• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Arsène Wenger: Same Old Class

Status
Not open for further replies.

celestis

Arsenal-Mania Veteran

Stop commenting then on every single person that brings up the opinion that they feel that the board forced him to go, or strongly encouraged him.

I mean, if anything, I thought the argument would be the disgrace of the board not backing him financially enough, and then turning around and saying it's time to go one season after winning the FA Cup and replacing Giroud with Lacazette and Aubameyang, not the fact that people are discussing that the board have pushed him out and he would have wanted to stay.

Think this is what will be sore point for Arsène . He's covered for them for years like a decade . They'd come out and things Arsène has plenty of money to spend" . Yet agent would say the opposite . We now know that was rubbish and he had to sell to buy .

What will be the single most important in ensuring Arsenal is a powerhouse is an increase in revenue streams . Which we are lagging atm.

celestis

Arsenal-Mania Veteran

From this excerpt from the Guardian he seems to have known his time was done :

Speaking for the first time about his decision to cut ties with the club at the end of the season, Wenger made it clear he was “not tired” and wanted to continue working in football even though it would be “emotionally difficult” for him to manage another English club. The Frenchman declined to explain in full why had chosen to break his contract, stating that he would wait until he had left the club, but he also spoke at length for the first time about the bitter divisions that have been created among Arsenal’s fanbase. It had notdamaged him personally, he said, but it had been bad for the club’s reputation.

“I believe this club is respected all over the world, much more than in England, and our fans did not give the image of unity that I wanted. That was hurtful because I feel the club is respected over the world and, overall, the image we gave from our club is not what it is – and not what I like.

“I feel this club has a fantastic image and, for me, that is absolutely vital. We can speak and speak and speak but sport is about winning and losing and you [the supporters] have to accept you will lose games, even when I will not be here any more. But it is about something bigger than just winning or losing and that was always a worry: how the club is perceived worldwide, for kids playing in Africa, China and America and the dreams it can create for young children who want to play football.

“I am not resentful and I do not want to make stupid headlines. I just feel if my personality is in the way of what I think our club is ... for me, that is more important than me staying. That is all I want to say. It is nothing to do with the fans. The fans were not happy and I can understand that. It’s my job. I have to live with that. I can accept that.”

blaze_of_glory

Speaking for the first time about his decision to cut ties with the club at the end of the season, Wenger made it clear he was “not tired” and wanted to continue working in football even though it would be “emotionally difficult” for him to manage another English club. The Frenchman declined to explain in full why had chosen to break his contract, stating that he would wait until he had left the club, but he also spoke at length for the first time about the bitter divisions that have been created among Arsenal’s fanbase. It had notdamaged him personally, he said, but it had been bad for the club’s reputation.

“I believe this club is respected all over the world, much more than in England, and our fans did not give the image of unity that I wanted. That was hurtful because I feel the club is respected over the world and, overall, the image we gave from our club is not what it is – and not what I like.

“I feel this club has a fantastic image and, for me, that is absolutely vital. We can speak and speak and speak but sport is about winning and losing and you [the supporters] have to accept you will lose games, even when I will not be here any more. But it is about something bigger than just winning or losing and that was always a worry: how the club is perceived worldwide, for kids playing in Africa, China and America and the dreams it can create for young children who want to play football.

“I am not resentful and I do not want to make stupid headlines. I just feel if my personality is in the way of what I think our club is ... for me, that is more important than me staying. That is all I want to say. It is nothing to do with the fans. The fans were not happy and I can understand that. It’s my job. I have to live with that. I can accept that.”
Yeah I just watched the video of the press conference and it's clear he feels that his presence is now too polarizing to be healthy for the club going forward.

Jaila

People in love with Wenger are having trouble accepting the truth. He was essentially sacked. He has said hundreds of times that he always honors his contracts. Good riddance, long due.

Kudos to Gazidis to finally make it happen. Give the man a hefty pay raise

scytheavatar

Established Member
Is Gazidis really as bad as people make him out to be? He seems pretty reasonable, considering Wenger could have been sacked or asked to resign a lot, lot earlier.

He could have done everything in his power to make sure Wenger wasn't sacked or asked to resign. He could have just made sure Wenger didn't sign a contract extension last summer. He failed to do that.

Jasard

Forum Issue Troubleshooter

He could have done everything in his power to make sure Wenger wasn't sacked or asked to resign. He could have just made sure Wenger didn't sign a contract extension last summer. He failed to do that.

Well his real failing was not having the structure in place to replace him years earlier. Wenger couldn't have gone in the summer because behind the scenes was a mess.

Last edited:

bingobob

A-M’s Resident Hunskelper
Trusted ⭐

Unfortunately he has made stupid head lines.

"Fans have ruined our image"
"Fans drove me out"
"wounded Wenger Frenchman claims hurtful fans have damaged clubs image"

He could have left quietly. Instead he has chosen to pick a fight. If he is worried about the club's image he should rewatch our humiliation to Bayern and consider what image that portrayed. Or getting pumped out of the FA cup by Forest. How about any other humiliation like not winning away from home this year and losing our best player on a free to a rival.

The next manager will win and lose games. Wenger for a man who understands winning in style he hasnt understood it's also how you lose. Some advice for your next job it's not meekly or without a fight.

Even in his final weeks he completely refuses to acknowledge that he has been a major contributor to the problem that created this environment.

DanDare

Emoji Merchant and Believer-In-Chief
Trusted ⭐

Player:Saliba

"Fans drove me out"

He could have left quietly. Instead he has chosen to pick a fight. If he is worried about the club's image he should rewatch our humiliation to Bayern and consider what image that portrayed. Or getting pumped out of the FA cup by Forest. How about any other humiliation like not winning away from home this year and losing our best player on a free to a rival.

The next manager will win and lose games. Wenger for a man who understands winning in style he hasnt understood it's also how you lose. Some advice for your next job it's not meekly or without a fight.

Even in his final weeks he completely refuses to acknowledge that he has been a major contributor to the problem that created this environment.

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

Imagine thinking Wenger needs advice from you “bingobob”

Mark Tobias

Mr. Agreeable
People in love with Wenger are having trouble accepting the truth. He was essentially sacked. He has said hundreds of times that he always honors his contracts. Good riddance, long due.

Kudos to Gazidis to finally make it happen. Give the man a hefty pay raise
Gazidis earns a packet. "give him a raise' for what? Doing his job?

Erlis

Only Came To See Granit Xhaka

From what I have seen, I could be wrong, even the fanbase in England are mostly migrants who have migrated to England at a certain period of time, they or their families.

kraphtous

Raul Stanllehi
It's really sad to see so many Arsenal fans fall into the media trap.

They have been waiting for Wenger's departure for many years, some even a decade. They expected this club to sack their most successful manager, they hoped it would be as ugly as possible. But what the club and Wenger did was subvert their expectations and handle it with grace and class, while still allowing another final push for a European trophy. The media are butthurt about this which is why they write this stupid stuff to further divide the fans and some of you are falling right into it.

Why can't you be happy that the club did the right thing without disrespecting our greatest manager in history? Or must you always be angry, no matter what this club does?

If you are an Arsenal fan you should be happy that the club did something to improve our situation and if you are an Arsène fan then you should be happy it didn't end in the ugliest way possible. Both parties handled this with grace, be happy.

Mark Tobias

Mr. Agreeable
It's really sad to see so many Arsenal fans fall into the media trap.

They have been waiting for Wenger's departure for many years, some even a decade. They expected this club to sack their most successful manager, they hoped it would be as ugly as possible. But what the club and Wenger did was subvert their expectations and handle it with grace and class, while still allowing another final push for a European trophy. The media are butthurt about this which is why they write this stupid stuff to further divide the fans and some of you are falling right into it.

Why can't you be happy that the club did the right thing without disrespecting our greatest manager in history? Or must you always be angry, no matter what this club does?
True colours of our fans really starting to shine through.

berric

Established Member

Player:Trossard
Wenger said in his (charming and dignified) post-match conference that he doesn't want to blame the fans and that he knows media will try to make stupid headlines.

Yet they still maka stupid headlines despite that, and yet some people fall for it.

Rimaal

Mesmerised By Raccoons
Trusted ⭐

From what I have seen, I could be wrong, even the fanbase in England are mostly migrants who have migrated to England at a certain period of time, they or their families.

Well, it's no indication whatsoever of course, but for what it's worth, I'm from a teensy-weensy, itsy bitsy, corner of the rest of the world, and the fan base here is as disgruntled as that in England.

Makingtrax

Worships in the house of Wenger 🙏
Trusted ⭐

Player:Saliba

"Fans drove me out"

You can't still be going on about losing to Forest in the Cup. He played a bunch of youngsters man. He's won it 7 times and was focussing on other stuff.

It's like you never watch football. Wigan knocked Pep out, Bradford knocked Mourinho out at Stamford Bridge and thrashed them with 4 goals. But these managers are sitting 1 and 2 in the league because they are good and have a very high budget.

I despair at times.

dashsnow17

Doesn’t Rate Any Of Our Attackers
Trusted ⭐

Except that is precisely what he has done? He acknowledged there is a toxic atmosphere and said he'd rather leave than let it continue, it follows that he acknowledges he is linked to that atmosphere. He's essentially leaving against his will and it's very tough for him, he's not 'picking a fight' ffs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arsenal Quotes

One of the things I discovered in Japan was from watching sumo wrestling. At the end you can never tell who has won the fight, and who has lost, because they do not show their emotion because it could embarrass the loser. It is unbelievable. That is why I try to teach my team politeness. It is only here in England that everybody pokes their tongue out when they win.

Arsène Wenger

Latest posts

Top Bottom