• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Josh Doig

Goonger

I am a Hibs fan. Doig is only 18 and broke through this season. He is a great talent and gets better every game. He is defo going to go far so if Arsenal were to sign him it would need to be for the future. He isn't/wouldn't be ready to start if KT got injured should he leave at the end of the season.

Yeah, I'd probably agree, he's too raw to come in right now. He'd be a good idea for a year or 2 from now. So, perhaps Bertrand & Doig down the line, (even buy now & loan back to Hibs perhaps) otherwise if you want a younger back up better someone a year or 2 further on in their development.

bingobob

A-M’s Resident Hunskelper
Trusted ⭐

He won writers Young player of the year. IMO you sign him now and bring him straight to the club. Not sure why people are saying he wouldn't be ready. Are Saka and Martinelli not ready because of their age?

Iceman10

Established Member
He won writers Young player of the year. IMO you sign him now and bring him straight to the club. Not sure why people are saying he wouldn't be ready. Are Saka and Martinelli not ready because of their age?
A Scot on another thread a few days back said the player won that award but still was likely not ready, presumably based on watching him play. Not sure who else has watched enough of him to determine, maybe you've seen him in a few league matches?

HairSprayGooners

My brother posted it ⏩

Because he's 18 years old with no experience of the premier league in a key position. We are talking about a defender not a full back.

AberGooner

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

Player:Gabriel
That was meant to say forward not full back.
It is risky with a defender to be fair but I look at Thomas at Leicester, similar age as Doig I think and he's started 10 games as backup LB this season and done really well. Doig you could get for £3-5m at a fraction of the wages of Bertrand. You never know he may even turn into a better player than Tierney one day as well.

HairSprayGooners

My brother posted it ⏩
It is risky with a defender to be fair but I look at Thomas at Leicester, similar age as Doig I think and he's started 10 games as backup LB this season and done really well. Doig you could get for £3-5m at a fraction of the wages of Bertrand. You never know he may even turn into a better player than Tierney one day as well.

Leicester want Doig as well. No chance he's 3-5M. You're looking at at least 15M.

Kobi

I Know Who You Are

For that price just get both and cover every base, if Tierney stays fit then Doig’s development and value would be much better served playing a full season on loan as first choice for either a Championship club or a smaller Premier League one.
You get a loan fee and his wages paid, probably in full, making the outlay even less plus you get a much better idea whether he will be able to cut it at this level.
On the other hand if Tierney continues to miss long periods through Injury you know that Bertrand is a solid Premier League left back and you won’t have to worry about throwing a kid in at the deep end, maybe setting his development back a bit or, even worse, the worry of seeing Xhaka at left back for three months.

HairSprayGooners

My brother posted it ⏩
Celtic of Rangers maybe, but it's Hibs - they're broke. Offer them £3-5M and they'll rip our hands off for that deal. That kind of cash for a player, from outside the Old Firm, is a massive deal.

That's fair then it makes sense like that. I still wouldn't feel comfortable having him if Tierney were out for 2 or 3 months. Bertrand makes me feel comfortable. Like someone said getting both and loaning Doig would be excellent business.

Dutch D

Well-Known Member & FPL Champion 19/20
Exactly, young players are hungry to show what they got when they get the rare chance. Thomas is an example, James Justin earlier in the season also at Leicester, Timber at Ajax has been immense when Mazraoui got injured, even got a call up for the national squad, Reece James last season.

The 'won't be starting LB for 10 years' perspective is nonsense. Firstly, if young talents back themselves, they will have faith they can either claim the spot or earn a decent transfer. Secondly, football is unpredictable, how often have we had a position occupied by the same player for 5+ years? How many times have we thought that a player could nail a spot only to get an injury or move away from the club?

dashsnow17

Doesn’t Rate Any Of Our Attackers
Trusted ⭐
Exactly, young players are hungry to show what they got when they get the rare chance. Thomas is an example, James Justin earlier in the season also at Leicester, Timber at Ajax has been immense when Mazraoui got injured, even got a call up for the national squad, Reece James last season.

The 'won't be starting LB for 10 years' perspective is nonsense. Firstly, if young talents back themselves, they will have faith they can either claim the spot or earn a decent transfer. Secondly, football is unpredictable, how often have we had a position occupied by the same player for 5+ years? How many times have we thought that a player could nail a spot only to get an injury or move away from the club?

Arsenal fans are petrified of competition for places, we've even got folk saying we don't need to buy a CAM to compete with ESR. It's m*dness. If Doig is a good young prospect, get him in, I don't see what the problem is.

Yousif Arsenal

On Vinai's payroll & misses 4th place trophy 🏆
Trusted ⭐
Like alot said before you sign Bertrand for short term backup and sign Doig also send him on loan let him develop for 1-2 year so when he comeback he'll be ready to compete. Specially Doig won't be costing lot of money.

Trilly

Hates A-M, Saka, Arteta and You
Trusted ⭐

Orrr...don’t sign Bertrand at all.

Send Doig on loan to the championship with the option to recall him at any moment.

In the meantime gamble on Tierney’s fitness and actually use Cedric/Saka as left back cover. If that works out as a complete disaster then bring Doig back or sign Bertrand/some other jin Jan.

I really don’t want us wasting resources on Bertrand without at least trying some other stuff.

OnlyOne

🎙️ Future Journalist
Trusted ⭐

Orrr...don’t sign Bertrand at all.

Send Doig on loan to the championship with the option to recall him at any moment.

In the meantime gamble on Tierney’s fitness and actually use Cedric/Saka as left back cover. If that works out as a complete disaster then bring Doig back or sign Bertrand/some other jin Jan.

I really don’t want us wasting resources on Bertrand without at least trying some other stuff.

Sounds like a stupid idea from my favorite poster.

Arsenal Quotes

First I went left, he did too. Then I went right and he did too. Then I went left again and he went to buy a hot dog.

Arsene Wenger on dribbling Zinedine Zidane in a charity game

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom