• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Bernd Leno: Chosen One

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blood on the Tracks

AG's best friend, role model and mentor.
Trusted ⭐

Player:Rice
I think Leno gets judged a bit harshly because a lot wanted to keep Martinez over him last summer.

Leno's a very good goalkeeper in his own right. His confidence and command of the penalty area seems to be growing this season.

I like to look at our starting 11 players and judge them on the basis of if they're good enough to be a top 4 player, that's where we want to be . I think Leno is. Certainly not a player I'd be looking to upgrade anytime soon.

Melquiades

I think Leno gets judged a bit harshly because a lot wanted to keep Martinez over him last summer.

Leno's a very good goalkeeper in his own right. His confidence and command of the penalty area seems to be growing this season.

I like to look at our starting 11 players and judge them on the basis of if they're good enough to be a top 4 player, that's where we want to be . I think Leno is. Certainly not a player I'd be looking to upgrade anytime soon.

Yeah, I don't know that he's a top-5 PL keeper but I'd certainly say he's in the top 6-8, and I would agree completely that we have a lot better things to spend on than shelling out 50 or 80 million for a small upgrade on Leno.

The #2 keeper on the other hand, needs to be addressed immediately.

Gooner416

Master of Stonks
Trusted ⭐

My gripe with Leno has always been his communication and organization of the defence. There's no doubt he's a good keeper and he seems to be improving under the new GK coach, but what I miss from Emi was the communication to the backline. He seems a little shy back there.

tap-in

Nothing Wrong With Me

I was one of those who really wanted to keep Martinez and keep him as our starting keeper. At no point though did I feel Leno wasn't a decent keeper. I still think Emi is better and can point to his performances for Villa to support it. Its no longer a purple patch, he's shown that given a run he is a top keeper. I fully understand that keeping 2 top keepers is very difficult though and I accept the clubs decision.

Blood on the Tracks

AG's best friend, role model and mentor.
Trusted ⭐

Player:Rice
I was one of those who really wanted to keep Martinez and keep him as our starting keeper. At no point though did I feel Leno wasn't a decent keeper. I still think Emi is better and can point to his performances for Villa to support it. Its no longer a purple patch, he's shown that given a run he is a top keeper. I fully understand that keeping 2 top keepers is very difficult though and I accept the clubs decision.

I favoured keeping Emi too but I think it was pretty much a 50/50 call in the end. Leno is more than good enough so I'm not going too complain to much.

I'm still a bit sad Emi left though, it's weird seeing him in a Villa shirt. I'm glad he's carrying on his good form there. He deserves it after all the patience and effort he's put in to get to this point in his career.

Last edited:

Sapient Hawk

Can You Smell What The Hawk Is Cooking?
Trusted ⭐

He's better than Kepa, not as good as Emi.

His problem is that he'll always be judged against his compatriot & first successful cyborg, Manuel Neuer, that's a battle no living goal-keeper can hope to win :lol:

Sapient Hawk

Trusted ⭐

My one regret is that he never followed his idol, Mad Jens Lehmann, in joining us from Schalke when we still might've had the chance of getting him in.

I keep imagining what things might've been had we not been saddled with Almunia, Fabianski & Szczesny all those years.

Rimaal

Mesmerised By Raccoons
Trusted ⭐
My one regret is that he never followed his idol, Mad Jens Lehmann, in joining us from Schalke when we still might've had the chance of getting him in.

I keep imagining what things might've been had we not been saddled with Almunia, Fabianski & Szczesny all those years.

Why stop at Neuer? So many players we could have signed that would have changed our fortunes. It's a deadly game, this. :lol:

Riou

In The Winchester, Waiting For This To Blow Over

Player:Gabriel

Don't lump Woj in with them, was/is a quality keeper.

Sapient Hawk

Trusted ⭐

Why stop at Neuer? So many players we could have signed that would have changed our fortunes. It's a deadly game, this. :lol:

Indeed. The problem is the lines are so blurred you don't know where an innocent guessing game ends and a prolonged session in mental masochism begins!

Few clubs have done a number on its supporters the way Arsenal has :lol:

Sapient Hawk

Trusted ⭐

I have heard there is this other Bayern player we could have signed called Gnabry something... o_O

Alas, this is a far more egregious example of negligence as we had said player & willingly let him go without a fair go in the first team!

Arsenal4life14

One of the major things i hated about Leno was how long it took him to distribute the ball, Sometimes he can take a lifetime to find someone and it just slows our play down too much. He's improved more recently on it though. Solid today.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arsenal Quotes

I’ve told Dave to cut off his ponytail. I think it makes him less aerodynamic.

Arsène Wenger

Latest posts

Top Bottom