• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Mesut Özil: Time to Move Ön?

Do you want Özil sold this summer?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

krackpot

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
Perhaps this is. Sign of youth culture today in the fact that a facebook/insta following is what success is now based on, not actual ****ing work output!
Perhaps. still doesn't remove the fact that social media generates a lot of revenue and popularity with the masses.

or maybe we want to ignore the impact of social media and live in the 80s?

TheEconomist

Established Member
It's the board's fault for giving him that contract and then hiring Emery whose tactics, methods, and overall approach are terrible fits for the player.

Note: I'm not a fan of Emery but I'm not blaming him for this (unless he sold the board on the premise that he could work well with Özil). I'm blaming the board for their horrific matchmaking skills.

I completely agree that the board is fully responsible for the **** storm we're in. I'd be interested to know though, if given the choice, would you prefer Özil to remain over Emery ?

Given how much the board seem to make up their strategy as they go along, I doubt they even thought about whether Emery was compatible with Özil. Weren't they on the verge of giving the job to Arteta before Gazidis changed his mind off the back of a meeting with Emery?

Divided_Pie

I completely agree that the board is fully responsible for the **** storm we're in. I'd be interested to know though, if given the choice, would you prefer Özil to remain over Emery ?
Do not take this to mean that I think Emery deserves to be sacked.

I love Özil as a player, I love "beautiful" football, and I think it's tragic that we don't get to see Özil displaying his craft on a team built around his strengths. While it's clear he is not a fit for Emery's style, and his play has dropped off, I don't believe his effort and commitment have been poor, and I don't blame him for the team's financial ineptitude.

There were only two games this season that I truly enjoyed watching - the 3-1 against Leicester and the draw against Liverpool. The first was a showcase for Özil's talent, the 2nd showed that he can play with grit as a captain against a top club. I believe he can be a key piece of a title-winning team in any league at any level, still.

In general I don't like how Emery's rigid tactics affect my enjoyment of the game, and I fear that his troubles working with star players will prevent creative attacking players from signing with Arsenal.

Manufacturing goals by overloading the outside of the final 3rd with overlapping fullbacks and driving crosses in to a crowded box might be effective (although this remains to be seen here), but I preferred watching the Arsenal of old trying to walk the ball in to the net with technique, vision, movement, passing, creativity, team play, and individual brilliance.

celestis

Arsenal-Mania Veteran

I don't think your being realistic mate, as I said it was the boards fault for stupidly giving him the contract but let's not pretend that Özil had no part in it, it's called a negotiation for a reason. I don't think the board just plucked a number out of thin air and offered it to Özil on a plate, he clearly had demands.

Where did I pretend to say that ? Your'e acting like the poor board were held at gunpoint . Every party has demands in a negotiations that's the whole point of negotiations .

al-Ustaadh

👳‍♂️ Figuring out how to delete my account 👳‍♂️

Wages look even more ridiculous when you see what better players are getting elsewhere.

Thank **** Alexis refused to stay here, we would’ve neeeded to sack half the ground staff to afford both of them.
The Ligue 1, Serie A, and Bundesliga rankings are hysterical. 4/5 in each league is either PSG, Juventus, or Bayern players.

PSG takes the cake though in Ligue 1:

TheEconomist

Established Member

I love Özil as a player, I love "beautiful" football, and I think it's tragic that we don't get to see Özil displaying his craft on a team built around his strengths. While it's clear he is not a fit for Emery's style, and his play has dropped off, I don't believe his effort and commitment have been poor, and I don't blame him for the team's financial ineptitude.

There were only two games this season that I truly enjoyed watching - the 3-1 against Leicester and the draw against Liverpool. The first was a showcase for Özil's talent, the 2nd showed that he can play with grit as a captain against a top club. I believe he can be a key piece of a title-winning team in any league at any level, still.

In general I don't like how Emery's rigid tactics affect my enjoyment of the game, and I fear that his troubles working with star players will prevent creative attacking players from signing with Arsenal.

Manufacturing goals by overloading the outside of the final 3rd with overlapping fullbacks and driving crosses in to a crowded box might be effective (although this remains to be seen here), but I preferred watching the Arsenal of old trying to walk the ball in to the net with technique, vision, movement, passing, creativity, team play, and individual brilliance.

Those are all fair points. Good answer

I haven't particularly enjoyed our performances much either and I'd prefer us to keep the attractive fast attacking football that turned so many of us into Arsenal fans too . I'm hoping that once he's built the team he wants (which I'm expecting by the beginning of next season) the quality should improve.

Let's hope it does

Furious

Emery Gone, Telly Back On

Wages look even more ridiculous when you see what better players are getting elsewhere.

Thank **** Alexis refused to stay here, we would’ve neeeded to sack half the ground staff to afford both of them.

Looks pretty much in line with what he's worth.

freeglennhelder2

Established Member

Player:Elneny
Since signing a new contract at the start of of 2018 Mesut Özil has put in a handful performances which match his extraordinary ability.

I do not believe Wenger, the DFB, Emery or the Arsenal board are primarily responsible for this anomaly.

Dj_sds -

Since signing a new contract at the start of of 2018 Mesut Özil has put in a handful performances which match his extraordinary ability.

I do not believe Wenger, the DFB, Emery or the Arsenal board are primarily responsible for this anomaly.

Dont forget ancelotti at real madrid

razörist

Soft With The Ladies, Hard With The Mes

Wtf did Alexis and Mesut do at Arsenal to deserve these contracts.

**** me.

Jury

A-M's drunk uncle

Give it some time ffs. Or why not go and support City for now? Your post wreaks of some part time wishy washy minge of a fan. Not saying you are, but you give a fantastic impression of one.

All this ‘beautiful football’ and ‘building a team around Özil’ (I’ve come to the conclusion that this simply means picking any given highest paid player every week regardless) stuff. Jumpers for goalposts, half time orange segments etc. Jesus. I bet your precious enjoyment of the game was just fine when we were 20 odd unbeaten.

Last edited:

squallman

Still Pining for Wenger
When I was a kid and had no clue about football I believed Beckham was one of the best players in the world.

Are you making a point here?

On that same note, Beckham has become underrated in his retirement. He was regularly at the top of the assist charts during his time at United. In fact he's in the top 10 all time list for premier league assists. When you leave out players who had much longer careers in England, the only players who beat him out are Fabregas and Silva. Beckham was at United for 9 seasons whereas Milner who has 1 assist more than him has been knocking around for 15 seasons now. Rooney is about the same.

For a bit of a thought exercise, if you add in Beckham's Real Madrid assists to his EPL tally, then he would be 2nd in the all time assist chart. Bettered only by Giggs who played for 20+ years

Second place in the Ballon d'or one season as well as being one of the few England players to actually turn up in an England shirt.

If that doesn't qualify him to be classified as one of the best in the world during his pomp. I don't know what does.

EDIT:

I would kill to have Beckham feeding balls to Auba and Lacazette.

Last edited:

Jury

A-M's drunk uncle
When I was a kid and had no clue about football I believed Beckham was one of the best players in the world.
He was very very effective at what he did. Not the best footballer, but what he provided, you couldn’t question. If he was playing in his pomp right now, he’d still be top 3 highest paid in the world imo.

L3T5 PL4Y

Flair Accuser
Are you making a point here?

On that same note, Beckham has become underrated in his retirement. He was regularly at the top of the assist charts during his time at United. In fact he's in the top 10 all time list for premier league assists. When you leave out players who had much longer careers in England, the only players who beat him out are Fabregas and Silva. Beckham was at United for 9 seasons whereas Milner who has 1 assist more than him has been knocking around for 15 seasons now. Rooney is about the same.

For a bit of a thought exercise, if you add in Beckham's Real Madrid assists to his EPL tally, then he would be 2nd in the all time assist chart. Bettered only by Giggs who played for 20+ years

Second place in the Ballon d'or one season as well as being one of the few England players to actually turn up in an England shirt.

If that doesn't qualify him to be classified as one of the best in the world during his pomp. I don't know what does.

EDIT:

I would kill to have Beckham feeding balls to Auba and Lacazette.
He was very very effective at what he did. Not the best footballer, but what he provided, you couldn’t question. If he was playing in his pomp right now, he’d still be top 3 highest paid in the world imo.
Yeah, what I tried to say is during that time I saw way way better footballers but there was this wankfest over Beckham I couldn't understand. I mean the likes of Scholes, Owen, Gerrard, Lampard, Giggs, Shearer etc if you're talking about English players seemed way better but everyone was so awkwardly drooling over him even though he practically just ran around and had a good delivery. The list of foreign players who looked better than him was enormous as well.

Özil is kind of like that in the sense that he seems to have these fanatics religiously believing he is the second coming of Zidane but its a complete myth when you see him most of the time. People whose opinions actually matter don't seem to rate him much either. His performances for Germany at early tournaments, at Werder and early parts at RM were great to good but then apart from patches its mostly nothing.

The ridiculous hype however for the both of them is just weird. And people fall for it like teenagers.

As for Beckham in current football, I don't know. He seems as if he could make a good fullback but if he were growing up in the current system maybe his overall talent would've developed him into a complete well rounded midfield player.

The question that comes to mind though, can marketing be that effective?

Last edited:

squallman

Still Pining for Wenger
People whose opinions actually matter don't seem to rate him much either

Robert Pires: "Özil reminds me of Zidane"

Bellerin: "Özil is a born champion"

Wenger: "If you love football, you love Mesut Özil"

Mourinho: "Özil is unique, there is no copy of him"

Ronaldo: "The sale of Özil is very bad news for me"

Those are just a few. If I search I could find more, much more.

Say what you like about Özil's performances now but don't rewrite history and pretend that he didn't perform at an amazingly high level for years. He almost broke the premier league assist record feeding Giroud and only failed to do so because the Frenchman decided to go on a 15 game goal scoring drought.

On Beckham, it is telling that you named some of the best players (and Michael Owen) in English Football history to make your point on Beckham being overrated. If you have to point to the likes of Shearer and Lampard to go well Beckham wasn't that good, maybe you need to revise your opinion.

Just think about it, you're basically going "Well Beckham wasn't that good because Shearer, the top premier league goal scorer of all time, was better than him." I could argue that some of the others you named never reached Beckham's peak and only have longevity over him but this isn't a Beckham thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arsenal Quotes

I was receiving offers from many other clubs and declining them all, even the most tempting ones. Juventus, Real Madrid, PSG contacted me, Bayern, France, England...I am happy to have been able to say no to more glory, more money, and to have been guided only by the idea of loyally serving the club. I had knitted myself a soul in Red and White.

Arsène Wenger: My Life in Red and White

Latest posts

Top Bottom