• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Mesut Özil (Out)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tir Na Nog

Changes Opinion Every 5 Minutes

It'll be such a relief when this is over, for everyone's sake. It's be an unwanted distraction for such a long time now, that contract we gave him 3 years ago is one of the biggest disasters in recent history. Dropped by successive managers yet paid like he's a undeniable superstar. The assists dried up, the performances dipped and the good ones few and far between, constant questions for successive managers in press conferences. It's been such a headache.

But what a wonderful player he was the majority of his time here, 2013-17 he was fantastic to watch, and there has been a handful of magical performances since then. When we signed him it felt like a seismic shift, I'll never forget the night before and the day of his signing. He's contributed to some wonderful moments.

El Duderino

That's, like, your opinion, man.

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

Listen, his man management needs work, but this clap back was great, ngl.

If he leaves, it'll be great because we can move on from this cloud over the club.

Regardless on how you feel about him as a player (I loved seeing him play), it's clear his contract extension backfired massively.

Yousif Arsenal

On Vinai's payroll & misses 4th place trophy 🏆
Trusted ⭐

If he leaves, it'll be great because we can move on from this cloud over the club.

Regardless on how you feel about him as a player (I loved seeing him play), it's clear his contract extension backfired massively.
Arteta is wierd one i agree about his decision about Özil because he got no future at club but then he keep giving chances to guys like Mustafi and Kola who also got no future at club.

El Duderino

That's, like, your opinion, man.
Arteta is wierd one i agree about his decision about Özil because he got no future at club but then he keep giving chances to guys like Mustafi and Kola who also got no future at club.

It is what it is, I believe Özil is a mixture of footballing and non-footballing issues.

The same with Saliba to an extent.

Kola's gone, so I think he doesn't really rate him. Wanting to extend Mustafi was worrying from the club, tho.

Rimaal

Mesmerised By Raccoons
Trusted ⭐

:lol: We end up in a relegation battle without a 10, and as soon as a 10 is brought in we move up the table. Yet the man who told us he bought Willian to be our creative player, and that Ceballos is a good midfielder, expects us to be surprised that he does not know what it takes to assemble a winning squad.

The man is an idiot and proves it with every statement he makes to the press.

Tir Na Nog

Changes Opinion Every 5 Minutes

He speaks with such conviction here that you start to wonder maybe it is purely for footballing reasons. Either that or he's a sensational liar because he keeps eye contact the whole time, doesn't shown any nerves or any of the classic signs of lying or being unsure when saying something.

Whatever it was there was clearly something where Arteta just decided Özil wouldn't be part of his plans going forward anymore.

Macho

DJ Machodemiks
Dusted 🔻

lol 3 wins on the bounce against fodder and he's got bass in his voice all of a sudden.

Fair play, he's outlasted Özil - there were times I didn't think he would.

Balboa

It'll be such a relief when this is over, for everyone's sake. It's be an unwanted distraction for such a long time now, that contract we gave him 3 years ago is one of the biggest disasters in recent history. Dropped by successive managers yet paid like he's a undeniable superstar. The assists dried up, the performances dipped and the good ones few and far between, constant questions for successive managers in press conferences. It's been such a headache.

But what a wonderful player he was the majority of his time here, 2013-17 he was fantastic to watch, and there has been a handful of magical performances since then. When we signed him it felt like a seismic shift, I'll never forget the night before and the day of his signing. He's contributed to some wonderful moments.

Also, it wasn't a seismic shift...

I believe this draws a line under a 7-8 year project from the time when Arsenal started to spend more money, starting with Özil's signing...

The project failed to deliver sustained improvement, or a single convincing title challenge. Instead, it brough 4 glorious FA cups and a steady decline in league performance, squad and football quality.

The marquee signings haven't work. They are mostly quick fixes and PR moves... Özil, Alexis, Lacazette, Aubameyang, Pepe.... none have spurred a sustainable rebuild. There have been some excellent INDIVIDUAL contributions, but a cohesive squad build never formed...

I would like Arsenal to ditch some of the hubris that has characterised their transfer strategy. I don't care if Alexis offered uneal individual brilliance, he was not a good influence on the squad or team cohesion and the club didn't profit from a big transfer sale to fund a rebuild.

The way for the hubris to be ditched, in my view, is to build a squad of players mostly in the 20-25 years old, under £30 million, domestic/Scottish league clubs, hard working, good physical engines, hungry to better themselves at Arsenal category. No more holes in the squad or other squad imbalances. Two hard working players competing for every position. When they peak in value at 25-27, sell if the deal makes sense to use the money to get that final push towards a Europa League win or top 4 finish. This is a strategy that has served Liverpool, Sp**s and Leicester in raising the quality of their squads. Arsenal do not have the money to play Man City, Man Utd & Chelsea at their own game.

HairSprayGooners

My brother posted it ⏩
I doubt it’s that simple. He’s not going to give up £9m that easily. There’ll probably be a pay-off, possibly the difference in salary between what they pay him for the next 6 months and what we would have.

I'm sure if there's any negative against the deal you'll pop up and say how poor Edu and Arteta are :)

Balboa

Had to pinch myself this morning to make sure i was not dreaming. Godspeed, and good luck to you.

This type of jinxing isn't what I want to see personally...

I believe that the accepted ettiquette is to wait for Ornstein to tweet or Arsenal.com to announce, then it's GIF time?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arsenal Quotes

There is no chance of Sol ever leaving for Arsenal. He is a Spurs fan and there is not a hope in hell of him playing in an Arsenal shirt.

David Buchler, Tottenham Vice-Chairman, 2001

Latest posts

Top Bottom