• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Riyad Mahrez

Status
Not open for further replies.

Penn_

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
Where was his talent until the age of 24? He wasn't a great talent before. He had his first good season in the briliant Leicester season. Surprsingly Vardy too.

I don't want to say he is a one season wonder, but 15/16 nearly every Leicester player played above their potential.

Okay, Kante proved his form at Chelsea. Mahrez was solid last year, not more. I'm not convinced he can player another year like 15/16.

At 24 he would have been adjusting to a massive step up in league. Just because someone hasn't dominated by a certain age doesn't make them crap. Drogba moved to Chelsea at his age ffs.

If Kante can further prove himself in a defensive unit such as Chelsea, I don't see why Mahrez can do the same in an attacking team such as ourselves.

benjamin86

Established Member
Drogba joined Chelsea at 26, Ian Wright didnt join AFC until 28.

I don't think you can use age against Mahrez.

What you can say against Mahrez is he seems like a fair weather player, when the teams playing well he looks awesome, when it's not he's not the type of player to put the team on his back and win a game by himself.

celestis

Arsenal-Mania Veteran

At 24 he would have been adjusting to a massive step up in league. Just because someone hasn't dominated by a certain age doesn't make them crap. Drogba moved to Chelsea at his age ffs.

If Kante can further prove himself in a defensive unit such as Chelsea, I don't see why Mahrez can do the same in an attacking team such as ourselves.

Incredible underestimated Mahrez has become. A season and a half ago posters were convinced he was better than all our wide options. Now hes trash.

BobP

Memri Fan
Incredible underestimated Mahrez has become. A season and a half ago posters were convinced he was better than all our wide options. Now hes trash.

Look, Mahrez is an incredibly talented footballer but that doesn't mean he doesn't have his downsides.

1. He's not that intelligent.
2. There are serious question marks regarding his ability to integrate within team structures.
3. There are also serious question marks regarding his work rate and commitment.

If you watched Leicester in their title winning season, Mahrez was almost divorced from the broader structures of the team. In other words, he was isolated. But his brilliant ability meant that that was of little consequence as he was able to break through just about every teams defense.

My point is that in a Leicester team with very little flair or individual quality, it becomes necessary to accommodate a player like that but how much does a team like Arsenal need Mahrez?

If this is true, Arsenal are playing their cards smart.

All we need to do is retain our interest in Lemar then if Monaco are refusing to budge, make a public lowball offer for Mahrez (like Suarez) which will definitely get rejected....

Then just grab the popcorn (Mahrez will hand in a transfer request)
He already has. Just get yer hands in yer pockets and pay up, for once!

Slartibartfast

CIES Loyalist
Where was his talent until the age of 24? He wasn't a great talent before. He had his first good season in the briliant Leicester season. Surprsingly Vardy too.

I don't want to say he is a one season wonder, but 15/16 nearly every Leicester player played above their potential.

Okay, Kante proved his form at Chelsea. Mahrez was solid last year, not more. I'm not convinced he can player another year like 15/16.

Ian Wright thought his career was a bust at 22, didn't make his Premier League debut until he was 26, signed for Arsenal at 28 and became the club's all-time leading goal scorer. And I guess you'd be surprised how common that sort of story is. Didier Drogba comes to mind. Luca Toni didn't have his breakthrough season with Palermo until he was 26 and didn't do it in Serie A until he was 28.

al-Ustaadh

👳‍♂️ Figuring out how to delete my account 👳‍♂️
I can see us bringing in both if Lemar is viewed as a CM, which has been my position.

Is it too much to dream for Mbappe, Lacazette, Lemar, and Mahrez? While keeping Sanchez and Özil? :(

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arsenal Quotes

You kind of never leave Arsenal. How many comebacks do you make? At one point it will turn out to be a bad move. We all love the first Rocky but I'm not too sure about the last one.

Thierry Henry

Daily Transfer Updates

Friday, May 17

Cedric and Mohamed Elneny will leave the clubs when their contracts expire this summer [Fabrizio Romano]

Newcastle have joined Arsenal and Liverpool in the race to sign Barcelona winger Raphinha [TBR Football]

Arsenal are keen on Benfica’s 21 year old striker Marcos Leonardo [TBR Football]

Aaron Ramsdale denies agreement to join Newcastle:

Talks have progressed over a deal to take Ramsdale to Newcastle, in a potential £15m deal [Luke Edwards and Sam Dean - Telegraph]

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom