• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Arsène Wenger: Same Old Class

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ceballinhos

Cheating on Santi
Yeah, true. I guess most us would love for us to play some sexy football again but for me as well its important we focus on results first for now.

Allegri for that reason would be a great choice if Wenger leaves. He gets results, is pragmatic, brave and unconventional as well as highly experienced with pressure. He could give us very strong foundations on top of what Wenger would leave behind.

Actually, I'm pretty happy that we get linked to Allegri frequently because I had this vision some time ago- Allegri for 3 to 5 years and then Montella(plays sexy footy) for the next 3 to 5 years. Gazidis spoke of following the Bayern way. That sort of planning, team building and management choices is what has built this monster of a club.

But we're nowhere near Bayern.
When they got trashed by one of the best Barcelona side in history in 2009 (5-1 on agreggate) they've said "Never again, this result is unacceptable".
They've built back their club in 3 years to become one of the most powerful team in Europe.

But we haven't seen anyone speaking about yesterday humiliation. Wenger blames the referee.

“From my point of view, the match was a great disappointment,” he told uefa.com after the game.

“It is difficult to explain. The key was to fight for every ball but two goals early in the game did a lot of damage and we did not fight hard enough.

“We need to overcome the criticism. It is a very hard defeat and difficult to digest.”

But the former German international striker also credited and heaped praise on Bayern's opponents.

“Barcelona played very well and showed our limitations. It is quite possible that we have just played against the future champions of Europe,” he said. “[Lionel] Messi is a great player and it’s a pleasure to see him playing.

“We want to be among the four best teams in Europe but we have a lot of improving to do. It is very difficult to compensate for the absences of important players like Lucio, [Daniel] van Buyten and [Philipp] Lahm.

“Now, we must concentrate on the fight for the Bundesliga title and ensure we are in the Champions League again next season.”

“What I saw in the first half was without a doubt the worst football Bayern have played in their entire history,” he said after the match.

“It was an exhibition. Almost a humiliation. Barcelona gave us a lesson in football.”

Die Roten chairman Karl-Heinze Rummenigge, meanwhile, refused to comment on the future of under-fire coach Jurgen Klinsmann but instead rallied his side to bounce back on the domestic front.

“We have no chance in the Champions League now, that is obvious,” he boomed.

See the difference?

Last edited:

GDeep™

League is very weak
I do miss the football we used to play more than I thought I would tbh. I'd love our future success to built on that, but it has to have a foundation just like the one Graham laid and Wenger benefited from when he arrived here, and if that means brutalising our way to a title first, I'll take it.
Graham signed Vieira and Petit? That partnerships won us the title, everyone from back then openly say so.

Hunter Zolomon

But we're nowhere near Bayern.
When they got trashed by one of the best Barcelona side in history in 2009 (5-1 on agreggate) they've said "Never again, this result is unacceptable".
They've built back their club in 3 years to become one of the most powerful team in Europe.

But we haven't seen anyone speaking about yesterday humiliation. Wenger blames the referee.

“From my point of view, the match was a great disappointment,” he told uefa.com after the game.

“It is difficult to explain. The key was to fight for every ball but two goals early in the game did a lot of damage and we did not fight hard enough.

“We need to overcome the criticism. It is a very hard defeat and difficult to digest.”

But the former German international striker also credited and heaped praise on Bayern's opponents.

“Barcelona played very well and showed our limitations. It is quite possible that we have just played against the future champions of Europe,” he said. “[Lionel] Messi is a great player and it’s a pleasure to see him playing.

“We want to be among the four best teams in Europe but we have a lot of improving to do. It is very difficult to compensate for the absences of important players like Lucio, [Daniel] van Buyten and [Philipp] Lahm.

“Now, we must concentrate on the fight for the Bundesliga title and ensure we are in the Champions League again next season.”

See the difference?
Best post so far and no amount of arguments about squad costs can refute that.

El Duderino

That's, like, your opinion, man.
It's beyond a joke, reading back one of Gazidis' comments that the fans will ultimately decide upon Wenger's future.

How unbelievably thick and cowardly is that?
What is he getting paid for, if those that are paying (the fans) are to decide the future of the manager, when it all comes down to meeting tragets, evaluating success, honoring or criticizing his performance - a job the Board Members are there to do and paid to.

What the f...?

"We can compete with Bayern on a financial level" Hard to take him seriously when we all know that what comes out of his mouth is straight from a Linkedin profile or a Powerpoint presentation. Specially with that accent of his. You know, the American who's trying REALLY hard no to sound like a brit (but we all know he's actually trying to sound like one).

mm76

Yer Da
How we can lose 1-5 and then come out complaining about the referee.

well both things are true - the ref had a shocker and did things that were totally in Bayern's favour, but that then exposed our own lack of leadership and resilience

or more simply, the ref caused us to show how cr*p we can be...

Sapient Hawk

Destiny's Hand 🖐🏿
Trusted ⭐

It is a good record for 2nd tier team in the England and 3rd tier club in Europe.

Arsenal is just Premier League counterpart to Valencia in La Liga.

You do the Valencia of old a great disservice. They reached 2 champions league finals back to back with a squad that, for all it's flair & technical ability, was not a patch on our side at the time.

Yet they did the feat I just mentioned on meager funds compared to the two behemoths who occupy the top two spots whilst we had to sacrifice our usual style for one that seemed avante garde for both Arsenal & Arsène at the time. What do we have to show for it? 1 final appearance in 20 under his reign. Catastrophic.

CaseUteinberger

Established Member

well both things are true - the ref had a shocker and did things that were totally in Bayern's favour, but that then exposed our own lack of leadership and resilience

or more simply, the ref caused us to show how cr*p we can be...
Only problem it isn't very relevant. Yes, it happened in the same game, but that is about it. It's like beating up your wife and then in front of the judge in your defence bringing up her poor cooking. Yes, both topics involve your wife but that is about it. We did not lose three times in a row 5-1 to Bayern because of the refs, injuries to Kos etc. etc. The real problem is Wenger and the board. Period! Let's not reach for straws.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arsenal Quotes

There's a minute on the clock left for Arenal. Brady for Arsenal.... right across, Sunderland... IT'S THERE! I do not believe it, I SWEAR I do not believe it!

Peter Jones on the goal against United in the 79 cup final

Daily Transfer Updates

Friday, May 31

Arsenal are interested in Benfica CB Antonio Silva, but will have to trigger his £85m release clause to sign the 20 year old [Correio de Manha]

Youngster Charles Sagoe Jr is set for a loan spell at League One side Charlton Athletic [Online Gooner]

Arsenal have moved on to targeting Benfica midfielder Joao Neves after Martin Zubamendi indicated a preference to remain in La Liga [Teamtalk]

Liverpool, Arsenal and Bayern Munich have all made an approach to PSV forward Johan Bakayoko [Hbvl]

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom