• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Unai Emery: Adios

Status
Not open for further replies.

Moah

The only reason I support arsenal is for the beauty of the game we played. Trophies and financial gain of the club gives me nothing personally. Trophies may give a month of satisfaction but nothing more.

The way we are playing is giving me and most likely most of us, no pleasure at all. The points may pat us on the back but we will starting losing.

Bring in someone who knows how to play the Arsenal way.
We need a freddie, Vieira, or an Arteta.

yorch44

Commander of the Pelotudo Brigade
It's not like Xhaka is a an out an out defensive midfielder.

He's much more a deep play maker, but the way we're set up and the league we're in, he doesn't have any time to actually put his strengths in display.

Had Bournemouth gotten the memo about pressing us, they could've actually gotten something from the game.

Xhaka is not a horrible player, just not a good fit for EPL. Reckon the do grand at Italy.
He isn’t even a good DPL, Arteta was a good one. Being DM or DPL is all about position in the field and how you read every play, every gap. Xhaka doesn’t know how to move without the ball. And he is so slow with the ball so we have no pace no tempo.

EmeryCouldnt

Established Member
And you know what..: I don’t care, you can come to Mexico and say it to my face if you want. I am tired of this no football. I watched Arsenal for the fun and beautiful games. I won’t be supporting this way. This manager doesn’t deserves anything.

I really was tempted to make fun of the cringe keyboard warrior. But seriously, I hear your frustration about Arsenal losing her identity of playing beautiful football. I agree. That’s likely what drew most of us to arsenal. I also don’t want Arsenal to lose that and I don’t think we will long term.

Sniper Mik

Not a Closet Sp**s Fan
Yeah, great that he didn't dive in, get a yellow and concede a free kick near the goal which he has done recently.
He needs to get close to the players to dive in. He was given a proper run around. And I didn't know that "diving in" and letting players run past you are the only two options for a holding midfielder. There's a thing called winning the ball with a clean tackle.

teamsoutheast

Player:Ødegaard
He needs to get close to the players to dive in. He was given a proper run around. And I didn't know that "diving in" and letting players run past you are the only two options for a holding midfielder. There's a thing called winning the ball with a clean tackle.

I worry about people who watch the game and instead of enjoying a victory where we capitalised on our main rivals slip ups, you choose to focus on one of our players doing absolutely nothing wrong.

Oxeki

Match Day Thread Merchant
Trusted ⭐

Player:Saliba
Your mindset is 10 years back! This is the Premier League mate. The league has got better and other so called 'smaller teams' now have money and have improved. So you think Norwich and Wolves beating City was a fluke? Along with Brighton/Leicester beating Tottenham. Wake up!!!!
Wolves beating City is a consequence of city's injury list and poor form. Sp**s losing to Leicester is because they imploded. Their bad performances has caught up with them.

I'm not asking us to play like peak Barcelona. wanting us to win games comfortably, is that too much to ask for?

Chelsea is playing well and look good on the eye. Instead we play turgid football and try to nick a goal and shut the defense, except we're quite bad at it.

Please, I'm not in the Emery out camp. I'm on the Arsenal camp. I want what's best for us. I'm willing to wait for our first choice fullback to return and also Laca and Holding.

Like I said, I hope Emery proves me wrong

Last edited:

Sniper Mik

Not a Closet Sp**s Fan
I worry about people who watch the game and instead of enjoying a victory where we capitalised on our main rivals slip ups, you choose to focus on one of our players doing absolutely nothing wrong.
You don't have to worry about how other people see a game. We're not focusing on just one of our players. We're focusing on a lot more things as well.

teamsoutheast

Wolves beating City is a consequence of city's injury list and poor form. Sp**s losing to Leicester is because they imploded. Their bad performances has caught up with them.

I'm not asking is to play like peak Barcelona. wanting us to win games comfortably, is that too much to ask for?

Chelsea is playing well and look good on the eye. Instead we play turgid football and try to nick a goal and shut the defense, except we're quite bad at it.

Please, I'm not in the Emery out camp. I'm on the Arsenal camp. I want what's best for him. I'm willing to wait for our first choice fullback to return and also Laca and Holding.

Like I said, I hope Emery proves me wrong

We won comfortably mid week with the same manager. If you are going to make excuses for City about their injuries then also acknowledge that we too have players yet to come back from injury. The fact we are ion the position we are in despite not having our first choice full backs and our main ball playing CB makes this even more impressive IMO.

Steps

#ButWeAreInThird

**** outta here with that nonsense. He's dragging us down, be rid of him. Our performances have been awful, the midweek game against some Belgian farmers notwithstanding. Sure, we are getting results, but this isn't the Arsenal many of us grew up supporting. This is a manager who is well out of his depth doing everything he can to keep his job.

Yeah, Champions League next year is important, but it is embarrassing that we've become a fan base who is pinning it's hopes on a Top 4 finish. No one is likely to catch Liverpool this season, but have some pride lads. What's the point of reaching the CL if we are just going to get tumbled out playing Emeryball?

We need to be playing better, and we need to be playing better now. It's going to be hard to turn the heads of prospective players when they look at our games like we are a 3rd tier team in the FA Cup struggling to grab upsets every match.

The ends in this case most certainly do not justify the means.

Oxeki

Match Day Thread Merchant
Trusted ⭐

Player:Saliba
We won comfortably mid week with the same manager. If you are going to make excuses for City about their injuries then also acknowledge that we too have players yet to come back from injury. The fact we are ion the position we are in despite not having our first choice full backs and our main ball playing CB makes this even more impressive IMO.
yeah, we won comfortably against some farmers and apparently that should be used as an excuse. It's no coincidence that our best performances this season have be in the cup games. It's because of the level of opposition that we've faced in those games not that we were good in those games. How many PL games have we looked comfortable in?

I'll say this again, if we keep on playing like this, our bad performances we catch up to us. It always does.

City losing that game to wolves is a one-offs.
It happened a few times last season. City will pick themselves up and I can guarantee you that their next opponent is in for a shelacking.

I don't think holding will solve our issues, neither will Tierney or Bellerin.
It's amazing that Holding has become Baresi since his injury. He was decent for us before his injury last year, it doesn't mean he'll come in and immediately transform our defense or help us build from the back. Luiz is a superior passer to Holding, yet we struggle to progress the ball up the pitch.

Like I said in my previous post, I hope I'm wrong about Emery.

Sanchez11

Nobody Is Coming!

Take the shackles off and go for it. 3rd/4th is between us and chelsea if he gets his arse into gear.

Toast

Established Member
There are, in my view, currently two intersecting strands of argument over Emery's position.The first focuses on whether he should stay or go at the end of the season. The second focuses on whether he should stay or go immediately.

I think here there is a lot of confusion and a lot of unacknowledged agreement. The poll, which really should be rephrased and refreshed, suggests that virtually the entire forum is in agreement that the end of the season is also the end of the road for Emery. Between the accusations of 'Emery lovers' and 'Emery haters' there may be more consensus than is readily acknowledged.

There is much debate over Emery's style of play and our current results. Some argue that the results are good enough to justify not sacking Emery (immediately), while others argue the style of play warrants his (immediate) dismissal. Now, I think a lot of people here conflate an argument against immediate dismissal with an argument against dismissal at the end of the season. Vice versa, arguments for dismissal at the end of the season are conflated with wanting to sack him immediately. Similarly, people appear to conflate one positive or negative statement with approval or disapproval of everything Emery does. It seems, for a signifanct number of posters, any criticism equates to wanting him out immediately and any support equates to wanting him to stay after this season. It leads to hyperbole and needless annoyance on both sides of the argument.

It is perfectly possible to simultaneously want Emery out at the end of the season, to be happy with third place right now and to be unhappy with (aspects of) our style of play. It is not all-or-nothing. This forum is sadly becoming more and more polarised. I have no easy solutions to these issues and can only, naively perhaps, plead for calmer tempers, fewer insults and more nuance. Above all, we need clearer communication.

Toast

Established Member
As an addendum to my previous post, I would propose a reformulation of the poll in this thread to clarify general positions among the membership. Question: "Should Emery's tenure be extended?" The four options should, in my view, be the following:

A) I will decide on this issue only at the end of the season
B) Extend his contract by a year if we make top 4
C) Do not renew at the end of the season even if we make top 4
E) Fire him as soon as possible
F) Extend his contract even if we do not make top 4

This, at least, might channel debate into slightly more productive avenues.

@yousif_arsenal @celestis @blaze_of_glory @redwhiteAustrian @Aevi @American_Gooner

Last edited:

Iceman10

Established Member
The poll, which really should be rephrased and refreshed, suggests that virtually the entire forum is in agreement that the end of the season is also the end of the road for Emery.

40% for the poll are with:
"Meh - let's see how things pan out this season"

... so you might be better off asking for a new poll because your assumption is not necessarily valid. Actually I would wager a lot of the polarisation here is that people know he is not going to be sacked now and there is good likelihood of him getting top 4, and they know by getting top 4 with our club board and culture in all likelihood he won't be sacked if he secures top 4. It's not necessarily polarisation, but more people thrashing around in endless circles in frustration. No one can heal that.

Toast

Established Member
40% for the poll are with:
"Meh - let's see how things pan out this season"

... so you might be better off asking for a new poll because your assumption is not necessarily valid. Actually I would wager a lot of the polarisation here is that people know he is not going to be sacked now and there is good likelihood of him getting top 4, and they know by getting top 4 with our club board and culture in all likelihood he won't be sacked if he secures top 4.

Correct, which is why I included the line "which really should be rephrased and refreshed" and added the addendum post asking for a new poll.

teamsoutheast

Quick reminder that we drew against United this Monday.

Even Newcastle managed to win.

Need our boss to grow a pair and play to win.
Newcastle were at home. We beat them at their place at the start of the season. A polite reminder that this is the Premier League, anyone can beat anyone.

Beksl

Sell All The Youngsters
How can you say there’s an agenda against him after watching that? Bournemouth have one of the worst defences statistically in the league and we didn’t create a single clear cut chance from open play against them.

We won mate.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arsenal Quotes

As far as i'm concerned, Tony Adams is the effing Empire State Building

Ian Wright

Latest posts

Top Bottom