• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Arsène Wenger: Same Old Class

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ceballinhos

Cheating on Santi
Well he have to play the best players available for him any manager do that I don't get why the players finding it frustrating but if they being frustrating by predictable Wenger tactics then I understand their point

Tbf Xhaka Cech and Mustafi all deserved to be benched lately.

Elneny has been playing better than Xhaka IMO and Granit still starts ahead of him.
Same goes for Cech.

Ceballinhos

Cheating on Santi
Agree but their replacements didn't prove yet they better than the starting players

They don't even get a run of games to prove their worth.
I don't think Elneny and Ospina can do any worse than the 2 starters.

Ospina when Cech got injured has always done a good job.
And Elneny has been much better than Xhaka this season. And still Xhaka gets all the game.

There isn't enough competition at the club imo.
Maybe that's why our players are in a comfort zone and not improving anymore idk.

celestis

Arsenal-Mania Veteran

Why do journalists think it’s news that Wenger won’t quit in the summer?

Has never been even slightly on the cards. Only way he’s leaving before his contract is up is if he gets sacked. Which unfortunately is probably not on the cards either.

He won't resign I wouldnt expect any less from him but pretty sure hell get the sack

NickF

Would you be okay with Wenger staying another year if we win Europa?

Absolutely not. He has had contracts off the back of FA cup wins but our league form is getting worse and worse (10 defeats this season). Ask yourself this, if he stays next year, realistically what would be different in terms of the league to this one?

BobP

Memri Fan
Poll idea:

Would you be okay with Wenger staying another year if we win Europa?

The issues go deeper than being able/unable to win games. It was often the case in previous seasons that even when we were going through a rough patch, the players never turned on their manager. However, that's not the case anymore. You can take the various reports swirling about as evidence of that.

When the players turn, you've got to go.

It becomes impossible to salvage anything.

If he and the club were perfectly open regarding his departure at the end of his contract, I could get behind him staying for one more season. But he obviously has no intention of going quietly.

Jury

A-M's drunk uncle
:lol: Soft? They were unbeaten in their last 13 matches in the Serie A, including 9 clean sheets, and beating Inter in the Coppa Italia.

Anyway more to the point, what you doing up at 3.38am? Worrying about Wenger going?:eek:
No work, had a funeral of an ex-work mate to go to. I booked the day off but didn't go in the end. The dead guy always called me a lazy **** anyway, so he'll understand.

Unbeaten streaks in Serie A... beating Inter... What does it mean these days?

Jury

A-M's drunk uncle
Why do journalists think it’s news that Wenger won’t quit in the summer?

Has never been even slightly on the cards. Only way he’s leaving before his contract is up is if he gets sacked. Which unfortunately is probably not on the cards either.
If we exit the Europa v AC in the return leg, I feel the pressure from above and below would be too much; any AKB stragglers would defect and that'd be that from a fan perspective. Whether there'd be enough noise made to shift him is another question, but if there was a significant reaction, he'd have to reconsider seeing out his final year. He says he'd always see out his contract but how could he carry on when he's left in no doubt that the entire fan base wants him gone? How would that be fair on the players to have to carry his baggage? They're already utterly pissed off at being told they're short of confidence every time they lose... Fancy being painted as a flaky tosser every week when you think or know it's not the case, and it's the way the team is coached that's the problem. What an environment to have to work in :lol:

The danger is he scrambles to the last day of the season battered to a pulp and we win our last game... He recovers over the next few weeks and his delusion takes over again.

He has to be flushed as soon as he hits the bottom of the pan.

Last edited:

Longy

If we exit the Europa v AC in the return leg, I feel the pressure from above and below would be too much; any AKB stragglers would defect and that'd be that from a fan perspective. Whether there'd be enough noise made to shift him is another question, but if there was a significant reaction, he'd have to reconsider seeing out his final year. He says he'd always see out his contract but how could he carry on when he's left in no doubt that the entire fan base wants him gone? How would that be fair on the players to have to carry his baggage? They're already utterly pissed off at being told they're short of confidence every time they lose... Fancy being painted as a flaky tosser every week when you think or know it's not the case, and it's the way the team is coached that's the problem. What an environment to have to work in :lol:

The danger is he scrambles to the last day of the season battered to a pulp and we win our last game... He recovers over the next few weeks and his delusion takes over again.

He has to be flushed as soon as he hits the bottom of the pan.

The board will still not fire him.
They will sit on their hands until contract is up no matter what happens.
When have the owners/board reacted any different ? We are just peasants much below them.

KrissKringle

Reinventing VAR 😡
"I want to win with style, it is very ambitious. When I don't win I am suffering like everyone else.
http://www.goal.com/en/news/Arséne-...x-ferguson-arsenal/1cpn4oxlumaq01jq2nruixbqr1
Aside for the game against Milan, who gave us the space to make our moves and show a certain amount of style, this team had no such thing throughout the season.
If Wenger wants to win with style, he's got a huge task ahead of him with the current crop of players at his disposal.
Other than that, I can understand how frustrating it must be for him at the moment and it's nice to see ol' Whisky Nose showing some support.

Victarion

Am I the only one who can't help, but wonder how much we could have won if we'd stuck with counter attacking football, like we played when we actually won titles?

Leicester were like a worse version of our 2002 title winners and they won the title recently, United won multiple titles with Ronaldo etc playing how we used to play, Chelsea won the Champions League playing counter attacking football with no great quality.

All you need is pace up front, no nonsense hard men at the back and a bit of quality in the middle. Leicester even unearthed gems in the French league in Kante and Mahrez like we used to.

This stuff would still work if we'd kept with it and could still unearth the gems in the French league.

DanDare

Emoji Merchant and Believer-In-Chief
Trusted ⭐

Player:Saliba
Am I the only one who can't help, but wonder how much we could have won if we'd stuck with counter attacking football, like we played when we actually won titles?

Leicester were like a worse version of our 2002 title winners and they won the title recently, United won multiple titles with Ronaldo etc playing how we used to play, Chelsea won the Champions League playing counter attacking football with no great quality.

All you need is pace up front, no nonsense hard men at the back and a bit of quality in the middle. Leicester even unearthed gems in the French league in Kante and Mahrez like we used to.

This stuff would still work if we'd kept with it and could still unearth the gems in the French league.

A counter attacking style can be very successful because it circumvents defensive team structure and drilling.

It’s not as easy as you’re making it seem though. Like you can just find the requisite parts at a Tesco metro

YeahBee

Terrible hot takes
They don't even get a run of games to prove their worth.
I don't think Elneny and Ospina can do any worse than the 2 starters.

Ospina when Cech got injured has always done a good job.
And Elneny has been much better than Xhaka this season. And still Xhaka gets all the game.

There isn't enough competition at the club imo.
Maybe that's why our players are in a comfort zone and not improving anymore idk.

Ospina maybe but El Neny, yeah maybe not worse but certainly not better

the other ones can bounce back, what can El Neny bounce back to?

Dokaka

AM's resident Hammer
It's becoming formulaic at this point:

Decent to good start -> Massive slump, fans turn -> Late meaningless run of good form when everything is lost which turns just enough fans around, allowing Wenger to stay.

You'll probably follow the script now and go on a massive tear in the league, reach the EL final and lose to A. Madrid, a loss the Wenger-in crowd will deem some variation of "respectable" and point to the team's recent run as evidence of Wenger still being the right man for the job. Wenger will then have just enough support to see out his contract, thus avoiding his legendary tenure ending with a sacking, going out on his own terms instead.

I'm somewhat sympathetic to the fans that have reached a point of hoping for failure on the pitch, because nothing else has worked in terms of promoting change. Widespread fan protests, ex-Arsenal players saying he needs to go etc. It's a ****ty situation for everyone involved.

Could be worse, though. You could be us.

Last edited:

Rimaal

Mesmerised By Raccoons
Trusted ⭐
If he doesn't resign, I hope they sack him. Either way, he needs to be out this summer, come what may.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arsenal Quotes

When you grow up with a club and you end up playing for them and winning things, you are from that club. I was born here. I was formulated here.

Liam Brady

Latest posts

Top Bottom