted ⭐

Missed the match in real time due to a social obligation but had the forsight to record it for later viewing. A masterful display even though showed some wear & tear.

I'm so happy Walcott has grabbed his opportunity by the scruff of its neck & hopefully he's realized you don't have to play as a striker to contribute, just put in a good shift, apply your strengths to the betterment of the team & you'll eventually get those chances.

This team was always good but lacked the mettle & conviction which, if the last couple of displays are anything to go by, are now found in abundance. More of the same against Burnley please!

Giroud

Established Member
Didn't see the game but the expected goals map I saw showed us creating a load of quality chances yet again. We've been on fire since the PSG game.

Gooner Zig

AM's Resident Accountant
Trusted ⭐

Looks like Alexis was the best and the worst player on the pitch at the same time. Well played by Santi and Theo too. Tore them apart but just didn't take our chances. Lets hope the goals will come. Just an off day from Alexis in terms of finishing, really.

Sorry but only someone who only watched highlights can make that statement.

IIRC Alexis missed one chance that he should have buried in the second half but the rest were down to some top saves by their keeper.

Penn_

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
BT really need to get better match directors. They must hire people will zero football knowledge as they always cut away on key moments on counters.

4R5Emaniac

Always fresh from Bangladesh
Sorry but only someone who only watched highlights can make that statement.

IIRC Alexis missed one chance that he should have buried in the second half but the rest were down to some top saves by their keeper.
I did only watch the highlights only. And well thats why I said "looks like" instead of a more certain opinion. You could've just said you're in the mood to argue over something. Anyway, with Alexis, those chances are most of the time goals. What else major did he do as the striker along from off the ball work apart from whats on the highlights? Yep. But still will watch the game later tonight for a better look, anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arsenal Quotes

A player's true character is in how he plays and not in his social life. You can hide your real personality in your social life, You cannot on the field.

Arsène Wenger
Top Bottom