• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Arsène Wenger: Same Old Class

Status
Not open for further replies.

BobP

Memri Fan
If Wenger will manage to remain manager after this season, then it's official we have the worst, most clueless and naive board in the footballing world.

I'm certain he'll leave.

Judging by the noise that was coming out of the club at the end of last season, I doubt we'd opt to go into the 2018-2019 season with a manager who has a single year remaining on his contract. They noted the negative impact the uncertainty had.

Trilly

Hates A-M, Saka, Arteta and You
Trusted ⭐

@Makingtrax Does it bother you when we lose games?

I'm not even being sneaky here, I just don't get the vibe you care too much due to your admiration of Wenger. I feel like you'll care much more about losses when Wenger isn't manager.

El Granit-Coq

Established Member
I'm certain he'll leave.

Judging by the noise that was coming out of the club at the end of last season, I doubt we'd opt to go into the 2018-2019 season with a manager who has a single year remaining on his contract. They noted the negative impact the uncertainty had.
They will most likely extend it. As much as it hurts most people, I don't see Wenger leaving anytime soon. Özil would not have signed on if Wenger was gone this summer.

Finishing below Sp**s with a superior team two seasons in a row must hurt though.

Trilly

Trusted ⭐

Keown said something fascinating a while ago, about the time he was doing his coaching badges at Arsenal. He said that he noticed one of the defenders making the same mistake in multiple games, so he asked Wenger if he could sit down with the player and go over some video clips with him to show him how to improve. Wenger said no and told Keown that if you show/tell a player their mistakes, they'll start thinking about it on the pitch and it'll make them more nervous.

Small anecdote but it provides an interesting insight into Wenger's coaching philosophy.
This. Explains. Everything.

It's also one of the stupidest things I've ever read, doesn't this go against the exact definition of coaching?:lol:

El Granit-Coq

Established Member

I'm not even being sneaky here, I just don't get the vibe you care too much due to your admiration of Wenger. I feel like you'll care much more about losses when Wenger isn't manager.
Just an alternative response before he does. The amount of hate spewed in here at times when we lose kind of drains the negativity out of you and you start to notice the drivel that some people are trying to push.

It becomes less about feelings of loss than it is about people insulting the manager or wishing death threats. Some people can't deal with illogical thinking so that could be why losses come second to logic.
My 2 pence.

field442

Hates Journalists Named James
Trusted ⭐
They will most likely extend it. As much as it hurts most people, I don't see Wenger leaving anytime soon. Özil would not have signed on if Wenger was gone this summer.

Finishing below Sp**s with a superior team two seasons in a row must hurt though.

Yeah, nothing to do with the £350k a week and living in London. He would’ve known what he was being offered from other clubs around Europe and we were probably offering the best package based on salary/lifestyle.

You’re absolutely mental if you think they’ll extend his contract if we finish 6th and aren’t in the champions league again.

Trilly

Trusted ⭐

Anyway my two cents on Wenger is that we can't get worse. I said this a few years ago and in hindsight that was probably wrong, even the Wenger of a few years ago is twice the manager we are seeing now and was getting CL football.

But now I genuinely can't see us getting worse, there's a huge gap between us and our rivals but also between us and the teams below us. As long as we don't hire an absolute idiot I'm very, very tempted to say that it could only get better.

Makingtrax

Worships in the house of Wenger 🙏
Trusted ⭐

Player:Saliba

Turn the anger on Wengerboy, he's not feeling our pain.

Very good, even pretending you're not being sneaky too. :lol:

Trilly

Trusted ⭐

Just an alternative response before he does. The amount of hate spewed in here at times when we lose kind of drains the negativity out of you and you start to notice the drivel that some people are trying to push.

It becomes less about feelings of loss than it is about people insulting the manager or wishing death threats. Some people can't deal with illogical thinking so that could be why losses come second to logic.
My 2 pence.
Yes I've noticed.

Some criticisms on here are ridiculous but we all react in different ways, I tend not to hold what people say on matchday against them. I've been there albeit as a teenager, some of us grow up faster, some of us are just more emotional etc etc.

El Granit-Coq

Established Member
This. Explains. Everything.

It's also one of the stupidest things I've ever read, doesn't this go against the exact definition of coaching?:lol:
Also, this is a very simple way of looking at his philosophy. It's not so much go do your own thing while he sits there sipping tea... The players get coached and drilled. Not pointing out mistakes to a player who is mentally fragile (I assume is the case) could make matters worse - admittedly some people need that.

Arsène believes the best form of growth comes from within, you notice yourself that you've made an error, you overcome that hurdle and your confidence and self belief increases (case can be made otherwise tbf). Nevertheless, he gives players instructions (as many have said that is not what they were instructed to do or play) but also gives them the freedom to express themselves on the pitch and make their own real time decisions as they are best placed to understand the rhythm of the game.

Trilly

Trusted ⭐

Turn the anger on Wengerboy, he's not feeling our pain.

Very good, even pretending you're not being sneaky too. :lol:
It was an honest question. You're giving me too much credit.:lol:

One thing I can never be called out on on here is for being fake. I promise. :lol:

El Granit-Coq

Established Member
Yeah, nothing to do with the £350k a week and living in London. He would’ve known what he was being offered from other clubs around Europe and we were probably offering the best package based on salary/lifestyle.

You’re absolutely mental if you think they’ll extend his contract if we finish 6th and aren’t in the champions league again.
Because Özil coming out and saying multiple times that Wenger is the biggest reason he is at Arsenal is not enough of a basis.

I can see Wenger staying for 2 more years. There is poverty options out there that will work with such a constrained budget and unambitious owner.

Makingtrax

Worships in the house of Wenger 🙏
Trusted ⭐

Player:Saliba
It was an honest question. You're giving me too much credit.:lol:

One thing I can never be called out on on here is for being fake. I promise. :lol:
Always give you credit bro. Your continual 'things couldn't get any worse' posts are generating loads of hate. Well done.

El Granit-Coq

Established Member
Anyway my two cents on Wenger is that we can't get worse. I said this a few years ago and in hindsight that was probably wrong, even the Wenger of a few years ago is twice the manager we are seeing now and was getting CL football.

But now I genuinely can't see us getting worse, there's a huge gap between us and our rivals but also between us and the teams below us. As long as we don't hire an absolute idiot I'm very, very tempted to say that it could only get better.
We absolutely can get worse. The names that have been touted over the years have been absolutely laughable. Most recently Arteta as a candidate for replacing Wenger. People don't realise that Wenger basically runs the club due to the owners and boards incompetence.

The club will be in an absolute shambles if things aren't properly set up and even then, you must have a manager that can compete with such a limited transfer policy.

People are frustrated with Wenger due to time and familiarity, same people would accept mediocrity for the sake of a new face. That's not logical. Wenger the past two years has performed in accordance to the squad cost... This year IMO is one that stands as an absolute worst case scenario for him.

Trilly

Trusted ⭐

Always give you credit bro. Your continual 'things couldn't get any worse' posts are generating loads of hate. Well done.
I haven't read this thread since the end of January!

What hate am I spreading?

I'd also like to rephrase my initial question. Do our losses bother you but that comes second to the need to correct for some of the extreme posts in here?

Trilly

Trusted ⭐

We absolutely can get worse. The names that have been touted over the years have been absolutely laughable. Most recently Arteta as a candidate for replacing Wenger. People don't realise that Wenger basically runs the club due to the owners and boards incompetence.

The club will be in an absolute shambles if things aren't properly set up and even then, you must have a manager that can compete with such a limited transfer policy.

People are frustrated with Wenger due to time and familiarity, same people would accept mediocrity for the sake of a new face. That's not logical. Wenger the past two years has performed in accordance to the squad cost... This year IMO is one that stands as an absolute worst case scenario for him.
I look at our squad and I can't see them falling below 8th barring a dressing room strike.

The league is skewed like never before. There's a nine point gap between us and 7th placed Burnley. There's a nine point gap between 9th and 19th. Deep it!

As I said, unless we hire an absolute clown of the highest order. How is our squad, with our finances and the players we have going to finish below anyone but the current top 5 (and perhaps Everton if they have a really good season) ?

Even Moyes couldn't get United below 8th. It's the same squad cost argument used to defend Wenger but in reverse.

RacingPhoton

Established Member

I think we are already preparing for his departure. With Sven, Raul and other management level changes, we are getting ready for life without Wenger.
Mathematically speaking, we can get worse with a new face. But the probability for that to happen is well balanced. I would say it is actually lower. People are frustrated with Wenger because, even after having this much time with the same club, our team is only getting worse season by season.
As far as replacement options are concerned, Wenger is the 5th highest paid manager in Europe. Why do you think we will find it difficult to find a replacement?

freeglennhelder2

Established Member

Player:Elneny
We absolutely can get worse

We can get worse. We can get better. We could stay the same. We could contract Cat AIDS. It’s all guesswork. All talk. There’s no way to prove any of it.

The only thing we know for sure is institutions that don’t embrace change are left behind and die, scratching their heads mumbling “how did this happen?”

Let’s get the ball rolling and make the big leap forward into the unknown.

Who’s with me???

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arsenal Quotes

I think in England you eat too much sugar and meat and not enough vegetables

Arsène Wenger

Latest posts

Top Bottom