• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

PL: Wolves vs Arsenal | Tuesday 2nd February | KO: 18:00 UTC | BT Sport

Match Prediction

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

DUFFMAN

Crybaby
You’re clearly not arguing this situation, you’re arguing a situation that you made up in your head. I know you’re trying to make a larger argument, but it’s so far off that it doesn’t have relation.

Judges have to understand the “spirit of the law” when making judgements even if the law is 20,000 pages long. 200 pages is nothing if it’s the only document you follow at work btw lol

in this case it’s not just the spirit, it’s the wording. And it’s this:

Screen-Shot-2021-02-02-at-19.31.58-08da.png

Luiz is so far away from him. It’s an absurd call. And it’s absurd for you to think he did something rash here. If this is a penalty, our players need to trail their legs and kick the opponent behind them more often.
I've never been so certain in my life if that was an Arsenal player VAR would have made the ref review it, he would have overturned the booking and penalty and booked our player for diving.

Xln

Get me Jesus on the phone 📲
I've never been so certain in my life if that was an Arsenal player VAR would have made the ref review it, he would have overturned the booking and penalty and booked our player for diving.
It's corruption bro from top to bottom.

kofigunner

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
Incidentally, on 47 minutes the ball is in the middle of the pitch. No time wasted in injury time. No reason to give Wolves a chance for a final attack.
This. This is the most critical part the manager should be annoyed about. Almost half time. Maintain possession and go into the half up, regroup and return to score some goals. Instead we lose concentration with literally the last kick of the half and calamity occurs.

Zeko

Jesus lad.. there's no such thing as.. "the spirit if the law"

Did you look at the link to the Laws?

The PDF is over 200 pages long.. and thats the straight up letter of the law

You now expect referees to also abide by some unwritten "spirit of the laws" too?

The rules of football (or most sports) are not like rules of math and as such, they are subject to interpretation, the same as the state law. The way we interpret the law should be in line with what is called the spirit of the law which means that we should enforce the law in a way that achieves some desired effect.
If things are as simple as you claim, why have the refereeing organizations spent the last decade or more trying to establish an unbreakable rule for handball? On the surface it looks simple, you touch the ball with the hand you get punished. But they realized there are edge cases, for example, the ball can touch your hand while running accidentally and this is not what they designed the rule to protect. So they changed the handball rule to include the word intentional. Then they realized that it is impossible to look into the player's brain to determine if handball was or wasn't intentional. So they tried to explain the word intentional with several additions (natural position of the hand, does the ball move toward the hand or vice-versa etc.).
They are still battling with a good definition, so it is very important to keep in mind why the handball rule, like any other, exists in the first place.
It is the same with today's situation.

Mo Britain

Doom Monger
This. This is the most critical part the manager should be annoyed about. Almost half time. Maintain possession and go into the half up, regroup and return to score some goals. Instead we lose concentration with literally the last kick of the half and calamity occurs.
I agree the manager should be annoyed. But the referee should have blown, it was time up and he wasn't even checking.

2Smokeyy

5.0 ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ (49)
Trusted ⭐

I don’t. Man of the match against Man City. We’d have lost without him, I’m 100% sure. His experience and leadership was vital in the final too. Knew how to handle Giroud. Remember when he nudged Giroud in the back who went down like he got shot? Luiz knows how to handle those players.

Auba was definitely the man of the match for me. He was excellent in that semi final and it’s easy to say but without his effectiveness in front of goal, we wouldn’t have had a chance against that City team. Tierney and AMN were fantastic too but I agree David Luiz was solid during that game.

A few good games over the course of a season doesn’t change my opinion of a player which is why I was against signing Luiz and his best buddy, Willian.

drippin

Obsessed with "Mature Trusted Members"

Incidentally, on 47 minutes the ball is in the middle of the pitch. No time wasted in injury time. No reason to give Wolves a chance for a final attack.

I literally thought at that last kick, why is our midfield looking so empty, when we couldn't have time for an attack anymore, or need to.

Didn't think it would materialize like this, but all the bad things happened in a row.

Arteta and the team gets the blame for it. Not good.

Baguette

Le Manberg Français
Auba was definitely the man of the match for me. He was excellent in that semi final and it’s easy to say but without his effectiveness in front of goal, we wouldn’t have had a chance against that City team. Tierney and AMN were fantastic too but I agree David Luiz was solid during that game.

A few good games over the course of a season doesn’t change my opinion of a player which is why I was against signing Luiz and his best buddy, Willian.

You’re right about Auba. Still, I don’t think Luiz’s cup performances can be understated. He was more than good. He was immense. We need such experience in our team, it helps a lot, also as a sort of mentor for the likes of Gabriel.

Mo Britain

Doom Monger
Can't deny that, but 1-1, 11v11 wouldnt be near as bad as 1-1, 11 v 10. The ref made that one happen out of nothing.
I'm certainly not arguing that. At worst it was a penalty and a yellow, at best a yellow for diving. The identity of the defender chasing the forwards is totally irrelevant, a complete and utter red herring.

We'd have won the game with 11 v 11 even at 1-1. We were all over them and we had more on the bench waiting.

Rasmi

Negative Nancy

Daaamn didn’t watch this as I was sleep. Surprised we lost. Looks like our lack of discipline cost us

Xln

Get me Jesus on the phone 📲
Daaamn didn’t watch this as I was sleep. Surprised we lost. Looks like our lack of discipline cost us
We had them on the ropes until the Wolves acolyte refferee decided to change it. Don't think it's a discipline issue, the refs are a joke. They are coming out now saying a tackle would've given him a yellow but the last times he did this he also got sent off...

CaseUteinberger

Established Member

Not surprised one best refs in England not PL anymore I'm sure got sick of Mike Riley.
The PL refs are an absolute joke. VAR just makes it all the more obvious. Not sure they even know the rules.

Plus the penalty and red card rule is just so ridiculously harsh. It basically decides the game then and there. All the while Pickford can smash through VVD's knees and not even get a yellow. Explain that logic to any sentient being if you can!

Yousif Arsenal

On Vinai's payroll & misses 4th place trophy 🏆
Trusted ⭐
If Luiz made a tackle took out the player and ref give pen the ref will give Luiz yellow card that according to rules. What stupid rules this seriously they desperately want to ruin football because it should be the opposite. Players now will look for minimal contact make it look accidental so they'll win penalty and get the opposite player sent off.

Yousif Arsenal

On Vinai's payroll & misses 4th place trophy 🏆
Trusted ⭐
The PL refs are an absolute joke. VAR just makes it all the more obvious. Not sure they even know the rules.

Plus the penalty and red card rule is just so ridiculously harsh. It basically decides the game then and there. All the while Pickford can smash through VVD's knees and not even get a yellow. Explain that logic to any sentient being if you can!
Yes it's should be the opposite they messing up the rules just like the handball rules early this season

BaZZe

Always Blaming Refs

What's beyond me is that I hear they broadcast the refs mics in Rugby in situations like this, same with Ice hockey I think. Why can't we have that in football so at least it's a bit more transparent? They did it once in Australia why not make it a permanent thing?

juice man

Can't make his mind up
So if Luiz went to ground and clattered him, it would have been a yellow, but because the incidental contact wasn’t an attempt at the ball he deserves red? I don’t get it. Think the refs need to exercise some common sense instead of blindly using the letter of the law.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Arsenal Quotes

When you grow up with a club and you end up playing for them and winning things, you are from that club. I was born here. I was formulated here.

Liam Brady
Top Bottom