• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Kieran Tierney

Status
Not open for further replies.

goldengod

I thought ***** meant something like spineless/p#ssy. This is way better, haha.

On a serious note, I wonder what the rationale is behind waiting so long between offers, especially if the first offer isn't at all enticing. Not being salty, just curious. Do they use the time to consider / feel out (or whatever dirty term is used for our transfer business) alternatives? If an offer is tempting I get it, but now I don't.

Same goes for finalizing the Saliba deal. Do they not feel pressure? What is the benefit of dragging it out vs the obvious risk of deal hijacking?

I wonder a lot about this, but that is because my starting assumption is these people are not incompetent fools.

It seems on deadline day clubs are able to identify, bid, improve bid, finalize contract, lawyer check, submit paperwork in one day (sometimes for multiple players). That tells me it isn't too complex if the will to buy is there.
Negotiations (and the pace of them) obviously strongly depend on a number of factors:

- size of budget: if we had lots of cash we probably could make bids sooner but it seems like a lot of our transfers will be highly dependent on each other (e.g., one may preclude the other happening). So it's possible that we were waiting on other deals before deciding we could increase our bid

- difference in valuations: when clubs are far apart in valuations, it's probably a general tactic to seem unwilling/unlikely to put in another offer. Say for example you bid £25m on a player, but the other club wants £50m. You are prepared to go higher but nowhere near the £50m mark. If you decided 24-48 hours later to increase your bid to say £32m, then you come across as keen and likely the selling club will figure you'd probably go higher. If you waited two weeks and made it seem like you were looking at other targets, then the selling club might decide they need to lower their valuation closer to yours. The closer the two clubs are in valuation, the quicker the renewed bids will come in (e.g., from the sounds of it, it seems like we'll be making a third bid for Tierney pretty shortly because now we are basically at the agreed valuation, just need to sort out more minor aspects of the deal).

- time left in the window: when you have weeks to go, both clubs will likely be reluctant to budge on their valuations. The buying club will wait for the selling club to lower. The selling club will wait for the buying club to go higher and/or another club to enter the mix. As the window draws nearer, these options begin to dwindle. The buying club may miss out on their player (or alternative) so begin to accept higher costs. The selling club may be stuck with a player who wants out and/or may be worth less in 6-12 months because their contract will be shorter. Suddenly they may be more compromising on their valuation

In general, deals aren't too difficult in themselves to do. The difficulty is ensuring you aren't ripped off. Clubs that have infinite resources and care less about those things will probably conclude deals more quickly than us.

Edit: I'd also add that we should also be very careful about concluding what happens in our transfer business. Whilst some sources might be reliable about our bids, the truth is we don't really know how many bids we've made for Saliba/Tierney, how many discussions we've had with those clubs, or precisely when those bids went in.

Hooplehead

And do what that he hasn't done already in that poverty league? Be happy that a proper club is finally going for your players, up until now Southampton and Championship sides have bullied you for them.
He doesn't need to do anything he hasn't already done, more of the same would be lovely.

Arsenal are a big club, but they are on a downward trajectory, fighting for 4th is the most likely the best case scenario for the next few years, and even that will be tough, so yeah he'd be moving solely for the money, which I wouldn't grudge him, but he'd obviously prefer to get the money plus be competing for trophies, waiting for a better opportunity is a real option.

Tir Na Nog

Changes Opinion Every 5 Minutes

Heard from top agents in the Glasgow area that KT has threatened to go on strike if Celtic don’t let him go.

What a scummy club they are, lad was in tears when they rejected the first offer.

Denying him the right to go to a big club, I'd be in tears too. Also knowing that he's been their from a young age and knowing how they treat young boys at that club I wouldn't be surprised if he's experienced some horrific things. But if I speak about them....

FinnGooner

Established Member
Give me some names then?

I'm not a scout. Our club has scouts, though, and they should be doing their job. What I do know is that Liverpool bought Robertson for £8m. He had nearly 100 games in the top 2 tiers of English football, 60 in the PL at that point. That's one example. There are others, look for yourself.

But if the case really is that paying £25m (or more!) for an injury prone SPL player is the only chance of Arsenal FC getting an upgrade on Kolasinac, every single one of our scouts should be fired!

Judasviking

I'm not a scout. Our club has scouts, though, and they should be doing their job. What I do know is that Liverpool bought Robertson for £8m. He had nearly 100 games in the top 2 tiers of English football, 60 in the PL at that point. That's one example. There are others, look for yourself.

But if the case really is that paying £25m (or more!) for an injury prone SPL player is the only chance of Arsenal FC getting an upgrade on Kolasinac, every single one of our scouts should be fired!

I agree with you of course, if we could find a gem like Robertson it would be much better. And i personally would like Kelly, but that didn't happen.

Another thing, it's not everyday you find gems like Robertson, and if it was a man who could find something similar it would be Mislintat.

What i mean it that i can't see so many good options of players that is under 25m for the moment, but again im not a scout either.

You clearly not have any faith in Tierney seems like, and about the injuries people say its because he have played too much and been "missused".

Anyway as i have told you, i get your point!

FinnGooner

Established Member
I agree with you of course, if we could find a gem like Robertson it would be much better. And i personally would like Kelly, but that didn't happen.

Another thing, it's not everyday you find gems like Robertson, and if it was a man who could find something similar it would be Mislintat.

What i mean it that i can't see so many good options of players that is under 25m for the moment, but again im not a scout either.

You clearly not have any faith in Tierney seems like, and about the injuries people say its because he have played too much and been "missused".

Anyway as i have told you, i get your point!

Yeah, Robertson is an extreme example. But there are quite a few millions between 8 and 25. Our scouting is really bad nowadays.

Hooplehead

Denying him the right to go to a big club, I'd be in tears too. Also knowing that he's been their from a young age and knowing how they treat young boys at that club I wouldn't be surprised if he's experienced some horrific things. But if I speak about them....
Hopefully you never have kids in the future, I'd be very worried about what kind of childhood they would have considering you think child abuse is a funny topic and good ammo for point scoring on a football forum.

tenor.gif

Tir Na Nog

Changes Opinion Every 5 Minutes

Hopefully you never have kids in the future, I'd be very worried about what kind of childhood they would have considering you think child abuse is a funny topic and good ammo for point scoring on a football forum.

tenor.gif

I don't work for Celtic, nor will I let them near that club so they'll be grand.

It's not very funny at all, I'm absolutely horrified by it all. I know Celtic fans love to sweep it under the carpet though so I can understand why you'd be annoyed at it being brought up.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arsenal Quotes

Football is a bit like elections. Before it's unpredictable. After it's unexplainable... But there's an opportunity for us to make it unforgettable.

Arsène Wenger
Top Bottom