• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Unai Emery: Adios

Status
Not open for further replies.

Makingtrax

Worships in the house of Wenger 🙏
Trusted ⭐

Player:Saliba
Sure a team can only attack once and score. But they still need to keep the opposition out at the other end. We got 1 goal at Anfield, but let in 5 at the other end. Organisation throughout a game still matters because one swallow doesn't make a summer. I agree a mistaken red card can change a game but that is its own situation. But when a team wins a match 11 vs 11, no bullshit red cards or penalties, that just speaks to quality on the day.

I'm not saying that Newcastle are a better team than City or that Rafa is better than Guardiola. Just that on the day of the match, anything can happen regardless of squad cost. That's football.

I'm talking about individual matches, not the entire league table. I've said about 5 times now I accept that clubs who spend more, in truth and fact wage bill is more important, anyway rich clubs will always end up above clubs with less cash.

That isn't my bone of contention. The part bolded is just plain wrong. You can't just dismiss a manager and team's effort on the day as being just luck. Sometimes a lower team's manager can best a better manager. It happens, that's football. It happened to Wenger too, sometimes your opposite number just prepares his team better and gets his tactics spot on.

Newcastle's quality means they're at the bottom of the league but at the end of the day every player in their squad is a pro footballer. It isn't beyond the realm of possibility that just for 90 minutes, just once they can put in a good performance and win a game.

Every time a big team loses isn't down to bad luck. Sometimes you just get beaten by the better team on the day. Simple as that
We’ll have to disagree on this.

Most teams lower down in the league approach City in the same way. They defend and hope they can hold out long enough to get the occasional breakaway, or maybe score from a set piece. Most don’t manage it, very occasionally one does, usually because the City strikers miss the target, when normally they’re so clinical or the lower team get lucky. It’s not because they’re the better team on the day. How can the Newcastle team be better than City, even on one day?

Jae

A good manager does what Solksjaer is doing with the same players Mourinho could not.

Please... :rolleyes:

It's less to do with Solksjaer and more to do with the fact the players had downed tools on Mourinho (not to take anything away from Solksjaer but his managerial career has been thoroughly average prior to United). He's got them playing well but lets not forget that exact same team finished 2nd in the league last season when all the players were on board.

Emery is not a good manager for Arsenal for me, and we never will do well with him. At least not for winning titles. He has no Arsenal DNA...

What in god's earth does this even mean? Are you referring to the fact that he doesn't play Wengerball? I love Wenger more than most, but I'm sorry dude, we were Arsenal before him and we are Arsenal after him.

L3T5 PL4Y

Flair Accuser
Reread the ‘Numbers Game’ again, the last few days as I’ve had flu, where they analyse thousands of football matches.

There’s an interesting section where the authors argue that weaker players have a bigger effect on a team’s performance than stronger ones.

This means that a team like Arsenal have been doing the wrong thing by spending large sums on a few stars like the likes of Özil and Sanchez, whilst patching up defensive areas with freebies and cheaper players. This has been going on for years and is still happening now. . . PEA and Laca v Lich and Kola. Even defensive midfielders eg Elneny, Coquelin, and the return of Flamini.

Clubs would be better spreading what money they have throughout the team. And it suggests that Emery won’t progress until Sanllehi addresses the weakest links.
The thing is you have to a hit a balance all over. Players too far apart in their overall qualities and nature don't mix well. A balanced squad imo is more likely to go the distance over a whole season against a team loaded with stars but with holes in the squad.

El Duderino

That's, like, your opinion, man.
We had one of the worst second half displays only a couple of matches ago against City.

No excuses against BATE. Probably the worst game under Emery.

We went pretty much all in, bar Aubameyang and lost. This should've been an easy fixture to win and rest players on the return leg.

If we keep being this lethargic, we could be out of the race for top 4 before we face Sp**s and United.

Can't see this lot winning the EL.

Bergkamp1988

During our winning streak we were playing ugly direct football but it was acceptable because the results were there. We played badly but were pressing so well a'd getting the ball back quickly. It was exciting. For those like me who were envious at the way Athletico Madrid beat us many times, it felt like we were on the verge of becoming this kind of '' badass high pressing taking names, getting the job done'' team. I thought.. " alrighty, That'll be a change, why not, let's change our DNA"

But right now it's ugly direct football, not impressive pressure and no results.
If I'm gonna lose games, i' d like it to at least be with some sort of dignity

ptrcopp

The players are no longer fighting in any game.

It’s no surprise when the best players are consistently left out and the manager is using the same system when it consistently isn’t working

Yousif Arsenal

On Vinai's payroll & misses 4th place trophy 🏆
Trusted ⭐
His worst day in arsenal.

He need to change the formation back to whatever he was doing earlier this season.

El Duderino

That's, like, your opinion, man.
I'm still looking to give him time.

But how long until we can safely start airing concerns without being seen as overly negative? I have to say, I don't think he's done a terrible job - far from it - but I'm also a long way from being convinced.

You can do it now? You can still want to give him time and another window while being critical of what has been a season with a lot of sub-par performances.

Not at all convinced he's the right man for the job, as I've stated before, but I am willing to give him time and get his additions in. If we're in the same position this time next season, I think he'll very likely get the sack.

A_G

Rice Rice Baby 🎼🎵
I'm still looking to give him time.

But how long until we can safely start airing concerns without being seen as overly negative? I have to say, I don't think he's done a terrible job - far from it - but I'm also a long way from being convinced.
I think the next 4 weeks are huge for him, they might even define the seasin. March 14 is the Round of 16 2nd leg, you'd hope the club would've advanced through to the quarterfinals of the EL plus you have two huge league games against Sp**s and United. If we're still toiling by then, questions will be asked for sure.

dka1

100% Dark Chocolate
Trusted ⭐

Of course...he still needs time but this is turning from very worrying to he needs to get his sh!t together and soon.

I'm not buying the "he needs his player" narrative either, we look so weak and timid against teams we should be better than.

I understand that our defenders are frankly not good enough, but then we make it worse by setting up so bizarrely against teams we should look to dominate and instead of taking the pressure away from our defence we invite it.

Not good.

Bergkamp1988

It looks like we might be going on a real downward spiral. I know it's early to say. But a couple more disappointing results like this in a row, and it don't think the team will have the will to lift themselves up again. Emery needs to change something quick. It's starting to look like a deeper problem then '' just a rough patch".

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arsenal Quotes

I still have an interest in training and development, in the stages that make it possible for players first to acquire technique (between 7 and 12) and then to develop physically (between 12 and 16), then to deepen their mental resilience (between 17 and 19) and finally between 19 and 22 to acquire what is critical, like the roof of a house without which all the rest rots away: intelligence and motivation

Arsène Wenger: My Life in Red and White

Latest posts

Top Bottom