• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

The Wish List

Mitch

Blonde Brigade Grand Wizard
Koulibaly and Upamecano not good enough in my opinion from what I've seen of them we dont need another highly error prone CB. I'd go for Dunk.

Ndidi is another technically limited destroyer old fashioned DCM who would stick out like sore thumb amongst technical players like Flamini did in second his spell. Torreira is levels above Ndidi.

Last edited:
Reactions: roz

Juan Matas Beard

Pronouns: dat, guy 🫶
Trusted ⭐

Koulibaly and Upamecano not good enough in my opinion from what I've seen of them we dont need another highly error prone CB. I'd go for Dunk.

Ndidi is another technically limited destroyer old fashioned DCM who would stick out like sore thumb at amongst technical players like Flamini did in second his spell. Torreira is levels above Ndidi.

Is Upamecano really that error prone considering his age?

(Sorry for posting in this thread, I realise it’s Arsenal related. Just curious.)

Mitch

(Sorry for posting in this thread, I realise it’s Arsenal related. Just curious.)

Just going on what I saw of him in the under 21s tournament, him and and the other French CB were Frances worst players and just woeful..

Jakarta

In:
Zaha (50-60m)
Doucoure (35m)
Ziyech or Brandt (Supposedly 25m release clauses)
Grealish
Jonathan Tah
Tierney

+ Backup target man striker and CM...can't think of any right now

Out:
Özil
Lacazette(need the cash)
Xhaka
Mustafi
Iwobi
Mkhitaryan
Monreal
Elneny

Leno
Bellerin Sokratis Tah Tierney
Torreira Doucoure
Ziyech/Brandt Grealish Zaha
Aubameyang​
Bring back Nelson/Smith Rowe...and pack the bench with hungry exciting prospects.

@Rex Banter

In before everyone gets on the hype train.

Grealish was on my wishlist in May. What a gem of a player...better than Maddison and Mount.

Fewtch

Özil at 10 And Emery Out
Just going on what I saw of him in the under 21s tournament, him and and the other French CB were Frances worst players and just woeful..
How much have you seen of him at Leipzig? Big difference in how some players perform in these international youth tournaments with minimum preparation compared to with their clubs. Aouar was just as bad for France and he’d walk into this team.

Goonger

How much have you seen of him at Leipzig? Big difference in how some players perform in these international youth tournaments with minimum preparation compared to with their clubs. Aouar was just as bad for France and he’d walk into this team.

To me, Upamecano is a definite upgrade in what we have. He has the pace, power, physicality that we lack. The club have an obvious interest in him as we bid in the summer, and with his contract running out in 18 months, seems the most obtainable. Think it would only be a summer transfer though, as given Leipzig's position it would be madness to sell him in January.

What i would say, watching snippets of him, is there are times where he looks awkward. Like he struggles to sort his feet out quickly when balls come quickly at him for instance. He can also have problems positionally, but that can come with experience.

roz

Fake News Merchant

He really is, dont get the hype personally. Strong and quick in the tackle but thats about it. Gives away simple passes alot during a game. I Imagine the intensity of the premiership would highlight that even more

Fewtch

Özil at 10 And Emery Out
To me, Upamecano is a definite upgrade in what we have. He has the pace, power, physicality that we lack. The club have an obvious interest in him as we bid in the summer, and with his contract running out in 18 months, seems the most obtainable. Think it would only be a summer transfer though, as given Leipzig's position it would be madness to sell him in January.

What i would say, watching snippets of him, is there are times where he looks awkward. Like he struggles to sort his feet out quickly when balls come quickly at him for instance. He can also have problems positionally, but that can come with experience.
I like him a lot but I hope we get in an experienced player to partner with Saliba, preferably Koulibaly as he wants to leave Napoli and the owner is looking to sell him. We need someone who can make an immediate impact at the back and bring some much needed leadership qualities to the team. As one of the best CBs on the ball in the world he’d also be perfect for what Arteta is trying to build at the moment.

Rex Stone

Long live the fighters
Trusted ⭐

Dunk and Grealish.

Not sure about Dunk, think he’s a decent to good CB but for the money Brighton would want it’d be a pretty dodgy buy. He’s looked uncomfortable at times this year under Potter in a high line and playing out from the back.

They were quoting Leicester 50M for him when they wanted a Maguire replacement.

I think the Brighton CB we should be having a look at is Ben White on loan at Leeds.

Absolute top talent he is, leader of that Leeds defence this year and he’s been great in a high line for a ball dominant team. Also he’s great on the ball, really safe passer and can carry it out of defence really well.

He’ll be in the England squad within two years, no doubt for me.

Mitch

None. Could well be a very good player for his club. I am just just going on what I've seen of him.

sykesy69

Running into the box would leave gaps in the midfield for opponent to exploit. Midfielders leaving their position will also lead to less passing options in the midfield area.

Scoring from long shot is not how we play. We play beautiful possession passing football. We work the ball into the opponent box.

Midfielders should have good discipline in positioning and be EITHER skillful, technical, good at teamwork, with good passing range and accuracy, OR big, strong, defensive to protect the defensive line.
So by this definition, we shouldn't be looking at midfielders in the same ilk as De Bruyne, Bernado Silva, Frank Lampard, Aaron Ramsey etc, because from Midfield the arrive or drive into the box to score goals but leave their positions to leave gaps to exploited?

The above have managed to do this with great effect and imo it depends on the system they play in.

From what I saw in the Bournemouth game we played with a double pivot and inverted FB in midfield freeing Özil between the lines and half spaces. If we had a creative/goal threat No.8 instead of Özil in those spaces, there is a solidity behind him so no exploit, giving goal threat in shots, play making and defensive stability.

Equally I believe we could play that same system with a single DM and 2 similar No.8's (as Man City do), with similar results, as long as the players know their roles in and out of possession, so to write that style of player off imo is incorrect.

Football Manager

Copy & Paste Merchant
So by this definition, we shouldn't be looking at midfielders in the same ilk as De Bruyne, Bernado Silva, Frank Lampard, Aaron Ramsey etc, because from Midfield the arrive or drive into the box to score goals but leave their positions to leave gaps to exploited?

The above have managed to do this with great effect and imo it depends on the system they play in.

From what I saw in the Bournemouth game we played with a double pivot and inverted FB in midfield freeing Özil between the lines and half spaces. If we had a creative/goal threat No.8 instead of Özil in those spaces, there is a solidity behind him so no exploit, giving goal threat in shots, play making and defensive stability.

Equally I believe we could play that same system with a single DM and 2 similar No.8's (as Man City do), with similar results, as long as the players know their roles in and out of possession, so to write that style of player off imo is incorrect.
Yes for Bernado and De Bruyne.
They are supposed to push up in attack, inverted fullbacks are occupying the midfield area, allowing the original midfielders to push up. A disciplined well planned act. They move within a planned zone, not freely.

Please read:
City press high up straight after they lost the ball in defensive transition. And they do it for a reason. First advantage is you win the ball back in a dangerous area. Second, you prevent the opponent to exploit the spacecraft behind. And third, to track back is very energy consuming.
That’s a very logical transition for an attacking team playing a high defensive line.

But even if they press or track back with high energy, they move together and do it as a team. The team is always in shape. And it’s a planned disciplined act.

City will not have a box to box like Ramsey that runs up all the time, positioning himself in front of their strikers, leaving their midfield with huge gaps, and reduce passing options in midfield.
They will not have a central player defending or making passes next to the side line. Leaving the central area empty. They roam freely without discipline at all.

And most box to box does not have a good long range pass in them. Simply because they almost always choose to drive up the pitch with the ball or making short passes instead.

No thanks for Ramsey , Lampard.

Last edited:

sykesy69

Yes for Bernado and De Bruyne.
They are supposed to push up in attack, inverted fullbacks are occupying the midfield area, allowing the original midfielders to push up. A disciplined well planned act. They move within a planned zone, not freely.

No thanks for Ramsey , Lampard.
Well Ramsey's not about to come back and Fat Frank is now a coach so you're fine, but I'm sure you get my point. The heavy burden on our strikers could be lifted with such players.

Football Manager

Copy & Paste Merchant
Well Ramsey's not about to come back and Fat Frank is now a coach so you're fine, but I'm sure you get my point. The heavy burden on our strikers could be lifted with such players.
No and I mean no for prime Lampard and Ramsey, because they break the midfield balance. Result in less possession and less chance created. The team will score less overall. They add pressure in defence, so we concede more in general. Lampard and Gerrard wasn’t exposed because they have a whole team parking in front of their own goal for them, playing defensive boring long ball football. You can see with cazorla, arteta, fabregas, yes they scored less, but our team ticks so well playing some very good flowing football, the strikers and wingers scored a lot more. With ramsey, yes he score a bit, but our team looked disjointed, can’t create chances and we conceded a lot more.

Last edited:

sykesy69

No and I mean no for prime Lampard and Ramsey, because they break the midfield balance. Result in less possession and less chance created. The team will score less overall. They add pressure in defence, so we concede more in general. Lampard and Gerrard wasn’t exposed because they have a whole team parking in front of their own goal for them, playing defensive boring long ball football.
Unless you can provide hard evidence to support this, I'm not really buying it.

In a system that doesn't cover for midfielders going forward, I can understand. But in systems where players are switched on and tuck in when certain players go forward, they can be gold dust.

Our latter Wenger teams used to get broken on at will because we had not very good DM's, both FB's that would get caught too high up the pitch and no pressing game, not because we had a midfielder arriving/driving into the box.

Football Manager

Copy & Paste Merchant
Unless you can provide hard evidence to support this, I'm not really buying it.

In a system that doesn't cover for midfielders going forward, I can understand. But in systems where players are switched on and tuck in when certain players go forward, they can be gold dust.

Our latter Wenger teams used to get broken on at will because we had not very good DM's, both FB's that would get caught too high up the pitch and no pressing game, not because we had a midfielder arriving/driving into the box.
capture56.jpg

He was in a striker position when he should’ve stand beside Xhaka.
Carragher highlights the gap between Xhaka and Ramsey: ‘And there you’ve got it, look at the space between the midfield players, away from home, big game, Ramsey not even watching the ball.’

Ramsey tried to get back but could do nothing as Firmino heads the ball into the net. As Carragher put it: ‘Completely out the game.’
This had happened too many times in too many matches.

Last edited:

Football Manager

Copy & Paste Merchant
capture56.jpg

Carragher highlights the gap between Xhaka and Ramsey: ‘And there you’ve got it, look at the space between the midfield players, away from home, big game, Ramsey not even watching the ball.’

Ramsey tried to get back but could do nothing as Firmino heads the ball into the net. As Carragher put it: ‘Completely out the game.’
This had happened too many times in too many matches.
That’s why we need a Tonali/Neves. Not Rabiot/Doucoure.

sykesy69

capture56.jpg

Skillset, discipline or system issue? To me that's a discipline or system issue, not skillset.

This possession based ideal you seem to have would require midfielders making late runs into the box against teams who sit in a low block, which is a skillset.

Arsenal Quotes

It’s not impossible to go through a season unbeaten and I can’t see why it’s shocking to say that.

Arsène Wenger, 2 years before the Invincibles completed the unbeaten league season
Top Bottom