• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

PL | Manchester City v Arsenal | 5th November 2017 | 14:15 GMT | Sky Sports

• Thread starter A_G
  • Start date
  • Replies 1,533
  • Views 122,381

Match Prediction

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jury

A-M's drunk uncle
@Makingtrax Off the top of your head, can you think of one big piece good fortune we've had this season? I.e, players lucky to not get a red, a dodgy pen in our favour or offside goals?

Fallout

i'll bet arsenalist.com will have saved all of the contentious decisions as a mini-highlight ... if anyone has the motivation to go through each game and make a compilation of all the decisions for and against

BobP

Memri Fan
I know a lot of stuff doesn't go our way. I've always maintained that. It seems like it's been happening ever since Wenger started doing well. Im just saying it's very likely that it's nowhere near as bad as you or I might think.

Every year I think about doing a thread that highlights our good fortune and shaftings, so we can have a count up. But I never bother.

You could be right, but when things do go against us, it's often in the big games and at decisive moments

Go back to that United game in 04/05 where Rooney dived for a penalty. Or the fact that Ferdinand wasn't given his marching orders for tackling Ljungberg as the last man. Or that CL quarter final against Liverpool where Kuyt basically rugby tackled Hleb in the box only for the referee to not give a penalty. Didn't stop him from giving a penalty to Liverpool after Babel dived. How about RVP's red card against Barca in 2010/2011, or the fact that Abidal was going around throttling Arsenal players in that with no consequences.

And these are just off the top of my head.

My point is that it is truly staggering the number of times we've been shafted by the officials at critical moments in big games.

Aevi

Hale End FC
As a fan, I feel we're in such a lose-lose situation atm. Realistically, our best chances at silverware are through the cups but that's not enough for me and it'd give the club an excuse to keep managing itself in the same way. On the other hand, what would make the club change its ways is complete failure which would be dreadful as we're about to have to replace one or two of our best players, and need something to attract quality replacements.

So either we keep stagnating or we start free-falling. Can anyone envision a realistic scenario in which we start competing at the top level again in the near future?

I might be wrong, but I have the feeling Etihad fans, the ones that go to games anyway, are rather embarrassed by their financial doping. They were silent for 85 minutes. We might only win FA Cups but that means more then them winning the league. .
We are Manchester City fans, not Etihad fans, and you very, very wrong.
As for silent, not a chance, I was in 115 as always today, South Stand lower, and it was pretty decent. As for the 'means more' comment, wrong again.

Aevi

Hale End FC
I have often defended Coquelin because he gets a lot of unnecessary stick, but it says a lot when he's the answer we've got to try and nullify our rivals. For me, it is acknowledgement that we can't compete and have to change our identity to have a chance at a point. It's what smaller clubs have to do.

I mean I get that there are tweaks you have to make to outplay bigger clubs, but that lineup was just desperation.

Aevi

Hale End FC
Not having that, Arsenal absolutely are one of the elite clubs. At the moment. You are, however in danger of losing that, and that will bring it's own problems in regards to signing top class players and being able to step up the ladder again.
I mean it depends on how you define "elite teams". For me, it is the teams competing for the title in a top 5 league in the past 5-10 years, and we just haven't been doing that. We can only hang on to who we were in the early 2000s for so long.

We still are by far one of the best teams in all of Europe, but with how this season is going, how the previous ones have gone, and how our best players are on the way out come this summer, we have a hell of a rebuilding job on our hands. I'm not convinced we'll be able to attract top quality players for that new project, let alone afford them.

Enjoyed the game today, Arsenal started very well, the first ten minutes you looked really good, it seemed to me like Pep told us to sit and wait and try and work out Arsenal's tactics during that period, then stepped up a gear and passed our way through it.

Had a read through this thread, some great posts, and very interesting comments/observations when ignoring the usual tribal comments (to be expected and applauded).

It absolutely WAS a penalty, and we could/should have had another in the first half when Kolasinac shoved Sterling when in to meet a cross.

The offside goal was laughable, ref's assistant has to spot that, terrible for you.

Wengers post match comments were a disgrace, for a man that has been in his position for so long, to come out with that, was just not on.

We didn't play well today, a lot of that was due to the way you set up against us but de Bruyne/Silva/Sane were all well below par.

As regards Arsenal, the likes of Iwobi, Xhaka, Coquelin should be nowhere near the starting line-up of a club of the stature of Arsenal, Özil, Ramsey and Sanchez were not up to scratch too, during this game.

Thought Koscielny was outstanding for you, I'd certainly swap him for Otamendi, although Nicolas has been doing well this season.

Great to see manyoo getting beat too, all in all, a very good day at the office.

redanddread

The stone that the builders refuse
You could be right, but when things do go against us, it's often in the big games and at decisive moments

Go back to that United game in 04/05 where Rooney dived for a penalty. Or the fact that Ferdinand wasn't given his marching orders for tackling Ljungberg as the last man. Or that CL quarter final against Liverpool where Kuyt basically rugby tackled Hleb in the box only for the referee to not give a penalty. Didn't stop him from giving a penalty to Liverpool after Babel dived. How about RVP's red card against Barca in 2010/2011, or the fact that Abidal was going around throttling Arsenal players in that with no consequences.

And these are just off the top of my head.

My point is that it is truly staggering the number of times we've been shafted by the officials at critical moments in big games.

truly staggering! :mad::(

Andrey-Arshavin-is-tackle-002.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arsenal Quotes

There's a minute on the clock left for Arenal. Brady for Arsenal.... right across, Sunderland... IT'S THERE! I do not believe it, I SWEAR I do not believe it!

Peter Jones on the goal against United in the 79 cup final

Latest posts

Top Bottom