• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Manager Wish-List Thread

Who do you want?

• Brendan Rodgers

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Antonio Conte

• Christophe Galtier

• Roberto Martinez

• Paulo Fonseca

• Gian Piero Gasperini

• Total voters

bingobob

A-M’s Resident Hunskelper
Trusted ⭐

Mr Potter is doing a great job at Brighton. A nice style on the eye, young, working on a tight budget and improving players.

I get Pochettino type vibes from him. Both started at European teams moved to lower PL teams and both done well. Do you take a gamble on him making the step up?

His Wikipedia page makes for fantastic reading. A Masters in Leadership and Emotional intelligence. I've no idea what it involves but it sounds like it would be highly important at the top level of football.

From his Wiki
With support from the Professional Footballers' Association, Potter graduated from the Open University in December 2005 with a degree in Social Sciences.[8] He worked as a football development manager for the University of Hull and as technical director for the Ghana women's team at the 2007 FIFA Women's World Cup.[9] He became assistant coach for the England Universities Squad,[10] before joining Leeds Metropolitan University in a similar role; while at Leeds, he completed a master's in leadership and emotional intelligence.[9]

ÖstersundEdit

In December 2010, Potter signed a three-year contract as coach of Östersund, who were then playing in the fourth tier of Swedish football, starting on 24 January 2011.[11] Potter was offered the job after Graeme Jones, his friend and assistant to Roberto Martínez at Swansea City, recommended him to chairman Daniel Kindberg after their pre-season friendly with Swansea.[12]

In 2013, after two successive promotions, Potter extended his contract with the club for another three years.[13] On 27 October 2015, Östersund secured promotion to the Swedish top flight, Allsvenskan, for the first time in their history following a second-place finish in the 2015 Superettan.[14] Östersund finished their debut season in eighth place, winning plaudits for their "slick passing game" and competing on a limited budget.[15][16]

On 13 April 2017, Potter's Östersund team won the Svenska Cupen, beating Norrköping 4–1 in the final.[17] This granted the team a place in the second qualifying round of the 2017–18 UEFA Europa League where they defeated Galatasaray 3–1 on aggregate.[18] In the third round they defeated Fola Esch 3–1 on aggregate[19] and in the play-offs they knocked out PAOK (3–3 on aggregate with more away goals), thus securing a historic entry into the Europa League group stage.[20][15] They finished second in their group, level on points with Athletic Bilbao.[21] Despite beating Arsenal 2–1 at the Emirates Stadium, they were eliminated from the competition after losing 4–2 on aggregate.[22] Östersund finished their domestic league season in fifth place.[18]

lamby22

It's Not Lupus

Will Rogers really play the Arsenal brand of football though?

I think we need to get Potter or Sarri as they're teams have played a style similar to Wenger's. We shouldn't lose our Identity.
At the moment Arsenal have no brand of football. And our identity is gone. Wouldn't say no to Potter, not sure on Sarri though - at least he'd be entertaining.

GoonerJay24

At the moment Arsenal have no brand of football. And our identity is gone. Wouldn't say no to Potter, not sure on Sarri though - at least he'd be entertaining.

Your right but we should try going back to it as soon as possible. For the moment though I wouldn't mind hiring a Benitez type manager to stop the decline and then go for Potter in a couple of years.

Toby

No longer a Stuttgart Fan
Mr Potter is doing a great job at Brighton. A nice style on the eye, young, working on a tight budget and improving players.

I get Pochettino type vibes from him. Both started at European teams moved to lower PL teams and both done well. Do you take a gamble on him making the step up?

His Wikipedia page makes for fantastic reading. A Masters in Leadership and Emotional intelligence. I've no idea what it involves but it sounds like it would be highly important at the top level of football.

From his Wiki
With support from the Professional Footballers' Association, Potter graduated from the Open University in December 2005 with a degree in Social Sciences.[8] He worked as a football development manager for the University of Hull and as technical director for the Ghana women's team at the 2007 FIFA Women's World Cup.[9] He became assistant coach for the England Universities Squad,[10] before joining Leeds Metropolitan University in a similar role; while at Leeds, he completed a master's in leadership and emotional intelligence.[9]

ÖstersundEdit

In December 2010, Potter signed a three-year contract as coach of Östersund, who were then playing in the fourth tier of Swedish football, starting on 24 January 2011.[11] Potter was offered the job after Graeme Jones, his friend and assistant to Roberto Martínez at Swansea City, recommended him to chairman Daniel Kindberg after their pre-season friendly with Swansea.[12]

In 2013, after two successive promotions, Potter extended his contract with the club for another three years.[13] On 27 October 2015, Östersund secured promotion to the Swedish top flight, Allsvenskan, for the first time in their history following a second-place finish in the 2015 Superettan.[14] Östersund finished their debut season in eighth place, winning plaudits for their "slick passing game" and competing on a limited budget.[15][16]

On 13 April 2017, Potter's Östersund team won the Svenska Cupen, beating Norrköping 4–1 in the final.[17] This granted the team a place in the second qualifying round of the 2017–18 UEFA Europa League where they defeated Galatasaray 3–1 on aggregate.[18] In the third round they defeated Fola Esch 3–1 on aggregate[19] and in the play-offs they knocked out PAOK (3–3 on aggregate with more away goals), thus securing a historic entry into the Europa League group stage.[20][15] They finished second in their group, level on points with Athletic Bilbao.[21] Despite beating Arsenal 2–1 at the Emirates Stadium, they were eliminated from the competition after losing 4–2 on aggregate.[22] Östersund finished their domestic league season in fifth place.[18]

Didn't know about his prior education before Ostersunds, but that gives me serious Matarazzo vibes and he's been the jackpot for Stuttgart. Imo Potter is worth a try with a capeable DoF at his side.

dka1

100% Dark Chocolate
Trusted ⭐

Isn't he already committed to Schalke?

That's an excellent question and funnily the article I quoted was all about him re-joining Schalke but apparently it's not going to happen:

dka1

100% Dark Chocolate
Trusted ⭐

He worked as a football development manager for the University of Hull and as technical director for the Ghana women's team at the 2007 FIFA Women's World Cup.

As a Ghanaian all I can say is bring him home!!!!

200.gif

dka1

100% Dark Chocolate
Trusted ⭐

Nope. He was in serious talks with them, but the Schalke leadership couldn't agree on who they wanted, so Rangnick, who demands absolute support and faith in his ideas and work, decided against joining them before they could even say no themselves.

Your thoughts on Rangnick Toby? Sorry if you've already mentioned it before....

Toby

Your thoughts on Rangnick Toby? Sorry if you've already mentioned it before....

Should be a prime target as he can fill both the manager and DoF role. He's got a specific philosophy and knows how to build clubs. He's the prime disciple of the Helmut Groß school which has (at times through Rangnick) influenced or brought out the likes of Klopp, Tuchel, Tedesco, Svensson, Hasenhuettl, R. Schmidt, Rose, Marsch, Nagelsmann, Matarazzo, Hütter and many more.

dka1

100% Dark Chocolate
Trusted ⭐

Should be a prime target as he can fill both the manager and DoF role. He's got a specific philosophy and knows how to build clubs. He's the prime disciple of the Helmut Groß school which has (at times through Rangnick) influenced or brought out the likes of Klopp, Tuchel, Tedesco, Svensson, Hasenhuettl, R. Schmidt, Rose, Marsch, Nagelsmann, Matarazzo, Hütter and many more.

Yep and I feel the advantage with him is if he ever wanted to shift from the all encompassing "Wenger" type DOF & manager role to simply a DOF it should be an easy transition.

Of course that's if it worked.

Toby

Yep and I feel the advantage with him is if he ever wanted to shift from the all encompassing "Wenger" type DOF & manager role to simply a DOF it should be an easy transition.

Of course that's if it worked.

He's done that before due to health issues and stress levels at Salzburg and Leipzig. At both clubs he was just the DoF who employed coaches like Hasenhuettl, Hütter, Zorniger, etc. and only stepped in when an interim was needed. But he's said he'd also coach again if it was the right opportunity. Also said he'd love to work in England.

Toby

@dka91 You know the other big advantage of Rangnick would be getting rid of both Arteta and Edu in one move. You hire Favre, Gallardo, Potter, Galtier, etc. it's likely Edu remains to do his terrible work as DoF which will harm the whole operation.

Following this perspective, the big plus of Rangnick is also he knows what he's doing in (re-)building clubs from top to bottom. You look at Hoffenheim whom he turned into a serious professional club, you look at the Red Bull franchise he's built by himself. He works within the framework of a specific philosophy and recruits according to it - not just on the field but off the field, too. You look at Hoffenheim's staff to a degree, and to the majority of Red Bull staff and most of them have the common ground of having been brought to the club and having been nurtured by Rangnick. So even after he leaves, he'll have thoroughly installed his philosophy and the entailing identity and staff following that same philosophy will remain at the club. An example is Red Bull more and more developing their own coaches in their own franchise, as well as hiring analysts and scouts and developing them within their system, sometimes grooming them for bigger roles.

Of course there are other DoFs I'd trust to rebuild Arsenal following a certain identity which will then be in place for a long time - something I think most fans hoped would be the case with Wenger's legacy - but for such a project Rangnick seems the standout candidate. Arsenal's loss of identity and downfall are not just due to misfiring manager hires, but imo much more down to a rotten core of unable operatives without clear vision.

Football Manager

Copy & Paste Merchant
Yh but he'd get us back into contention for the top six positions and also he's won trophies in his career.
But still
How many times he has been sacked because of poor league position?

Most of his income came from his contract termination fees because he was sacked by clubs after clubs.

Everytime he joined a club, the fans will have the same reaction: “What kind of shxt football is this? This is the most boring shxt in the world! That puts me to sleep! Fxxk this kind of shxt football!”

Fxxk benitez.

I don’t want any defensive managers. It’s not how we should play. But if I really have to pick. Then according to the boringness, it goes:

Simeone> Allegri >Mourinho>>>>>>>>>Pulis>>>>>>>>>>Benitez

dashsnow17

Doesn’t Rate Any Of Our Attackers
Trusted ⭐
Nope. He was in serious talks with them, but the Schalke leadership couldn't agree on who they wanted, so Rangnick, who demands absolute support and faith in his ideas and work, decided against joining them before they could even say no themselves.

Has Rangnick ever actually expressed interest in working abroad? Or going back into management? He's 62 now, idk, maybe he doesn't actually want to take on such a huge project like Arsenal? Maybe i'm wrong.

Toby

Has Rangnick ever actually expressed interest in working abroad? Or going back into management? He's 62 now, idk, maybe he doesn't actually want to take on such a huge project like Arsenal? Maybe i'm wrong.

Yes to all. He wants to do one last project, he's open to coaching again but only if at the same time he's DoF - meaning he won't work under someone else - and just recently he talked about his love for England since he spent time there during University and that he'd be very interested to go there.

Arsenal Quotes

Play for the name on the front of the shirt and they’ll remember the name on the back.

Tony Adams
Top Bottom