• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Arsenal Tactics Talk

Emmanueleboue2

I think one of our biggest problem is that we are to static in midfield. Cazorla could run past 2 players easiliy and create something on the counter. Wilshere can do that but not as well.
We need 2 new cms to break down pressure, someone mobile and good on the ball. The transition from defense to attack is way too slow, and that is cause of problems in midfield with mobility.
This would solve around 70% of our problems. Xhaka/elneny/ramsey they all dwell on the ball way too long. We need at least 2 high quality midfieilders who can do this and still do defensive work. We also need someone on the wing with high energy levels who is direct and a goal threat(leon bailley for instance).
Fred at Shaktar is interesting
Lucas torrera another one.
S.M.Savic another one
Fabinho another one.
Any suggestions?

new gk
Bellerin mustafi kos monreal
Torrera Fred Wilshere
Bailley Auba özil

OSBK

Established Member
We have a big choice to make. See today if we had said to mhky, auba and Özil stay up top and dont chase back then Sp**s have to keep at least 5 back. Today the 2 cb's and delemble sat back and the rest piled forward. Mhky playing lb, I dont remember son at lb during the game.

We dont have the personnel to play sit back soak it up for 90 mins, we dont have the personnel to play dominate for 90 mins. But we do have the personnel to play you score 3 we will score 5.

YeahBee

Terrible hot takes
We have a big choice to make. See today if we had said to mhky, auba and Özil stay up top and dont chase back then Sp**s have to keep at least 5 back. Today the 2 cb's and delemble sat back and the rest piled forward. Mhky playing lb, I dont remember son at lb during the game.

We dont have the personnel to play sit back soak it up for 90 mins, we dont have the personnel to play dominate for 90 mins. But we do have the personnel to play you score 3 we will score 5.

any wonder he had to play LB? cover for that waste of a space Monreal

Aevi

Hale End FC
Cech
Bellerin - Mustafi - Kosc - Monreal
AMN - Ramsey
Mkhi - Özil - Wilshere
Aubameyang
Standard backline. Midfield of Ramsey and AMN where Ramsey can make his threatening runs and AMN provides defensive ability with his pace and defensive ability. Özil central where he is best, Mkhi on the right instead of the left (he has looked much more comfortable there, and that's where he played in his crazy season for Dortmund), Wilshere on he left where he can dribble and give us Wengerball-esque linkup with Özil and Ramsey, and Auba up front.

Divided_Pie

We can't play the 4-3-3 with no wingers. With his new contract, the team should be built around Özil. With current personnel that means 4-2-3-1.

If I never see Xhaka take the field again in Arsenal Kit I would be a happy man. Iwobi's growth has stagnated and he hasn't done enough to keep his place, especially with top-4 in the league now out of reach. I actually don't mind Elneny but I'd like to see Ramsey and Wilshere in the middle together which could help determine the outcome of their next contracts

First 11:
Cech
Ramsey - Wilshere
Mkhi - Özil - Nelson
Aubameyang
Bench:
Ospina
Holding
Elneny
AMN
Iwobi
Welbeck
Lacazette

krackpot

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
Cech
AMN - Ramsey
Mkhi - Özil - Wilshere
Aubameyang
Standard backline. Midfield of Ramsey and AMN where Ramsey can make his threatening runs and AMN can anchor the midfield with his pace and defensive ability. Özil central where he is best, Mkhi on the right instead of the left (he has looked much more comfortable there, and that's where he played in his crazy season for Dortmund), Wilshere on he left where he can dribble and give us Wengerball-esque linkup with Özil and Ramsey, and Auba up front.
I like this just for the fact that Özil and Mkhi are closer.

I don't know if it is a good thing or bad, but against Sp*rs, they were too far apart and this must have made them easier to defend.

Also, Wilsh has just started linking up with Özil, and hopefully we will be much much better offensively.

Zaza

Can we admit how sorely we missed Ramsey?? Personally I'd have started Iwobi/Welbeck since he wasn't going to play.
Elneny - Xhaka together was a disgrace. It hurt my soul seeing Ozik drop back to dictate play when Xhaka was still on. What was the point?? If we were going to switch to 4-3-3, we should never have sold Coquelin.

field442

Hates Journalists Named James
Trusted ⭐
AMN is not a defensive midfielder so I don’t know why people keep thinking he can play there. His main weakness playing at left wing back is his positioning and losing his man. He’s not a defensive player. Ideally he’s a box-to-box midfielder. Playing him at DM is more square pegs (as well as stunting his natural attacking game).

Zaza

AMN is not a defensive midfielder so I don’t know why people keep thinking he can play there. His main weakness playing at left wing back is his positioning and losing his man. He’s not a defensive player. Ideally he’s a box-to-box midfielder. Playing him at DM is more square pegs (as well as stunting his natural attacking game).
Yep agreed. He's a box to box but you know Wenger. He'll convert him to a DM because of his technique. Wenger will never go for a pure destroyer

DanDare

Emoji Merchant and Believer-In-Chief
Trusted ⭐

Player:Saliba
Tactical approach is wrong from front to back. Need a complete overhaul.

The job of tactics is to make a team greater than the sum of its parts, the three sode of the coin is poor tactics nulllifies the qualities players possess

This season has been spent almost exclusively on that side of the coin

Fallout

^ that video is so useful and exposes what the real problem is: our management doesnt have any tactical ideas for how to defend. we started the game with a high line, didnt work. after getting caught by the long ball several times, we decide to park the bus, didnt work. why dont we have any middle ground? all we know how to do is shift between the two extremes of defending, which highlights the lack of sophistication in our defensive knowledge.

BobP

Memri Fan
https://spielverlagerung.de/2018/02/12/arsenal-steckt-fest/

Spielverlagerung rarely analyse Arsenal games anymore. There was a time when they did but after a couple of exasperated sounding articles, written a few years ago, which lamented our tactical problems, they just seemed to give up on us. That exasperation comes through in this article, particularly in the conclusion.

It's also very interesting how they credit Mkhitaryan with being the only player who made us look threatening, praising his tactical awareness.

Edit: They also noted that stupid thing our midfielders do when they charge from their line to press a CB, leaving a big gaping hole.

Last edited:

Preacher

Always Crying
https://spielverlagerung.de/2018/02/12/arsenal-steckt-fest/

Spielverlagerung rarely analyse Arsenal games anymore. There was a time when they did but after a couple of exasperated sounding articles, written a few years ago, which lamented our tactical problems, they just seemed to give up on us. That exasperation comes through in this article, particularly in the conclusion.

It's also very interesting how they credit Mkhitaryan with being the only player who made us look threatening, praising his tactical awareness.

Edit: They also noted that stupid thing our midfielders do when they charge from their line to press a CB, leaving a big gaping hole.
Is this tactical analysis exist in English ? It'd nice to read it.

Arsenal Quotes

The English codified the rules of football just as the French perfected wine. We don't often ask an English person to come over to make Bordeaux.

Arsène Wenger: My Life in Red and White
Top Bottom